Advice Needed about installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Need some advice from those of you that know about this stuff!!!!!!
Because of acquiring an new HDTV we did alot of research and decided to switch to E* from D*. We had been D* customers for well over 10 years and yet they offered us no incentives to stay. We signed up for E*, order to install one 522 and one 811(?)(the HD receiver). we were told it could take up to 2 weeks to schedule installation......too long in my book but we accepted it. NO CONTACT from retailer for a week....finally I called and said you never gave me a receipt of anything, just want to make sure we're approved. "Yes, and you should receive a call scheduling installation no longer than ONE WEEK" Okay, I waited 10 more days...........called back......just a minute I'll put you right on the line with the installer. The installer got on the line, scheduled for the next Monday......scheduled the day off work.....Monday morning, installer calls..need to reschedule..>Dish won't let us install when the wind is blowing. Okay, reschedule for Friday.......ANOTHER DAY OFF WORK.........no call, nothing, finally called installer, he says, no you're scheduled for tomorrow(Like I would have scheduled for a Friday and took a day off work if he had told me he could come on Saturday!!!!!!!.......Saturday morning is 20 below zero....installer comes.......gets out of his truck says,,,,no too many trees. I said, but we have D*. He says I Can't believe it, you can't have a signal here......OUR SIGNAL STRENGTH is 97. I say"Don't you want to take a look at where the D* dish is....reluctantly he comes up (its off a balcony) he looks down some tool and says "NOPE can't do it......D* is at 29 degrees and E* has to be at 17*" He stands around complaining about how much money he's lost and how he'll have to find another install for the day and how the retailer should have TOLD ME that we couldn't have trees (PLEASE)....he leaves. I check the elevation degree for my area(zip code 04740). The chart says 20 degrees and the chart for D* says 27. So I think the installer is full of s---. We have installed four D* dishes in various locations ourselves. Is this install any more complicated? We are pretty savvy about this stuff, can I call the retailer and say Just give me the equipment and let us try it? Do they do that? We can put the dish on the roof (Installer said he doesn't do roofs!!!!!!!! and ours is really high, but we have to go up to shovel the snow off so we CAN put it there)..............and then my final question........what if the jerk was right and we can't get a signal............can we return the equipment? Thanks for your help, I'm so mad I can't wait until Monday when I can call the retailer for an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can call the installer and tell them to send someone else out. or you could do a self install. you might have gotten a rookie installer who is not as knowledgable as the senior installers. ask them to send someone with more expierence out.

did you say you left direct tv for dish for more HD?

also, welcome to satelliteguys. glad you found the site. make sure to visit often.

the site mods might move this to the regular dish network section. you should check that one out as well. lots of good info. it is right about this one.

Actually not for more HD......we haven't even gotten any HD YET........Our current direct system is about 5 years old, so we have the old dish(not HD capable) and all of our Direct equipment is old.........Direct WON"T help us help us upgrade and its all free stuff from Dish, that was the major reason to switch.......also, the installer from Dish said......."if you try to upgrade Direct you'll probably have the same problem, you won't be able to get the HD satellite and they'll send some installer that will tell you you have it when you don't"............what a wacko this guy was.

i guess you can only be a new customer once. i just left dish and will be joining directv later this year when local hd is released.

Is the retailer you talked to someone local out of the phone book orfind them on a website?? If you want to, you could look in the phone book or ask around to see if there is somebody in your area that sells and installs Dish Network. I would assume that you would get much better service. Good Luck.

Many of us could do a self install better than some installers, but DISH does not allow it on the new package. On mine, they used one of my dishes to get 119 because they couldn't hit it from their "perfect" spot. As a result the super dish is in a bad physical spot and could be at a lower spot where my DirecTV dish (unused) is and sees D*'s 101 and 110, meaning it could see 105 and 110 of E* fine. The first installer had me put a pole up which goes unused. If I did it myself, the superdish would be where the Direct dish is and worked for years, along with the standalong and current 119 dish. As it is, the superdish is going to be moved this summer to that spot. I don't need this huge dish at the peak of my roof.

So is this a dealer by dealer thing or is it a Dish Network thing not allowing self installations? I hate like hell to even deal with another installer after the past few weeks.......we just want to do it ourselves. What are other opinions? Do you think they'll let us or not??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)