Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My time to score one. I live in a high density area of south Florida and dishes are far and few.I spotted one over the weekend and called a freind to tell him about it. Turns out the owner of the building is a longtime freind of his and she says come and get it you can have it. Looked at it up close today[well from the ground and it is about 10 feet up] and it says channel master on the mount,not any rust visable and is a mesh dish about 8 to 10 foot. It has four feedhorn supports. Don't know whats under the hood for lnb yet. Looks like a 36 inch actuator on it.To bad I am leaving to go to my home in SC tommorow, but come the first of the year this baby will be mine! By the way Jself if you are reading this I will be in your area next week and I have 10 acres looking for a bud if you know of any in the area.

"Bird" from Space, didn't have my camera.

Spotted this Bird over the weekend, drove by today for a closer look.............

Damaged, it has a "Pouty Lip". :(

Attachments

• BirdfromSpace.JPG
    BirdfromSpace.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 224
I'm big into Primestar ovals. I've got five running. Primestar was a big provider in my area back in the late '80's. I love the oversized engineering. They are super heavy duty and easy to point. They're easy to get and usually free. I've installed two for people wanting G10R (Galaxy 18).

I've got one 1.2 meter dish. Its the only one I've ever seen. I'm using it for Galaxy 25 now. During the summer there was a transition to a new satellite and the signal got very weak from G25. I ordered a .2 linear lnb and set up the bigger dish to increase quality.

I wish I had two or three more of the 1.2 meter (36 inch) dishes. It brought the quality up on G25 about five points.

1.2M is about 47.2", sure you have the 1.2 dish? It's stamped on the back near the top. I have a couple of the 1.0M dishes which work great, even the slightly smaller .90 round works very well. The elliptical (84e) are very good, got 2 of them.

I was driving home today & remembered this dish. I dont think it is being used anymore, the owner is using a small dish I think. Appears to be in decent shape for the age of it, Guy.

Attachments

• DSC08898.JPG
    DSC08898.JPG
    813.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC08900.JPG
    DSC08900.JPG
    502.9 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC08901.JPG
    DSC08901.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC08902.JPG
    DSC08902.JPG
    753.2 KB · Views: 190
I was driving home today & remembered this dish. I dont think it is being used anymore, the owner is using a small dish I think. Appears to be in decent shape for the age of it, Guy.

Actuator looks fairly new, that dish may still be in use.

But it never hurts to ask!!! :)

Are the 2 "white boxes" on the piece of horizontal angle iron that is attached near the top of the pole, limit switches? :confused:

They may be, the guy has horses in this pasture. I have talked to him about a tower for my ham radio, but I am going back tomorrow to ask about the dish, it look to be at least 12 ft.[(sorry for quality of pics, but it was overcast & I could not get very close)
quote=phlatwound;1645395]Actuator looks fairly new, that dish may still be in use.

But it never hurts to ask!!! :)

Are the 2 "white boxes" on the piece of horizontal angle iron that is attached near the top of the pole, limit switches? :confused:[/quote]

I THINK the two white boxes just might have been downconverters. they were used back in the day before LNB's.

EDIT: Looking at it again..they just MAY be limit switches! Interesting. Never seen it done that way before.

That dish is in bad shape. well, not the dish so much but the pole is gone. To add to it, that pole you see is a sleeve, so you HAVE to have it to use the dish. Which means in this case you will have to make another one, cut the cap off of the pole you have, and weld it on the new square tube.

Another thing against it is that its a buttonhook feed, which over time usually sags, not so bad for c-band, but murder if you have any aspirations of trying Ku band.

If you want to try, by all means have at it, but speaking only for me, I'd keep driving.

I have a Paraclipse with the H-to-H mount, its nice but hard to work with.

I agree, to much work for the final result. I was bored on the way home, lol.
I THINK the two white boxes just might have been downconverters. they were used back in the day before LNB's.

EDIT: Looking at it again..they just MAY be limit switches! Interesting. Never seen it done that way before.

That dish is in bad shape. well, not the dish so much but the pole is gone. To add to it, that pole you see is a sleeve, so you HAVE to have it to use the dish. Which means in this case you will have to make another one, cut the cap off of the pole you have, and weld it on the new square tube.

Another thing against it is that its a buttonhook feed, which over time usually sags, not so bad for c-band, but murder if you have any aspirations of trying Ku band.

If you want to try, by all means have at it, but speaking only for me, I'd keep driving.

I have a Paraclipse with the H-to-H mount, its nice but hard to work with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts