Advise on hdmi cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Justeve

Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Central Pa.
(Yes I am a newb.)

I recently got connected to Direct tv, on the skinny. One TV with a single H20 receiver. I have a 2nd set in the bedroom and want to connect it to the box in the living room. Both are lower end LCD's.

A 50' hdmi minimum, longer may be easier. I have a "Leapfrog" and a 2nd remote to change channels by radio/IR.

I am assuming I can either set the main TV on component w/hdmi to the back or run both hdmi with a switch box.

Is higher end cable a must? I thought I'd inquire here before placing an order with monoprice.

BTW, thanks. There is a wealth of information, here.

You'll be fine with whatever lenght you need from monoprice, can't beat their prices.

You familiar with RF mode for the remotes, if you have RF remotes (R) at the end of the model number top left corner you can eliminate the ir blaster device.

Well, they are not equal. But chances are good you will not notice any difference between the two options that Monoprice offers at 50': 24AWG and 22AWG.

Just make sure to buy ferrite cores (monoprice sells them separately). And measure your cable distance precisely before placing the order. Do not buy a 75' cable if you can get away with 50' or 45'.

Not only do I buy all of my cables there, I also buy a lot of my iPhone accessories there as well. Why pay $35 for a phone cover when it is less than $1 on monoprice?

I respectfully disagree.

While all cables may not be "equal," there is certainly no justification for the price difference between a Big Lots $15 HDMI cable and a $150 Monster cable. Equal or not, the Monster cable isn't even twice as good as the Big Lots cable, let alone worth ten times the price.

While your more expensive cable might be slightly better, it isn't worth the price. Maybe $25 vs. $15 for the slight increase in quality. Is that fair? Because $150 is not.

Even if I won $100 Million in Powerball, I still wouldn't pay $150 for a Monster HDMI cable. It is a waste.

Tell me how I am wrong if you think I am wrong. Thanks.

While all cables may not be "equal," there is certainly no justification for the price difference between a Big Lots $15 HDMI cable and a $150 Monster cable. Equal or not, the Monster cable isn't even twice as good as the Big Lots cable, let alone worth ten times the price.

While your more expensive cable might be slightly better, it isn't worth the price. Maybe $25 vs. $15 for the slight increase in quality. Is that fair? Because $150 is not.

Even if I won $100 Million in Powerball, I still wouldn't pay $150 for a Monster HDMI cable. It is a waste.

I agree with you 110%. Monster is a rip off. I think all HDMI cables are equal. Not worth the extra money for those "big name" cables.

I think those who get Monster or expensive cables are those who must have AOL back in the day. LOL Way overpriced for the same product.

skottey said:

My point was meaning nearly exactly what you said, but also that I truly think that some older cables and "included" cable sometimes just do not perform as well as cables manufactured recently; especially when it comes to the length of the cable and in some case interference. I am not advocating the spending of $20 or more for a quality HDMI cable and if you have read any of my previous posts I also direct people toward Monoprice. Basically I say "KNOW where you cable comes from and its quality. Just because it has the correct connection type on the end, doesn't mean all cables are identical."

My point was meaning nearly exactly what you said, but also that I truly think that some older cables and "included" cable sometimes just do not perform as well as cables manufactured recently; especially when it comes to the length of the cable and in some case interference. I am not advocating the spending of $20 or more for a quality HDMI cable and if you have read any of my previous posts I also direct people toward Monoprice. Basically I say "KNOW where you cable comes from and its quality. Just because it has the correct connection type on the end, doesn't mean all cables are identical."

Why would I go out of my way to read your previous posts? I'll take your word for it. I was merely commenting on a thread (this one) as I came across it.

all HDMI cables are equal

That may be a good rule to go by when dealing with a standard length like 6', but if a difference in quality were to show up, it would likely be with a longer cable, such as the 50' cable being discussed. I'd never go so far as to recommend a Monster Cable though. The monoprice stuff should be fine.

Wow 50 feet that's a pretty long run for HDMI, I hope you don't have a image quality/hanshake issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.