Advice on Buying a projector

Nakkoush

Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Hi,
I am completely new to the projectors field,
My budget is between $1000 to $2000

I need to buy a projector...

I want to be able to use my projector outside and inside the house, it will be connected to the following electronics: DVD, Satellite receiver, Local TV channels,...

The size required of the projected image if possible within the amount i want to spend is not less than 4m diagonal, if possible...

Any advice is highly appreciated...
NB: from pricegrabber.com i saw the the highest rating for the projector is: Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD Projector

What do you think?

We have more than enough expertise to point you in the right direction here.

The Mitsubishi HD1000U is really hard to beat, under a grand for an incredible 720p picture that will be much brighter than the AE700 (you said for outside use sometimes) and great video processing.

Two of the staffers here have it including me. I've been at this a long time and this is THE bang for the buck projector right now.

Please tell us your distance to the wall/screen.

We have more than enough expertise to point you in the right direction here.

The Mitsubishi HD1000U is really hard to beat, under a grand for an incredible 720p picture that will be much brighter than the AE700 (you said for outside use sometimes) and great video processing.

Two of the staffers here have it including me. I've been at this a long time and this is THE bang for the buck projector right now.

Please tell us your distance to the wall/screen.
Thanks mate for your fast reply..
well the distance can be between 4 to 6m..
is that ok?

The Mitusubitsi HD1000U should fit your needs, I have not taken mine outside yet as the weather has not permitted but it should do exactly what you want... I run mine with both Direct and Dish network Satellite, and with an Htpc via Htmi (HD)

Pj

Since you're going to use it outside also, I assume you will using a table mount, or on a shelf inside? I agree that the Pan. 700 would not be bright enough. You're saying you want a 12' diagonal screen? I love my Mits. HD1000 and it's pretty bright. But you'll have to run it in high power mode for a screen that big. You're going to lose a lot of image quality going that big.

Since you're going to use it outside also, I assume you will using a table mount, or on a shelf inside? I agree that the Pan. 700 would not be bright enough.
Yes you are right mate,
when it is going to be outside, it will be standing on a table mount, you are right.
Forget about the 700U definitely i am not going for it :) ...

Obviously the HD1000, has been stellar i made a research on it...and it is aslo going to cost me less than $1000 which is not bad!
For now, 80% i am going to get The "Mitsubishi HD1000U"

You're saying you want a 12' diagonal screen? I love my Mits. HD1000 and it's pretty bright. But you'll have to run it in high power mode for a screen that big. You're going to lose a lot of image quality going that big.
In that case what could be the stellar alternative in your opinion?

Thanks,
Nakkoush

The problem is to get a higher resolution projector that is brighter will set you back a few thousand more dollars!

Hope to welcome you to the HD1000 club soon.

Pj

The alternative is to use a smaller screen. The size you're thinking of is not realistic. You'll probably be able to do a 10' diagonal. I was asking how you're going to mount it when inside the house. I wouldn't use a ceiling mount if you're going to be taking it up and down.

I bought an Optoma HD70 at Christmas time for $899 (reg $999) and have been very happy with it. It is full 720p native widescreen, and everything I"ve put up on it looks great. I think BBY and CC both stock it, so you can try it and if its not what you like take it back.

The alternative is to use a smaller screen. The size you're thinking of is not realistic. You'll probably be able to do a 10' diagonal. I was asking how you're going to mount it when inside the house. I wouldn't use a ceiling mount if you're going to be taking it up and down.

In fact i placed an order for the HD1000 ;)
but i can still cancel my order if i want to within two days

In fact when my screen is going to be inside the max image size will be 2.2m (7.2ft) diagonal, my question here, how far my projector has to be from the wall to produce a 2.2m (7.2ft) diagonal image size?

yet i haven't tought where and how to really fix my projector, because as i said initially i have no experience with projector yet, i am a structure engineer, had nothing to do with projectors :)

In fact i am still thinking to cancel my order and to go for the HC3000 specially if it is going to give me better results outside, with small lights surroundings! :rolleyes:

What do you think?

Pj

Did you ever hear the expression, "You can't have your cake and eat it too"? The 3000 will give you a better image with darker blacks, but it won't be nearly as bright(for your large screen size outside). The 1000 will be brighter, but the blacks won't be as black as the 3000. You have to decide what is more important to you, and if you want to spend the extra money for the 3000.

So in other words the brightness in the cheaper projectors drowns out the image quality?

That statement or agreeing to it, is painting too broad of a stroke over every item. First is depends on what "cheap" really means, what dollar amount is that threshold of product? Not everyone's budget defines cheap the same way. And second some inexpensive projectors to very well; great brightness and superb image quality. I prefer using the word inexpensive over cheap, as cheap (to me) means a seriously lousy piece of crap item; at any cost.

So in other words the brightness in the cheaper projectors drowns out the image quality?

Not exactly. The brighter an image the more difficult it is to get black. I love when reviewers talk about a projectors ability to produce blacks. Black is the absence of light. CRT's are the only technology that can totally turn off a phosphor.

The Mits 1000 is the best of both worlds, a compromise must be made between brightness and black level. Trust me, if you like the way ANY LCD monitor looks you'll be thrilled with the 1000u.

Not exactly. The brighter an image the more difficult it is to get black. I love when reviewers talk about a projectors ability to produce blacks. Black is the absence of light. CRT's are the only technology that can totally turn off a phosphor.

The Mits 1000 is the best of both worlds, a compromise must be made between brightness and black level. Trust me, if you like the way ANY LCD monitor looks you'll be thrilled with the 1000u.

I trust you mate, I am going ahead for the 1000U :)

Do you guys have any ides on how much more or less costs the lamp for the 1000U i was adviced somewhere to look for the price of the any projector's lamp before buying it...

Thanks in advance fellows.

Indeed it was a perfect choice to go for the HD1000..
I am very happy so far...

Now, i want to buy another projector for my sister and i am ready even to spend a bit more than the HD1000,

what do you think about the "Mitsubishi HD4000U DLP Projector "?

I even have the opportunity of swapping the new HD400 with my HD1000
wink.gif

What do you think?

Once again, thank you.

Indeed it was a perfect choice to go for the HD1000..
I am very happy so far...

Now, i want to buy another projector for my sister and i am ready even to spend a bit more than the HD1000,

what do you think about the "Mitsubishi HD4000U DLP Projector "?

I even have the opportunity of swapping the new HD400 with my HD1000
wink.gif

What do you think?

Once again, thank you.

Stick with the HD1000u, get another one for your sister. Your next step in the future will be a 1080p projector so start a small savings account for your bulb but put a little more in there from time to time so that when it is time for the bulb, you could just as easily sell that and get the 1080p PJ. The bonuses you will see in the HD4000 are not enough to spend that extra money now.

Isn't a true big screen wonderful? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)