Advice on install of VIP222k

mrgem

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
rocky mountains
I need some advice on upgrading my old Dish hardware.

I need to move up to a Dish HD receiver to replace my old DP311 SD receivers and my Dish 500/LNB. I will be replacing 2 DP311s with a single VIP222k. I have ordered a VIP222 from a Dish dealer who sells through Amazon. I've also been told that I will need an upgraded Dish/LNB that is compatible with the VIP222, so I ordered a new dish/LNB -- a 1000.2.

I contacted Dish through their support forum to determine what other hardware I might need and they are discouraging me from doing my own installation. They have urged me to purchase a $7/month "protection plan" which I assume is an extended warranty. They tell me that if I buy the Protection plan, they will send out a tech to install my new hardware for free. That's a generous offer -- but I am not sure that I need the "protection plan." I installed the DP311s myself back in 2005 and it wasn't too difficult at all, as I recall. But the VIP222k install may be more difficult.

First, what will I need to send the signal down from the LNB to the receiver. I've read that it requires a "switch" -- either a DP-33 or a DP-34. It sounds like the DP-33 can be used with only one coax, but requires an additional component. The DP-34 uses 2 coax feeds going down to the receiver, I believe.

I've also read about "diplexers" that could be needed. Are the switches and diplexers one and the same?

Finally, can I use my 8 year-old coax, or should I buy all new?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can do all the install yourself. I did when I bought my 622 and a 1000.2 over 7 years ago. I had everything up and running before I called Diah and I was told they would have to sent someone out to install the equipment for me. When I adamantly told them the equipment is installed and fully functional I just need to activate it they finally relented.

You only need one cable from the 1000.2 to the separator with 2 short cables for the receiver. My coax has been up for over 12 years now and still works fine.

You can find the 222 manual @ http://www.mydish.com/support/receiver-manuals?WT.svl=contentarea The manual is the same as the 222k, the k is black.

The Dish 100.2 manual is available @ http://www.mydish.com/support/installation-manuals-page?WT.svl=contentarea

I do have the Protection Plan because anytime I have a problem with the Dish hardware the service call or exchange is "free" and I have used it several times.

Rick -- Thanks so much for the affirmation. This is not rocket science, but I have already spent a ton of money on programming upgrades and the new hardware that I want to make sure I do not waste time/money experimenting.

When you say "Two short cables," roughly how long? 2 feet, perhaps? The cable I have been using for the last 8 years is high quality, but I've seen posts on some forums which suggest that I use "newer, quality RG6" to link the LNBF to the receiver and from the receiver to TV2. Which model separator did you use? And was that used in conjuction with an electronic "switch" such as a DP-33, Dp-34, or a DP-44?

Thanks again for your help/advice. It's always good to chat with someone who has had hands on!

The 222k should come with a separator that has 2 short cables about 5-1/2 inches. The signal from the satellite dish has one sugnal modulated onto the other. The separator demdulates the signal so that you have one signal for Tuner 1 and one signal for Tuner 2. It has SEPARATOR and 123254 stamped on it. There is also a newer version called a triplexer that has a separator and a diplexer on the same block. See pictures of each on eBay @ http://stores.ebay.com/Shop-PCG/_i.html?_kw=dish&_kw=separator&_sid=182107897 The addition of the diplexer allows you to send an OTA signal on the single cable for the OTA tuner. If you are only using one coax you do not need any DP switches.

Triplexer info

Attachments

• 20100118_TriplexerIntro-DN.pdf
    434.8 KB · Views: 265
Thanks to both of you....THe DishPro Triplexer looks like the way to go. That way, I can add a feed from an OTA antenna and/or a second dish...which works for me.

Thanks to both of you....THe DishPro Triplexer looks like the way to go. That way, I can add a feed from an OTA antenna and/or a second dish...which works for me.

The triplexer will only accept OTA. If you want to only add one more dish you use the input located on the LNB. If you add more than one additional dish you must deal with a compatible DP switch.