Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Phlatwound, is that a ChannelMaster feed?
That dish looks exactly like the 10' my wife got from the thrift store... right up to the feedhorn & lnb.

Only difference I see is the actuator... mine has a 36" Venture.

.... only to find 3 more Birdviews on poles . . .
The first is a solid . . .
I just love how ugly those white solid Birdviews look after 20 years! - :eek:
Hope lots of owners are embarrassed at the grime, mold, 'n poop they collect. :D
All the easier to talk 'em into giving them away! - :up

Then, after a little cleaning, ya wind up with a dish that looks new!
Or so it seems from all the pictures I see of restored Birds.
Whatever they used for paint must be pretty good!
I still wonder if they had powder-coating back then...:confused:

Congrats

linuxman and the rest,

As per my original post saying there are many old birdview systems not in use in my area i read this and decided to go hunting to my amazement i found 4 birdview dishes in about a 8 mile radius from my house , the nice thing was that 2 of them had conversion kits on them already reed sensor , magnetic wheels feedhorn conversions etc. i know this because i seen what you are talking about looking at the wiring i am now about 100 pct sure that the other 2 do as well i did not have my camera so could not take any pictures but i will tommorow and post . I think i may have 1 for sure, if not all 4 sytems, waiting to hear back on the other 3, also with the 1 that i will be getting to my suprise the gentleman told me that he has a motorolla 4dtv rec,. and another box as well he just was not sure what it was but he is going to give me that as well with the dish . So i am hoping that i will finally be able to get my old birdview system back up and running. Just thought i would share that info will post some pictures tommorow...

If you can score all four, there are people who want them bad enough to pay.

I'd probably recommend you also get at least the top two feet of mast for each. The ultimate user could maybe get a pipe that would fit snugly inside the two foot section. Then either welding or drilling and tapping could secure it.

I own one. It was a chance acquisition. I haven't seen another since then -- meaning last June.

Very Cool Browncow!!!

Like Lone Cloud said, snag all you can get and carry. :)

I am sure there are members close by that would repay you for your efforts at getting them down and home.

Besides, you never know when you might need some extra parts. :cool:

Great find browncow.
WOW 4 birdviews. I found one the other day a solid but do not have enough room for a BUD at my house. Good luck with other three........

Man... I'm just gonna have to quit reading these threads... I can get all the mesh BUDs I can handle but have yet to lay eyes on the mythical Birdview...
I'm considering doing a test on one of my 10' mesh dishes and replacing the mesh with sheet aluminum. I've seen another old thread on here where that was done. I know I can get all the aluminum sheet I want...

Last time I passed by Houston was at 30,000 feet & 8 miles per minute...
Gabshere told me of a few just a couple hours from here... if I can plan it right when I'm heading that way, I'm going to seek them out... :)

Her are those pictures i said i would post, the 1st 2 pictures, i have gotten that dish for sure, just found out today that i could also get the second system as well, as for the other 2 sytems not sure yet one was a solid dish and the other is a mesh.. By looking at the picture which one do you think i should use ?Or i should say ,which one will be easiest to convert to a c-band /ku-band system thanks for any info.. Also pay close attn. to scaler ring both seem to work but they are different, one looks like it is bolted on ,and the other seems to mount differently, 2nd system appears to be a plastic type . Here they are enjoy them as for the cutting off 2ft of the pole i am going to take the poles out of the ground as well getting those systems sun. afternoon .. Got friend with a backhoe gonna pull them outta of the ground.

Attachments

• Camera card 2008-11-12 103.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 103.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 207
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 104.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 104.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 105.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 105.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 106.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 106.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 107.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 107.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 171
Her are those pictures i said i would post, the 1st 2 pictures, i have gotten that dish for sure, just found out today that i could also get the second system as well, as for the other 2 sytems not sure yet one was a solid dish and the other is a mesh.. By looking at the picture which one do you think i should use ?Or i should say ,which one will be easiest to convert to a c-band /ku-band system thanks for any info.. Also pay close attn. to scaler ring both seem to work but they are different, one looks like it is bolted on ,and the other seems to mount differently, 2nd system appears to be a plastic type . Here they are enjoy them as for the cutting off 2ft of the pole i am going to take the poles out of the ground as well getting those systems sun. afternoon .. Got friend with a backhoe gonna pull them outta of the ground.

Nice score, browncow, well done!!!! :up

Simply Beautiful!!

Be sure and dismantle and remove dish and mount before pulling pole out of the ground.

Also remember that the 6" pipe is thin-walled tube, and could crush if not careful when putting pressure from a chain pulling them out of the ground. Be sure to dig around them before attempting to pull them out.

I don't know how you guys get so lucky with the feed-horn conversions already done for you. :)

Nice score, outstanding! I noticed that since that dish had the feed adaptor already installed, the LNB and horn itself looks EXACTLY like the one I have. Wonder if the same company made the retrofit kit?

I don't know how you guys get so lucky with the feed-horn conversions already done for you. :)

Clean living, My Brother, Clean Living.

And dumbarse luck. LOL

Dish Hunter's Holy grail?

so, I've been reading through this stuff. I paid attention to what I could see from the road on my way home. in a 5 mile section I saw about 6 dishes. 2 of which looked like they could still be in use. most were just pointing at odd angles.
so, my question is this, for all of you dish hunters:
what is your quest?
what is your favorite color?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum:
anyway.. what _IS_ the holy grail of dishes? Birdview solid? Were others to join you on this quest, aside from just having a bunch of cool dishes to put myself deeper into the dog house with SWMBO, what should I really watch for? a big solid in general, or a birdview solid specifically? or some other?

I'm not sure how many SWMBO will tolerate. I've already got 2 as it is

so, I've been reading through this stuff. I paid attention to what I could see from the road on my way home. in a 5 mile section I saw about 6 dishes. 2 of which looked like they could still be in use. most were just pointing at odd angles.
so, my question is this, for all of you dish hunters:
what is your quest?
what is your favorite color?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum:
anyway.. what _IS_ the holy grail of dishes? Birdview solid? Were others to join you on this quest, aside from just having a bunch of cool dishes to put myself deeper into the dog house with SWMBO, what should I really watch for? a big solid in general, or a birdview solid specifically? or some other?

I'm not sure how many SWMBO will tolerate. I've already got 2 as it is

Since I was one of the original dish hunter thread starters. (Me and Gabshere) :)

The "Holy Grail" of dishes is the Birdview. It really doesn't matter whether it is a solid or Perforated as long as it is a Birdview. The are the "Swiss Watch" of dishes as far as manufacturing is concerned.

In my early dish hunting experiences, I would retrieve a dish almost no matter what it was. I have taken down broken dishes just to get the feed-horn or some lnbs and maybe an actuator.

Over the past almost 2 and a half years, I have scored at least a dozen Primestar dishes, at least a dozen big dishes of all brands and sizes. I currently know where there are two solid Birdviews right now. I currently know where there are two Primestar 84es. I currently know where there are 4 - 1M Primestar dishes.

The problem now is my health. The only way I would force myself out of dish hunting retirement is if I found one of the elusive 10 foot solid Birdviews. I would then have to consider hiring/coercing enough friends to retrieve it, and then coercing the same guys to help me put it up on one of my existing mounts. :cool:

There were two such animals in the Kansas City Craig's a while back, but the guy wanted $500.00 each or some such ridiculous figure for them. I considered it, but determined it wasn't worth it to me at the time.

But, if I found one close, I would have to re-think the whole scenario. :)

You might be surprised what you can pick up along with the dish. You might get the name of a retiring installer and get lots of goodies. :eek:

The whole pleasure is the hunt. This is the right time of the year. The leaves are off and they are easy to spot. :D

holy grail ?

No, I don't think so.
But, they do have a number of good points:
- well made, and accurate dish surface
- big enough to get the job done
- Horizon to Horizon (H-H) mount. Not required, but I'm fond of 'em
- sufficient documentation to get their warts serviced and back on the air.

If a DH came with an H-H mount, I'd be equally anxious to get one.
They're commercial spun-aluminum dishes, too.
But, I don't read a lot of documentation on them.

ACradio and McGuyver have some commercial molded 8' dishes.
They are Channel Master fiberglass units.
If I found one of those, it'd be mine, even without the H-H mount!

The Birdviews do have a number of shortcomings.
However, for the handy man, they're well documented and not a roadblock to getting them back into service.
And yes, I'm looking for one or two, myself. - :rolleyes:

Have BUD! Now what??

Craigslist Find:

I just picked up a (free) 3 meter mesh dish that has Kual-Tronics logo on the dish and a Chaparral feed horn with a C-band and Ku band LNB. The C LNB is a Calif. Amp. MAG-90 and the Ku is an Eagle Aspen 770LSKu (digital grade). All of this seems in very good condition and I was told that the system was in working condition until last month. I suspect the donor was only using the Ku LNB since he didn't seem to have much knowledge of the C band.

The dish is in real good condition with only one bollet hole in the mesh (seems about standard for Deer Country). All moving parts and mounting bolts were in good shape. I only need to "lightly" pressure wash the frame and mesh to get rid of the WA moss.

The rotor is old but shows evidence of recent operation (full stroke). The joints had all been oiled or greased, so someone had really been taking care of this gear. Even to feed horn/LNB cover was in place and sheltering several old bees nests.

I didn't try to salvage much of the ribbon cable since it went under his nice lawm nor was I able to cut off the 3.5" mount post. I will eventually wish I had all of the ribbon cable and the post. I did take about 8' of the ribbon calble so I could see how everthing hooked up

Since I am really a 'newbie' I will have a lot of questions regarding the hook up of this ole tech equipment. Do I ask them here or is there another forum that is better suited for them?

Right now, I am wondering what the little blue box is, with 3 wires on the back of the feed horn. The wires were connected to a 2 conductor (w/shield) coax. Part of the ribbon cable.

I should mention that the control box equipment wasn't on hand or available so I will have to explore what connects to the other end of each cable/conductor. I see two heavy (power??) leads going into the rotor along with two smaller (control??).

Since I don't expect that the rotor has any onboard logic for the DisEqC control. I have seen one ad for a V-Box that might provide this interface. Is this the way to go??

I'll be back later in the installation with question on the remaining signal hookups, etc. Please tell me (politely) where to go with them??

I am attaching a couple pictures.

Thanks for a great forum. I have read through about half so far and picking up some knowledge from you experiences.

Steve

Attachments

• 1f312b13c3k63p03od8bs86828a44afc817c0.jpg
    1f312b13c3k63p03od8bs86828a44afc817c0.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 156
Nice Find!
Do I ask them here or is there another forum that is better suited for them?
You shoud start your own topics in the C Band Section

Right now, I am wondering what the little blue box is, with 3 wires on the back of the feed horn.
The Blue Box is a Servo Motor to control the LNBFs Polarity, Horizontal and Vertical.

Since I don't expect that the rotor has any onboard logic for the DisEqC control. I have seen one ad for a V-Box that might provide this interface. Is this the way to go??
Depends, the VBox can only control the Dish, it can not control LNBF (Blue Box)
You need to figure out what you want, need.
Were you thinking only FTA, C Band Subscription, Both?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)