Advice on a good UHF antenna for HDTV

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
I am at a moral dilemma here on which antenna will work with my HDTV! For some reason, I can’t get any signal into the house when a neighbor down the street can get just about everything available here in this area on the “Rabbit Ears” 7 dollar junk antenna she's got! :mad:

I have a Philips MANT940 - HDTV antenna in the bedroom and it seems to work fine inside but was wondering what advice on a good UHF antenna to get further out of my area? I really want to try something else other than another Phillips!

Suggestions on what kind of antenna to purchase or one that a member swears by that is a good distant antenna. I have bought a couple so far and yes, the stupid same 7 dollar junk with no good results and this can get quite expensive with the "Big Boys" HDTV antennas - Higher Priced Ones on trial and error.

Thanks for the help! :up

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Radar-Digital.png
    Radar-Digital.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Radar-Analog.png
    Radar-Analog.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Radio signals can be pretty frustrating; a few feet can make the difference between a nice steady signal and none at all. Since UHF is all you want, I'd suggest a bowtie like the Antennas Direct db4. At 7 Miles from the towers, I get EXCELLENT results from a 2 bay Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF which can be bought for $13 online. The db4 can be had for under $30. By the math, the 2 bay should work, but I'd invest in the 4 bay just to be sure.

Thanks CowboyDren! Have to give that a try! I know I am not going to pick up much for my area; we have only about 3 sub channels of locals on one station here in Parkersburg. I know there is a PBS since the lady down the street can get one.

The biggest city that I am close too is Charleston WV but from here it is about 88 miles away and that would be pushing it I would think! Be nice though. I just want something that will work great for now, something that will work when some station comes along later in Digital and is less than 50 or so miles away I could maybe hit.

I am a firm believer in getting the best product now instead of later down the road wishing I got that model with all the bells and whistles you know!

Again, thanks for your help and I will check into that antenna!! :up

B~Man

In looking at the TV Fool output you attached, only WTAP is going to come in reliably with an indoor antenna, and the Antennas Direct DB4 is an excellent choice for indoor use.

But the only way you will pick-up PBS (WOUB) is to spend a lot of money on an outdoor antenna and pre-amp. If you are willing to go that route, go with Antennas Direct 91XG ( Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna (91XG) | 91XG [Antennas Direct] ) and the ( Channel Master CM 7777 Titan2 VHF/UHF Preamplifier with Power Supply (CM7777) | CM7777 [Channel Master] ). The higher you can mount it, the better.

Adding a rotator ( Channel Master CM 9521A Complete Antenna Rotator Kit with Infra-Red Remote Control and 100 FT Rotator Wire (CM9521A) | CM9521A-100 [Channel Master] ) allows you to peak reception for a specific station. You could aim it at Charleston to see what you get.

After you add coax ( Wire & Cables | RG-6 Cut-to-Length | Solid Signal ) and mounting hardware ( OFF-AIR TV Supplies | Mounting Supplies | Solid Signal ), you are up to $300 or more.

Don't forget that if you're using an antenna indoors, it needs to "breathe." Try to keep it away from conductive/reflective/emissive bodies. The top shelf in a closet is good, but 1' away from an LCD TV (lots of nasty RF emissions) is very bad. It'd help if you can get it into the attic.

You have to remember that a mediocre antenna mounted outdoors often outperforms a very good antenna indoors. Your handle mentions FTA; are you into free satellite? Any chance you can put a BBQ Grill [bowtie] antenna outside and diplex the feedline into the house?

It appears you are down in a valley. That is really your problem.

From up on the hill to the south of you you begin to get NM(dB) values above zero for stations south of you.

Look into trying a passive (maybe even an active) repeater as described here: Passive TV Repeater

Place it on the hill south of you and see what it gets you. Start with one channel and expand as needed.

Your handle mentions FTA; are you into free satellite? Any chance you can put a BBQ Grill [bowtie] antenna outside and diplex the feed line into the house?

Yea over here form the FTA section of the forums! Done asked about diplexers on DVB equipment, unfortunately this is not a good idea and was told that another run of the coax will be required!

Well, if I have to rely on just WTAP on a bow tie, just throw the HD stuff out right now! Our local station is a joke! Would like to get father stations if possible. I know stations 100 miles away will be quite tough, seems like it would be a waste of time just for WTAP. It comes in on my cable service anyway.

digiblur, Thanks for that input, will look at that for sure! It is good to see a familiar person over here! :)

Jim5506, Yes I am in a valley! Hit that right on the head! Will look into the repeater! Thankx

mserrano, our local station WTAP (Week-Transmitter or Television-Always Poor Is What Us Locals Say The Call Letters Mean!) is totally a joke here in town. They always have had the worst OTH broadcast sequins since I can remember! Even though they are that close to me and you would think that an inside antenna would work, it does not! Picking up analog was a task and I did not expect much with the digital transfer. Spending the $ for the right setup for this is what I have in mind! Thanks for the links and I will certainly check all them out! :up

Purchase the right equipment right the first time, years of enjoyment is what I am looking for here!

Thanks for all of the guys that jumped in and offered your suggestions! I value every man's thoughts here and this is what makes the Satellite Guys Number 1 in information!!

Thanx again! :)

K E V I N

Attachments

• lucy.jpg
    lucy.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 199
digiblur, Thanks for that input, will look at that for sure! It is good to see a familiar person over here! :)

Where else do you know me from?

On the diplexer thing I don't like those one bit for anything. The especially don't mix well with motors and such either.

For best results on OTA help go to TVFool.com and run your address, post your results here, and let us know what stations you are trying to pick up.

Kevin, knowing how handy you are with things satellite, I'm curious why you are not building an antenna for your OTA channels? Do a search for Gray-Hoverman, it will kick the pants off commercial antennas and is cheap to boot. I built one for my neighbour last weekend(cost about $5 for parts), he has it in his attic, today I helped him take his rooftop antenna down. Sounds like you need an outside antenna so cost would be higher but still it would be much cheaper.

Kevin, knowing how handy you are with things satellite, I'm curious why you are not building an antenna for your OTA channels? Do a search for Gray-Hoverman, it will kick the pants off commercial antennas and is cheap to boot. I built one for my neighbour last weekend(cost about $5 for parts), he has it in his attic, today I helped him take his rooftop antenna down. Sounds like you need an outside antenna so cost would be higher but still it would be much cheaper.

Starman, I did try to make one with little to no success! One of those ones you see on the TUBE using copper wire and a two by four. I must admit it was fast and not really close on measurements but very close and it seemed still not to work. One would think that being no further away from the transmitter from my local station that it would have done better than it did. I got about the same as the two aerials that came with the old CRT TV sets.

Do you have an assembly schematic of the one you built for your neighbor’s house? Would like to see what you used and how you assembled it and what I done wrong on my first attempt. I am just in a valley here and that is my first strike! I have one of those old back of dish OTA antennas on the back of my E* dish and just remembered that, I wonder if that could be a try and see. I remember I bought that for analog reception and it did bubkus! I will have to try that and see. Thanks for your input dude, glad to bump Ideas off you again! :up

K E V I N

Attachments

• S6308776.JPG
    S6308776.JPG
    746 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
It sounds like geography, not gain figures, is your main problem. The most sensitive tuner with the highest gain figure do you no good if there's no signal to amplify. That ebay sourced do it yourself passive repeater sounds like fun. Especially if you know somebody with a car shop or something who'd let you use their roof.

Starman,
Do you have an assembly schematic of the one you built for your neighbor’s house? Would like to see what you used and how you assembled it and what I done wrong on my first attempt. I am just in a valley here and that is my first strike! I have one of those old back of dish OTA antennas on the back of my E* dish and just remembered that, I wonder if that could be a try and see. I remember I bought that for analog reception and it did bubkus! I will have to try that and see. Thanks for your input dude, glad to bump Ideas off you again! :up

K E V I N

You have a PM

CowboyDren It sounds like geography

Yeah Cowboy, thinkin the same thing!

UPDATE SINCE LAST POST:
I tried the DSS back of antenna and I am getting all Parkersburg Channels from WTAP but pixilation and all Channels of WOUB PBS that is 30 miles away on that antenna! Now, the channels are very choppy and not viewable for they break up, but I was really surprised that they came in at all.

See Picture in post 12

Note too that the Satellite dish is pointed to 61.5 West and the back where the OTH antenna is not quite faced in the right direction but this says volumes! Maybe if I get or build a decent antenna that it may be possible to get some of the HD stuff in my area! I am really excited that this old 98 antenna picked up anything at all. This looks promising indeed!

I bet I get a medium range or long range UHF antenna it would be great! Adding an amp: Priceless! :up Keep you guys posted!!

K E V I N

You have a PM

Thanks starman! Got it!

I was looking over the plans for that "Big Boy" antenna and it looks very promising! I would say, even that where I am in this valley geography wise if I can get the PBS stuff in and also the local things on that DSS back side OTH antenna I should be able to make one that can do better or out performs any long ranger out there!

Brian, thanks for the ideas and PM & Email! I already went to Lowes yesterday and got most of the parts list! Another run to the local Home Depot should get the list compleate! It should be a fun project indeed!

Thanks to all for the input on this side of the forums as well, I see bedsides the Free To Air things, there are just as knowledgeable guys here as well! :up

K E V I N

Are you building a mesh reflector type or the type with rods? I hope it works out for you. We will be waiting for pictures:)

Going for the Mesh Reflector style there big guy! I will be building both since my Father N Law wants one made for his DTV box as well! Try them both afterwards and see what one works the best and keep that one! ;)

Will do with the pictures and yes, I hope it does to on the working out part!

Thanks Brian!!

B~Man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)