Advice for HD 2nd receiver install....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ryson

Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
I've never done this before but here is my rational....

Current system DVR ViP717 controlling 2 TV's from DISH 1000 antenna. Only one cable from LNB's is in house, theres a splitter of some kind that sends coax only to 2nd TV which I recently upgraded to an HD TV. So I need second HD receiver. Basic ViP 211 is what I would be getting. (cheapest I think at 200 dollars).

DISH will not ship for DIY. but will do 99 install and 2 year leasing agreement. I would have to allow stranger in my house and mess around with my TV and Home Theatre setup, wait all day for appointment window and also allow for possible hack job drilling into siding for second coax from second LNB or added installation cost since only 1 coax is available from outside demarcation box and grounding block....... so drilling and coax run is needed which is probably outside of the scope of standard 2nd receiver installation.

First time DIY, I was thinking I would have to do the following : 1st disconnect coax from splitter that goes to second TV and run another line to it to another room to continue using DVR with 2 tv setup.

Instead of drilling for second coax entering into crawlspace, I was going to make a larger run from dish to crawlspace where at some point someone had an old cable tv setup running a coax on the otherside of house. Drilled thru siding which now has cut coax dangling from side of house... ugly.

However, my new run of RG6 will be about 100 to 150 ft ... which I will then connect in crawl with the old coax going to my second TV coupling since I dont have access to run new wire the entire way.

I then will set up new receiver and activate with DISH over phone.

What road would you take in my particular case?

150 foot max run OK?
Use of coupling to connect 2 - RG6 cable together OK?
Or is there a splitter or box that would allow me to get HD on 2 TV's with only 1 cable going into house from DISH 1000 and not have to buy/run more cable and avoid all the work described?

Thanks
Ryan

I've never done this before but here is my rational....

Current system DVR ViP717 controlling 2 TV's from DISH 1000 antenna. Only one cable from LNB's is in house, theres a splitter of some kind that sends coax only to 2nd TV which I recently upgraded to an HD TV. So I need second HD receiver. Basic ViP 211 is what I would be getting. (cheapest I think at 200 dollars).

DISH will not ship for DIY. but will do 99 install and 2 year leasing agreement. I would have to allow stranger in my house and mess around with my TV and Home Theatre setup, wait all day for appointment window and also allow for possible hack job drilling into siding for second coax from second LNB or added installation cost since only 1 coax is available from outside demarcation box and grounding block....... so drilling and coax run is needed which is probably outside of the scope of standard 2nd receiver installation.

First time DIY, I was thinking I would have to do the following : 1st disconnect coax from splitter that goes to second TV and run another line to it to another room to continue using DVR with 2 tv setup.

Instead of drilling for second coax entering into crawlspace, I was going to make a larger run from dish to crawlspace where at some point someone had an old cable tv setup running a coax on the otherside of house. Drilled thru siding which now has cut coax dangling from side of house... ugly.

However, my new run of RG6 will be about 100 to 150 ft ... which I will then connect in crawl with the old coax going to my second TV coupling since I dont have access to run new wire the entire way.

I then will set up new receiver and activate with DISH over phone.

What road would you take in my particular case?

150 foot max run OK?
Use of coupling to connect 2 - RG6 cable together OK?
Or is there a splitter or box that would allow me to get HD on 2 TV's with only 1 cable going into house from DISH 1000 and not have to buy/run more cable and avoid all the work described?

Thanks
Ryan

And you're afraid of the installer doing a hack job??

Go for it, champ!!:up:up:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts