Adios Dish....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MiniTransAm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Well as of last Saturday, I'm no longer a Dish Network subscriber. After over a year of crappy picture quality and being told by technicians "that's just the way it is," I was tired of paying over 90 bucks a month for it. Add to that the terrible customer service, rain fade, and lack of local HD programming in my market. I had Comcast reinstalled and I'm extremely happy. Now my HD looks how it's supposed to look and SD is much improved as well, although not perfect.

I wish I had never got it in the first place. I even ate the 170 something dollar fee for terminating my contract early. It all works out even in the end anyway since I'm getting a deal with Comcast for the few first months. So now I just wait for my boxes to show up to ship back my receivers and remotes. The guy wanted me to get the LNB's down too but I told him no way I don't have a ladder that reaches the roof. So he excluded them at least.

Too bad Dish, you could have had a good customer for many years.

Who cares? Go!

What is the point of your post? Do you announce all your decisions in life?

Hey Scott, How about a special forum for users who feel they need to post that they changed providers? This way we don't have to sift through them looking for interesting information.

Last edited:
Customer Service IS an issue.

Rain Fade however for the most part is a non event, if you are having lots of rain Fade chances are your dish was never installed correctly.

Local in HD is something they are working on, but rome wasnt built in a day and they have only so much spectrum to use.

I myself want to get cable again but only because I want Video On Demand. I want HowardTV and WWE 24/7.

Cable offers things Satellite can't yet by the same tolken Satellite offers things that Cable can't you need to weigh the decission on what is best for you and your lifestyle and budget. :)

Well I know Comcast HD is not better than Dish! It sounds like to me you might have had some other issues like with your hardware or maybe your install. Either way would not be surprised if your back with Dish sometime in the future due to cable companies are not going any where. Either way choose what you want its your choice good luck with Comcast.

*mad_professor* said:
Who cares? Go!

What is the point of your post? Do you announce all your decisions in life?

Hey Scott, How about a special forum for users who feel they need to post that they changed providers? This way we don't have to sift through them looking for interesting information.
What part of the subject line caught you off guard? I like to see the issues folks raise that pushes them to the edge. Knowing that folks from E* and D* read these boards, it may also help improve service to the rest of us.

In the famous words of Sgt. Hulka...lighten up, Francis.

Thanks for your post MiniTransAm.

SW

Myself.... After I boycotted all the landline & cell phone companies, and cable and satellite companies, fast food joints, and the rest of the world, I was happy. Unfortunately, my family didn't see it my way, so I have to associate with some businesses.

Poke said:
Well I know Comcast HD is not better than Dish! It sounds like to me you might have had some other issues like with your hardware or maybe your install. Either way would not be surprised if your back with Dish sometime in the future due to cable companies are not going any where. Either way choose what you want its your choice good luck with Comcast.

I've heard people say that Comcast is either great or horrible depending on where you are. From what people have told me, this is a "good" area and the HD definetly looks better. E* may have more channels, but honestly I never watched them that much. It's possible that I will go back to E* or D* in the future. I'm not ruling it out. We'll just have to see what pans out with everything, including FIOS.

Scott said:
Customer Service IS an issue.

Rain Fade however for the most part is a non event, if you are having lots of rain Fade chances are your dish was never installed correctly.

Local in HD is something they are working on, but rome wasnt built in a day and they have only so much spectrum to use.

I myself want to get cable again but only because I want Video On Demand. I want HowardTV and WWE 24/7.

Cable offers things Satellite can't yet by the same tolken Satellite offers things that Cable can't you need to weigh the decission on what is best for you and your lifestyle and budget.

I hated CSR roulette. It's all been covered on the board before so I won't go into it.

I didn't have alot of rain fade, however it did bug me a bit when it did happen. When the NE got all of that rain a few weeks ago, it happened alot. My signal levels were always good. I never get good OTA signals being in the city and it kinda sucked when severe weather was happening and the dreaded "Acquiring Satelite Signal" screen came up.

On Demand is great, we missed it. We also missed the local Philly stations that Comcast gives us as well.

Like you said I think Comcast just fits us better. The only reason I switched was for price, and that's a non issue now. I think I'm paying $10 bucks more at the most.

Plus if I want to upgrade to a DVR in the future, I don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for something I don't own.

Rain fade was an issue when the Harrisburg locals were inexplicably put on a Spotbeam 4 Transponder 4 which had interference problems with Spotbeam 2 from the south. Switching a few weeks ago from 4s4 to 18s4 should have fixed that problem.

As for the Philly stations, Dish has the approval to add a lot more Significantly Viewed stations, for for some reason has chosen not to do so. ???

:) i think we all take for granted where we are in technology today. one houndred years ago (one persons life time) we had no cars or even electricity. now we are able to see vivid moving picture with stereo sound from outer space! i do think we are paying slightly to much. but we are paying for technology of tomarrow today. they are building new satellites and receivers capable of things we are just dreaming of. i don't think one company is best rather one has features the other doesn't. so it really depends on you. if you want hd dish is it! if you want Tito then directv is it. good luck in your decision. i wish you happiness!:hatsoff:

Actually the first car was invented in 1886 and we have had electricity since 1878 if not before (first battery was 1800 I think)...

But anyway; the technology for satellites has come a long way, rain fade was a frequent event for Sky customers in the 80's and 90's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)