Advice on satellite service

crazyal

Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
I'm currently have Adelphia cable but this summer I'm building a house and cable will no longer be an option. I can't say that Adelphia here in Vermont has impressed me (only stayed with it for high speed internet). A co-worker has a large dish and has talked me into leaning that direction over dish or dtv.

My question is what are people's views as to what are the pros/ cons of each satellite? I've noticed with Adelphia that their HD channels range from great to over compressed signals and HD service is very important to me. i've thought about Voom but not sure if they carry enough non-hd programming and I think my chances of getting any ota channels (hd or sd) is unlikely (the price you pay for being up in the mountians). I have a good view of the eastern sky to about southwestern. I own plenty of land so a large dish (15') would not be an issue. Anybody who would like to give me there impressions I would love to hear them.

Well the big dish (aka BUD) is the best overall quality and price, BUT..
1. Only one TV can view at a time.
2. Expensive startup even if you find a used system. (Unless you get it 100% free)
3. Although I love mine, they are not 100% user friendly for the newbie.

I have had experience with all 3 and when it comes to DBS providers (V*, E*, D*) I prefer the extra few dollars per month for D*. They seem to have the best vision going forward. If you need sports they are the ONLY way to go, period! They also seem to have the most reliable hardware, but are currently in the process of switching to D* branded gear only and starting this summer they will begin to upgrade to MPEG4 . Once you decide which direction to go, then you can post more detailed questions in the specific areas here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)