Advice for a do-it-yourself from scratch Dish Network setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

seank

Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Ithaca, ny
Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some basic advice. I am hoping to fully install a basic Dish setup for 1 (and possibly more in the future) HDTVs. I like to do things myself and I don't like getting into contracts. I have basic skills, but get confused by the current technology requirements (ie, reciever models, actual satellite dish models necessary, which receiver module (is that an LNB?), etc.).

So, lets assume I want to do this from scratch. I think I want to use a 211k. Is it still true that you can turn this into a DVR by paying a 1 time fee and adding an external hard drive? Would you suggest a different model?

What other exact equipment do I need? What type of dish do I need? What type of LNB?

Do I need anything else?

Once again, thanks for any help.

-Sean

Yes a one-time $40 fee turns a 211/211k into a DVR with NO account level $6 DVR fee charged. Additional 211s will have a $7 per month fee assessed whether you purchase or lease from Dish. For HD you will need either a 1000.4 WA (western arc) or 1000.4 EA (eastern arc) antenna and LNB assembly. It can also be done using a combination of D500s and appropriate LNB assemblies. Equipment can be purchased from DishStore one of this site's sponsors. See top of page.

Whether you need an EA or WA antenna depends on your location (zip code). I think Ithaca is in the Syracuse DMA and is a western arc market.

If I were you I would consider having Dish do the install. Purchasing a new 1000.4 will cost $85- $100. I think Dish charges $95 for the install. If you take the 2-year commitment, the installation is free. DishStore has an additional $125 rebate beyond the Dish offers and you will get promo pricing. If you go the DIY route I do not think you will get promo pricing. Early termination fees are $15 per month iirc so the $125 rebate would pay for 8 months if you terminated early. The promo pricing for a year offsets any $15 month early termination fee as well.

Note the first receiver on an account is included with the programming package fee. If you go with a Dish lease through DishStore, you will get a dual tuner DVR (622/722/722k) and pay just $6 per month in addition to the package cost for the account level DVR fee. The DVR will grab 2 sat channels and at least one OTA channel simultaneously for recording. The 722k will grab 2 sat and 2 OTAs for simultaneous recording.

Yes a one-time $40 fee turns a 211/211k into a DVR with NO account level $6 DVR fee charged. Additional 211s will have a $7 per month fee assessed whether you purchase or lease from Dish. For HD you will need either a 1000.4 WA (western arc) or 1000.4 EA (eastern arc) antenna and LNB assembly. It can also be done using a combination of D500s and appropriate LNB assemblies. Equipment can be purchased from DishStore one of this site's sponsors. See top of page.

Whether you need an EA or WA antenna depends on your location (zip code). I think Ithaca is in the Syracuse DMA and is a western arc market.

If I were you I would consider having Dish do the install. Purchasing a new 1000.4 will cost $85- $100. I think Dish charges $95 for the install. If you take the 2-year commitment, the installation is free. DishStore has an additional $125 rebate beyond the Dish offers and you will get promo pricing. If you go the DIY route I do not think you will get promo pricing. Early termination fees are $15 per month iirc so the $125 rebate would pay for 8 months if you terminated early. The promo pricing for a year offsets any $15 month early termination fee as well.

Note the first receiver on an account is included with the programming package fee. If you go with a Dish lease through DishStore, you will get a dual tuner DVR (622/722/722k) and pay just $6 per month in addition to the package cost for the account level DVR fee. The DVR will grab 2 sat channels and at least one OTA channel simultaneously for recording. The 722k will grab 2 sat and 2 OTAs for simultaneous recording.

Dude, some of your facts are out of date.

There is no more $40 fee.

The $6 DVR fee is only for DVR (built-in) receivers like the 612, 622, 722, 625, 512, etc... Not the 211.

Early termination fees are $17.50 per month for new customers that sign up with a 2 year contract..

Dude, some of your facts are out of date.

There is no more $40 fee.

The $6 DVR fee is only for DVR (built-in) receivers like the 612, 622, 722, 625, 512, etc... Not the 211.

Early termination fees are $17.50 per month for new customers that sign up with a 2 year contract..

There is a $40 dollar fee for the 211K. Read the post again he didn't say that there is a $6 fee for the 211K.

Thanks everyone. Just to be clear, for the 211K there is a $40 fee to activate DVR features using an external hard drive, right? But is there a $6.00 per month fee?

I have no problem hiring someone to do the install, but I want to avoid any kind of contracts or renting. If I own my own hardware is it fairly straightforward to upgrade or downgrade or cancel or reinstate my service?

Will a place like DishStore be able sell me the hardware and arrange for a installer local to Ithaca to do the install?

Thanks again.

-Sean

Yes on the DishStore idea. Yes on the $40 one-time fee. No on the $6 DVR fee. Note that an EA dish is a little hard to point right.

Who is insisting? I said it was something I was thinking about. As I said, want to own my own hardware and not have a contract and I didn't know if any installers would be willing to install such a setup. I am quite happy to hire one if there are.

Plus, some of us enjoy the challenge of doing things ourselves.

You are going to have a contract if you want the programming. The install is free and even if you did have to pay, it will be cheaper than buying parts and tools to do it right. If anything, prewire the home.

If you don't want a contract, look in the fta forum.

The discounted programming (new customer promotions such as $15 off for 12 months) does require a 24 month commitment. You can still purchase all of the equipment, and install it yourself to avoid a commitment (would be activated under a "no promotion" account).

It is possible a new customer with owned equipment on a self install could be snagged into a contract with the "free hd for life" offer. That offer requires a 2 yr commitment with auto pay & paperless billing or a 1 time $99 non refundable fee & 2 yr commitment. I'm not 100% certain on the latter, maybe a member of "D.I.R.T." can confirm. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts