Advice Needed! Western Arc Installation 119, 110 and 129 Satellites. Dish aiming issues..

xfortay

Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Kansas City MO
Hello All,
First off thanks for any advice given, I am at a standstill. Problem: Installing Western Arc Turbo HD triple LNB Dish Network dish. The previous owners of the house had DISH but non-high def. Prior to installing the HD dish I hooked the receiver up and checked to see if it was locked on. It was locked on to 119 and 110. The previous owners had a current subscription when they moved. I checked because there are some trees in the way so i was worried but it was getting a steady signal. I put the new HD dish up and am using a DP-34 switch and 2 dual VIP 722 receivers. Twice now I have had all 3 satellites locked on with around 70ish on the meter for 119 and 110, but around 30% on 129. My home about an hour away gets good service with those sorts of stats, so not sure if it is normal in this area or what.
Each time I have had the 3 satellite signals locked in, I run a check switch, and then both times once the check switch runs all signals go to 0% and it gives the error message about it finding less satellites than previously installed. This happened once on each receiver so I am pretty confident it isnt a bad receiver. The zip is 64640. Weird thing is, the receiver, book and where the old dish was previously set, show different elevations for the zip. I think the receiver says 39, book 41, and previous install had elevation at 46. I seemed to get it locked in around 43sh...but then lose signal and its hard to find again.
As mentioned before, the signal looks to be somewhat blocked by tree branches but it was getting signal prior to the HD dish (i viewed the signal and preview channel on the low def dish) and looks to have been installed professionally by DISH, the dish is mounted on the roof. It just loses all signals after a check switch in the install section of the receiver's guide.
Any suggestions? Could it be a bad or incorrect switch (DP-34)? Bad LNBs? (Dish and LNB are BRAND new, were in sealed box), Do I need to move the Dish a few hundred feet away where there are no trees and set on a pole and concrete? I just dont understand on how it was locked on with the old dual LNB dish and now when I run a check switch it loses all signal? Please help! Thanks!!

Why are you using the DP34 switch? Try bypassing the switch and connect directly to the LNB and use separators at the 722's. Also, run a check switch with the lines disconnected to clear the box. Then attach the lines and run check switch again.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys.

When you say separators do you mean triplexers? So you mean I can plug a cable into any of the 3 LNBs, and run it directly to the receiver with a triplexer and still get all 3 signals? I always thought it had to run through a switch since the switch has an input for the 3 satellites and then had 1 output. I have installed a few dishes but definitely not very comfortable with it. Thanks

Yep. Just one cable plus a separator required for each dual tuner. The switch is built-in to the LNB.

Unless you're saying that you have three physically separate LNBs?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

if you are using 3 individual lnbs and a dp34, you need 2 lines to each 722
you can't use separators/triplexers with a dp34

I wouldn't call a separator a triplexer, might imply some off brand meant for another purpose might work. I'd stick with the Dish separator.

If the above suggestions don't work, I'd be real suspicious of that LNB. It doesn't sound like trees, since you've gotten signal at times.

There is a triplexer, combines a separator and a diplexer, I'm using one on the 722k.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-4257389296.jpg
    image-4257389296.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 265
Thanks all, I will try it minus the DP-34. I didnt know that the switch was built into the newer triple LNBs. I don't have 3 physically separated LNBs, but rather the triple-LNB all in one plastic housing that comes new with the Turbo HD dish. I wont be out there again until this weekend so I hope this is it. So I will basically just run a cable to each receiver, straight off the LNB, using a separator behind the Dish. I still have the seperator that comes originally with the VIP 772s so I should be good to go. This might explain why the signal was lost after the check switch, hopefully the DP-34 was interfering. I appreciate the help and will post back after I give it another shot. If it doesnt work I will try and exchange the LNB, I bought it brand new off an Ebay seller recently so I should be able to return it.

Good to know- but was that what he was thinking of?

Yeah probably. The dual tuners now come with a triplexer.

So for the OP it's pretty simple. Single cable from the dish, hook to triplexer, triplexer to receiver. Now if there is a TV2 involved its a little different.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

He's gonna need 2 diplexers just after the dish to input an OTA signal from an outdoor TV antenna. Then he can have all 3 lines hooked up to the 2 different 722k's. That would be the only reason to have a triplexer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts