Advice needed: WSI vs Fortec vs Sadoun 180cm

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is your 8 foot dish available? If it is, I'll buy one, right now!
When I checked last, it wasn't..
Thanks,

While an 8 footer is better than a 6 footer, I truly recommend that you only consider installing a 10 footer, right from the start. I started 30 years ago with a spun 6 footer, which worked acceptible in analog days and 4 degree sat spacing. I then went to a 11 foot fiberglas, then 10 foot mesh, then nothing for years, then restarted for 1 month with a 6 foot Sadoun (ortho-mode) then to a 10 footer (ortho-mode moved from Sadoun dish) The 6 footer just had too many issues with channels that were "must-have" for me.

The 10 footer gets in everything without breathing hard. The greatest point is that it's "beam" is narrower than 2 degrees, which you really need today because of digital signals, S2, higher fec's, etc. It also gains at least 2db signal over an 8 footer. That's around a 75% increase in signal/noise floor! Big gain, for just a little more size... Well worth going for right from the start.

For the bigger BUD challenged, please list the "must haves" you couldnt get.

Cheers, K

MEtv 101w wouldn't stay locked in 100% of the time, even with an orthomode feedhorn and 8115 lnbs. That is due to an adjacent satellite very high powered sports transponder that fires up freqently. 87W the Luken stuff was really bad to keep locked anytime. The biggest majority of my viewing is either of those.

On the other hand, a smaller dish is cool in that it can "see" two sats at one time if aimed right, and you have the potential to scan in channels from BOTH simultaneously. That can be advantageous at times.

You're right! Silly me, I'm thinkin you know the 6 footer is doin pretty good, the 8 footer has to be much better :)
BUT, yes I need the 10 footer... kick me again, please. I need to make time to get out and see if I can approach a few houses around here!!
Thanks for the wake-up:D

While an 8 footer is better than a 6 footer, I truly recommend that you only consider installing a 10 footer, right from the start. I started 30 years ago with a spun 6 footer, which worked acceptible in analog days and 4 degree sat spacing. I then went to a 11 foot fiberglas, then 10 foot mesh, then nothing for years, then restarted for 1 month with a 6 foot Sadoun (ortho-mode) then to a 10 footer (ortho-mode moved from Sadoun dish) The 6 footer just had too many issues with channels that were "must-have" for me.

The 10 footer gets in everything without breathing hard. The greatest point is that it's "beam" is narrower than 2 degrees, which you really need today because of digital signals, S2, higher fec's, etc. It also gains at least 2db signal over an 8 footer. That's around a 75% increase in signal/noise floor! Big gain, for just a little more size... Well worth going for right from the start.

dish

Yes I will agree the bigger the dish the better. Thursday I visited my property in Calaveras co. Calif and have been using a 6 ft dish there for years in C band only and worked. Just changed feed horn over to a C / KU and changed receiver to a rehabbed DSr-920 thanks to the map master project. I have a DSR4200v and Openbox s16 receiver connected get both music services and PBS on KU DVB. On next visit will add more KU DVB channels.
My advise is use the best LNB's and coax as this will help the performance of system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)