Adventures in Dish Hunting 2011??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
Whatever happened to the yearly dish hunting thread???

The year 2011 is nearing its end and no thread was started this year that I am aware of.

Could this be due to a lack of dishes out there??? :eek:

I have several BUDs and Primestars to pick up but I cannot find the time to do so. :(

Picking up a 10' KTI this saturday. Nabbed a round Primestar (40"?) the other day. Found another Primestar on the roof of a school building, but was told it must go through committee and then be auctioned. Not sure if that means it is the Primestar that got away.

"Eh bitti bitti bitti I got 5 cents, 5 cents, someone give me 7, 7 now, 7 now, 7 7 7 7, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, will someone give me 6 1/2? SOLD! for 5 cents to the gentleman with all those antennas in his back yard.

Picking up a 10' KTI this saturday. Nabbed a round Primestar (40"?) the other day. Found another Primestar on the roof of a school building, but was told it must go through committee and then be auctioned. Not sure if that means it is the Primestar that got away.

"Eh bitti bitti bitti I got 5 cents, 5 cents, someone give me 7, 7 now, 7 now, 7 7 7 7, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, will someone give me 6 1/2? SOLD! for 5 cents to the gentleman with all those antennas in his back yard.

Are the Primestars pretty common in your area??
I have at least 6 corralled in my barn and there are still a few on the loose in my area!
These critters used to be a common sight near me and I am surprised after all these years on just how many are still lurking in the bushes! :spy:

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement is making a big message that it is and represents the "99%" of Americans. Big dishes are atop maybe one out of 200 buildings. Of that number ninety percent seem out of use. That is five one hundredths of one percent, if I have my math right. We are a very small group, fortunately joined together on sites like this.

But things can eat into our numbers. The expansion of fiber optics has caused all Monday Night Football to be unavailable to us, at least the us who are true FTA believers. There is one big area of passion right there - now it's gone.

An economy that drives people out of their homes will cause more big dishes to be abandoned, and the big dish is the heart and soul of true FTA. We can at least take heart in the fact that C-band is alive today because its adherents can be reached by the internet medium. Otherwise, companies would have abandoned this market years ago.

It's on a cycle. The big dish treasures are out there. With decades until some substitute medium like fiber optics goes to Latin America, that will mean satellites will still launch and that transponders will be sold to broadcasters. The programming will improve from time to time and that will prompt the very few of us to look for the treasures out there, in the wild

Many people left C-Band for the lack of HD Subscription Channels.

I loved C-Band due to the potential of a high amount of channels, and no rain fade.

However alot of people wanted HD programming starting around 2004, and sadly Motorola did not really give a rat's ass about 4DTV, and that is why a HD Receiver never came to the consumer market. If a consumer HD Receiver came to the market, subscriptions would of stayed the same or went up.

Or if Motorola would of allowed us to use the Canadian HD receivers.

It turned from a mainstream satellite television service into more or less a hobby.

Also some of the parts became harder to find and more expensive.

I would still have my C-Band dish today if their was a good deal of HD channels and a newer receiver for them.

I highly doubt we will ever see a new receiver with hd programming in c-band. Not unless SRL opens up the HD C-Band channels for us to subscribe to, and motorola allows us to use HD Receivers.

Many people left C-Band for the lack of HD Subscription Channels.

I loved C-Band due to the potential of a high amount of channels, and no rain fade.

However alot of people wanted HD programming starting around 2004, and sadly Motorola did not really give a rat's ass about 4DTV, and that is why a HD Receiver never came to the consumer market. If a consumer HD Receiver came to the market, subscriptions would of stayed the same or went up.

Or if Motorola would of allowed us to use the Canadian HD receivers.

It turned from a mainstream satellite television service into more or less a hobby.

Also some of the parts became harder to find and more expensive.

I would still have my C-Band dish today if their was a good deal of HD channels and a newer receiver for them.

I highly doubt we will ever see a new receiver with hd programming in c-band. Not unless SRL opens up the HD C-Band channels for us to subscribe to, and motorola allows us to use HD Receivers.

Ditto.
I have an HD receiver & used it for a short time in about 2003 - 2007 and the picture was fantastic. I was upset when they quit offering hd.

Their might be a revival, but don't hold your breath.

I am not gonna mess with a new c band dish until I move, to many trees in the way.

I started in the big dish era in 1980 or there abouts with a ten foot fiberglass dish,von weise actuator and a 60 degree LNA. My first signal from space was a naked women walking down the beach and wow was the picture ever clear. I was of course the playboy channel. Ahh those were the days. 22 years all we used was the big dish and then we moved to a small northern town where if we put up a big dish it would block the sun from Half the people on the street. We decided to buy a lot in the country and build our own home, which we did. With my new found space I now had time to turn my interest back to the big dish so My wife and I went out knocking on door. This started spring of 2011 and to date I have aquired a 36" made in china offset dish with stab HH90 motor, a 10 foot uni mesh dish , a 12 foot and my pride and joy tee com big dish, numerous von weis actuators, and a assortment of LNA's/B's ( well 2 anyways ). I had a couple of viewsat receivers but I retired them and bought 2 Open box an S9 and S10. I'me using the Made in china dish for KU and the 10 foot unimesh is bring in the C Band. No all I have to do is find a spot for my pride and joy.

So that heart guys, as long as there are old farts like me out there with gas in ou tanks C Band will never die.

My 10' KTI turned turned out to be a 10' Unimesh, in fair condition with some mangled but repairable mesh. The price was right - free.

UNIMESH.jpg

This started spring of 2011 and to date I have aquired a 36" made in china offset dish with stab HH90 motor, a 10 foot uni mesh dish , a 12 foot and my pride and joy tee com big dish, numerous von weis actuators, and a assortment of LNA's/B's ( well 2 anyways ). I had a couple of viewsat receivers but I retired them and bought 2 Open box an S9 and S10. I'me using the Made in china dish for KU and the 10 foot unimesh is bring in the C Band. No all I have to do is find a spot for my pride and joy.

So that heart guys, as long as there are old farts like me out there with gas in ou tanks C Band will never die.

So where are the photos??? :boink:

Is that trailer faded RED, ORANGE, or sissy PINK???
Yes! :D

That abused and neglected trailer now lives indoors most of the time. With a block and tackle it gets tilted up on it's hind end at the end of the season, to hibernate vertically for the winter against the back wall of a garage. Too bad it spent 10 years out in the elements, otherwise it'd still be red.

Last edited:
I could probably send you some If I can figure out how to upload them.
Not really that hard. The big problem is getting the pics to move around in your post where you want them.

I like the plate also. The trailer dish holding frame is a great idea. I sure could use that sunshine. Clouds, rain, cold, leaves all over the yard, bummer here. Need to get them dried up so I can suck them up before the $now hits. Have one more dish to put up but may wait till Spring. . . . . .
Pink trailer, dish parts, mpeg 4 plate, yes that would confuse many watching it go down the road.:)

Another good day in dish hunting as I finally was able to get in touch with the guy who brought a building in Marion which has what looks like another 1.2m Prodelin dish and he told me that I could remove it from the roof. So I'll setup this one up for KU and point it to 30w satellite. Now I just have to get more pipe and get it in ground before it gets to cold to dig.

I'me going to attempt to post some pictures. The last time I clicked on something that I didn't know what it did a blue/white light shot out from the computer striking me rendering me unconsious. When I awoke there was a small girl standing beside me wearing ruby red slippers, clicking her heals together and saying theres no place like home,October 26 2011 387.JPGno placeOctober 26 2011 386.JPG like hOctober 26 2011 384.JPGome.October 26 2011 383.JPG

Attachments

• October 26 2011 388.JPG
    October 26 2011 388.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
Great photos!!! Nice setup! :up

The "no place like home" is mixed in the photos but other than that you did it!

Now I have to figure out how to post photos. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)