Advice on BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GroggyJ

Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Milton, Ontario
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this site for a while but I hadn't jumped into any conversations yet since I don't yet have a BUD (or any FTA satellite for that matter). However, I've been thinking about getting into it so I was hoping some of you could help with some advice.

I'm in the Milton, Ontario area (just outside of Toronto) and due to space and aesthetic considerations I'm thinking an 8' mesh would be best. I did some searching and found one for sale that's a little further away than I would have liked, but on the plus side the dish is already apart and has been in storage for a number of years so I don't have to go through the trouble of taking it down. The dish was supposedly still functional when he took it down - he took it down because he moved but never got around to putting it back up at his new house.

He says he has all of the parts except it's missing most of the bolts, but that shouldn't be a big deal to replace if that's all that's missing. He also has the receiver (minus the remote) but I have no idea if it's still useful for anything. I know I'll need a new receiver to get the DVB-S2 broadcasts so I was planning to pickup a microHD anyway.

I got him to send me some pictures which are attached. He said the panels measure 4' x 79". Can anyone tell me if it looks like all of the parts are there and if things like the LNB and actuator should still be usable?

Thanks,
Jay

bud-receiver.JPGbud02.jpgbud01.jpgbud04.jpgbud03.jpgbud05.jpg

Welcome to the site!!!

Yes as far a I can tell from the photos everything is there. Also that LNBF would be usable as well. The old GI receiver would not do much for you. I think there is 5 analog channels left that you could get with it. IF the price isn't to bad I would go snatch it up. Then ask all the questions you need and we will help you get it up and running.

...aesthetic considerations...

Aesthetic...is that your wife's name? ;)

If it's cheap it could be a great starter rig for you, but I would seriously consider a 10 footer if you can swing it. Maybe if it (said 10 footer) was a free one?

That receiver might work for a dish mover, but without a remote it may not even do that, unless it has east/west buttons on the front panel, I think most do.

Good luck! :)

I'm cheap, so factor that in.
$25 to $50 would be a bargain.
I'm not inclined to exceed $100, though.
Best I can tell from your pictures, it looks fine.
Just remember, rust-resistant stainless bolts will be expensive.
And you'll have to find a pole for it ($).

We have a recent thread on selecting poles, be sure to get the right stuff.

Welcome aboard! :up

I'm cheap, so factor that in.
$25 to $50 would be a bargain.
I'm not inclined to exceed $100, though.
Best I can tell from your pictures, it looks fine.
Just remember, rust-resistant stainless bolts will be expensive.
And you'll have to find a pole for it ($).

We have a recent thread on selecting poles, be sure to get the right stuff.

Welcome aboard! :up

100 Canadian $$$? I know you're cheap, so this matters!

$1 US = $1.04 Canadian today.

But maybe things are more expensive up there, as they are in Hawaii and Alaska.
Or maybe BUDs are more rare.
What would be your "good value" and "do not exceed" prices? ;)

WELCOME TO SAT GUYS!:D

That polar mount is exactly like the one on my SAMI dish. The LNB mount looks the same too. That dish mover looks like the Super Jack my SAMI has on it also. That dish I have is 7.5ft but it does do a fairly good job here in Virginia. I am going to replace it with a 10 footer soon though.

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that the asking price is only $100 so it seems reasonable, especially since I don't have to take it down myself first. I'm sure I can talk him down on the price, but I feel a bit sorry for the guy since he went through the trouble to take the thing down, move it, and then store it in his basement for all of these years, only to finally give up on it. I'll probably just give him the $100 since I know that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of costs of these sorts of hobbies anyway.

Aesthetic...is that your wife's name? ;)
Yep, got me there. I know a 10 footer is the way to go, but I'm already pushing it with the 8 footer. The way I've described it so far has her expecting this thing to be closer to a 6 footer, so the 8 footer is already going to be enough of a surprise. :D

I think I'll go ahead and pick it up. Getting a pole shouldn't be a problem - there is a huge scrap yard less than 10 minutes away from me so I should be able to find something there for a reasonable price. I'll let you know how it goes, and I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

Yep, got me there. I know a 10 footer is the way to go, but I'm already pushing it with the 8 footer. The way I've described it so far has her expecting this thing to be closer to a 6 footer, so the 8 footer is already going to be enough of a surprise. :D

You are right, a 10 footer looks elephantine at first glance. You can put up that 8 footer now, then sneak a 10 footer on one day when she's not looking and she'll scratch her head and shrug and make no further comment.

She wouldn't likely know the difference from an 8 foot to a 10 foot in the first place unless she saw them side by side. Just tell her that a 10 is an 8 is all you got to do. I've had my wife convinced that 6" is actually 12" for a long time now!! :D

Oh, and I've got one of those already mounted on a post and using it so if you need pictures when you put it together let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I think any dish that is a good performer, complete and not damaged is worth $100. This is the number I wouldn't exceed, but always get it down using any defects, shortcomings or sad song at your disposal. :D

It's universal, and say it with me... "Free is best". YMMV, and each person is different in the amount they feel comfortable spending.

I think any dish that is a good performer, complete and not damaged is worth $100. This is the number I wouldn't exceed, but always get it down using any defects, shortcomings or sad song at your disposal. :D
I find no fault with that philosophy.
And I attribute extra value for H-H motor, ortho feed, or special dishes with top reputations.
I'm particularly fond of commercial and/or transmit-certified dishes like DH Satellite spun aluminum, ChannelMaster molded, Scientific Atlanta, and old Birdviews.
A $100 for any of those would be a steal. :)

The dish looks to be complete, but I'm inclined to agree with phlatwound. I have never used an 8 foot dish myself but from what I have heard around here and on other forums, It may not perform well for the S2 signals (or ku). If you will only have one dish it should be a 10 footer. The receiver will move the dish just fine, but so will a vbox since you don't need a polarity controller with that feedhorn (looks like a bsc 621 for both C and ku band).

It's universal, and say it with me... "Free is best". YMMV, and each person is different in the amount they feel comfortable spending.

My first free dish cost me at least $200 to go get it. My second dish I paid $100 for because it was in good shape and I felt sorry for the guy because he is mentally challenged and has a difficult time of it. Since then I have been offered at least 4 other dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts