Advice on setting up a 2nd tv

Schmadic

Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
I was wondering how i would go about hooking up a second tv to the voom reviever. I would only be watching one tv at a time as one is in my bedroom and one is in my living room so I don't want another box and the mirror fee. Is there a way to do this with the voom box or am i sol.

Are they both HD? If so, can you run long Component cables from one room to another?
If one of your TV sets is SD, then you can simply use the coax cable. You might be able to use your existing cable wiring for that purpose. You will also need an RF remote to change channels remotely.

Unfortunantley it's only SD, but it is good to know that i will be able to use the coax cabling. I was aware that i would need an rf remote but thanks for the heads up. Now what do I do about the resolution the box outputs? My main TV is only 1080i and obviously my other one is SD so what setting do I put the voom box on, 1080i or auto?
On a side note Wilt got my my installation troubles sorted out, hopefully as a different satellite company will be coming out tomorrow. So props to Wilt... :bow

Schmadic said:
Now what do I do about the resolution the box outputs? My main TV is only 1080i and obviously my other one is SD so what setting do I put the voom box on, 1080i or auto?
Coax will always be 480i (all channels will be downconverted to 480i regardless of your settings), so I think you should keep your STB set to 1080i.

Cool I'll give that a shot thanks a bunch. I'll be sure to post up my install experience tomorrow as well.

I use a RABBIT to run the VOOM receiver to two other tv's in my house. They used to sell them in Radio Shack in the early 90's. You can currently buy them on ebay...just make sure that the IR sensor is included. For those that have never seen these...there is a transmitter and receiver....both very small black boxes. The transmitter goes at the VOOM receiver. You hook up the coax out to the rabbit and then you run what looks like a speaker wire...very small...to where the receiver is. In the back of the transmitter there is a slot for the IR sensor and you put that sensor right in front of the VOOM box. Take the VOOM remote to your other location and you can change ch's with the VOOM remote by pointing it at the Rabbit receiver. I actually have one transmitter and 2 receivers. Thats so I could watch VOOM in my bedroom and my basement. But these are only good for STD TV's. You can actually run two signals into the transmitter. I have cable service running on one side...and VOOM on the other. I placed the IR in the right place in front of the cable box and the VOOM receiver and I can control either one. Check out ebay for these sometimes they are called vcr duplicators. Very cool...and also very cheap.

Schmadic-
Good luck with your installation. I've got 4 TV's running on the same STB, and keep the resolution at 1080i. We used existing wiring to run coax from the STB to a 1 in, 4 out splitter. Main TV is a Pioneer plasma. Also have a little LG LCD panel, and the other two are SD sets.

Remotes: I use Harmony remote for main system. On other TV's, Radio Shack sells a remote extender system. Has a transmitter and receiver as described above by vinny07, and you can buy additional receiver units. I have receivers plugged in near each of the three extra TV's, and use the Voom remote when watching any of those. The transmitter unit is pointed at the STB, and it relays commands from the Voom remote. Works great, so we can choose any of 4 locations to watch TV.

As Ilya points out, the use of coax limits you to 480i on your peripheral TV's. I bought the LG television before I knew that. It is a nice little panel, and capable of 1080i--but not with a 480i signal. But the picture is very good, my wife would swear that it is HD, and she doesn't follow this forum--so I'm still a hero.

I'm also interested in running another TV from the coax output on the STB. You are talking about SD TVs which I guess means standard digital. Does that mean it has to be a new digital TV, or can I use my old analog cable ready TV?

rrobe99999 said:
I'm also interested in running another TV from the coax output on the STB. You are talking about SD TVs which I guess means standard digital. Does that mean it has to be a new digital TV, or can I use my old analog cable ready TV?
SD = Standard Definition
Any TV with a coax input should work.

Radio Shack has a great wireless transmitter that I'm using. It sends the IR signal and the TV signal. You can get the pair for under 100 bucks at Radio Shack. I have my VOOM receiver upstairs in the bedroom and the SD TV downstairs. I have no issues sending the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)