Advice please! OTA antenna Install question, should I wait?

Killswitchengage

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Hey everyone,

SO I'm reading about the new HD programming and deals, and I see that in areas where DISH is not yet offering HD locals, I can get Dish to come out and install an OTA antenna for $49 correct?

I live in a DC suburb (about 20 miles south of DC so I'm thinking I qualify. I just recently bought a Channelmaster Stealthtenna that I was going to attempt to install this weekend, but after seeing the $49 deal, should I wait and have it done professionally? I can easily return the Stelathtenna.

My worry is, I have no idea on how to install this thing. I mean will I need a rotor and preamp? Or can I just wall install this thing and manually move it depending on what channel I want to watch?

I did some initial testing, just running the coax into the antenna and running it out my back door when I first brought it home. I easily picked up CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, WB, and PBS with just a slight movement east or west

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Killswitchengage said:
Hey everyone,

SO I'm reading about the new HD programming and deals, and I see that in areas where DISH is not yet offering HD locals, I can get Dish to come out and install an OTA antenna for $49 correct?

I live in a DC suburb (about 20 miles south of DC so I'm thinking I qualify. I just recently bought a Channelmaster Stealthtenna that I was going to attempt to install this weekend, but after seeing the $49 deal, should I wait and have it done professionally? I can easily return the Stelathtenna.

My worry is, I have no idea on how to install this thing. I mean will I need a rotor and preamp? Or can I just wall install this thing and manually move it depending on what channel I want to watch?

I did some initial testing, just running the coax into the antenna and running it out my back door when I first brought it home. I easily picked up CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, WB, and PBS with just a slight movement east or west

Since you already bought an antenna, go ahead and install it. You can buy a diplexor (2 - one for each end) to combine the Sat and Ant into a single coax and slpit it back out to the tv and receiver. You can buy diplexors at Lowes.

Killswitchengage said:
Hey everyone,

Call Fairfax Antenna, Dish wont give us HD locals for several months, in this area, in a best case scenario.

Killswitchengage said:
Hey everyone,

Is this correct and if so do they provide the antenna? I'm sure their antenna is crapy but it should suffice for me. I'm getting OTA well with rabbit ears. It just breaks up when a big truck drives by my house.

I live in Burke and have a StealthTenna. It works fine- much better than the clip on antenna you're likely to get from Dish. Put it up & you'll be happy. BTW, I installed the optional internal amplifier.

I've considered getting a different antenna to try to pull in Baltimore & Annapolis stations, which are iffy with the StealthTenna since they're so far away. But for DC area stations, the StealthTenna works great.

navychop said:
I live in Burke and have a StealthTenna. It works fine- much better than the clip on antenna you're likely to get from Dish. Put it up & you'll be happy. BTW, I installed the optional internal amplifier.

I've considered getting a different antenna to try to pull in Baltimore & Annapolis stations, which are iffy with the StealthTenna since they're so far away. But for DC area stations, the StealthTenna works great.

Yeah I did a test last Saturday with the stealthtenna when it was windy and cloudy and got all the DC channels with a 75% TO 85% signal strength but went ahead and ordered the preamp today anyway.

I'm alos told by many folks that since I'm going to attempt to install under my deck that I won't need to worry about grounding the thing.

Wish me luck!:) :)

Fairfax Antenna will sell and mount the antenna, and configure everything for $300. All you have to do is sip you lemonade and sign the check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)