Aereo

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does anyone here subscribe to the Aereo service?

They are coming to Dallas Sept 23rd. I got an email yesterday saying I was being invited to their public beta. Can't wait to get the details on that!

For those who have the service; is it worth it?

We are looking to cut the cord so to speak with Directv after our contract is up and save some money every month by using Rokus to stream Aereo, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

They only carry local channels so if you cannot get locals no other way yes well worth it. I tried it here in the Atlanta area but i get my locals with a antenna so i did not keep it.

To me, it doesnt look like a worthwhile service at all. You can get the same channels with a regular antenna.

I have it in the Atlanta metro. The advantage of Aereo is that you can watch TV on your desktop, laptop, smartphone, etc. You can record and watch later, which you cannot do with your own antenna unless you have a separate recording device such as Tivo. The quality is excellent, although I did have some buffering issues during a severe thunderstorm. It is limited to local TV and digital sub channels, plus Bloomberg and a few other channels I personally consider worthless. You can try it for a month at no cost.

We get locals via Directv but as everyone knows the satellite companies compress the crap out of HD channels.

We are 80+ miles away from the towers for the Tyler/Longview market and about 90+ miles away from the towers for the DFW market. We can't get locals via antenna either way.

Thinking of adding Aereo to my "cord cutting" collection (Netflix/Hulu/OTA/FTA) this fall...but cutting the cord is now getting to be a bit expensive..contrary to its savings intent.

Cheers, K

Thinking of adding Aereo to my "cord cutting" collection (Netflix/Hulu/OTA/FTA) this fall...but cutting the cord is now getting to be a bit expensive..contrary to its savings intent.

Cheers, K

Amazon prime is a good choice too

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Don't have Aereo in Ohio yet but I wouldn't need it since i get all the Cincinnati and Dayton locals OTA. On a side note I figure in our house we spend $20 a month on dish welcome pak (wife watches it lol), $8.00 a month on Netflix which seems like I've seen everything good they've had lately. Don't use the FTA like I used too. Just putting my dvd's etc...on my external drive and watching using XBMC or Plex

We get locals via Directv but as everyone knows the satellite companies compress the crap out of HD channels.

We are 80+ miles away from the towers for the Tyler/Longview market and about 90+ miles away from the towers for the DFW market. We can't get locals via antenna either way.

I would say this service is made just for you. You will get all your locals including sub channels plus 20 hours of recording for $8.00/ month. Be aware that you can only watch on one device at a time.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Dillers thoughts on business model

“There is no regulation that says, ‘Wait a minute, is it mathematically positive, or reasonable, for 75 million who don’t want ESPN to pay for the 25 percent who do, at a false price?’ ” said Barry Diller, the media executive who is backing the technology of a company called Aereo that streams broadcast channels online and is viewed as a challenge to cable.
Bundling by media giants, Mr. Diller said, “is some game if you’ve got it: ‘Wow, what do I have to do to have this absolute pricing power in a totally closed system?’ ”

ESPN's president, John Skipper, described rising monthly cable fees as a "beautiful business model."Richard Perry/The New York Times

Subscription Fees from same series;

SUBSCRIBER COSTS/month:
C-SPAN ($0.06)
The Weather Channel ($0.13)
Comedy Central ($0.18)
MSNBC ($0.21)
Bravo ($0.24)
TBS ($0.59)
ESPN2 ($0.70)
TNT ($1.24)
ESPN ($5.54)

In California the courts have rulled that aero like service is not legal.

New York courts have stated it is. It looks like some areas will get aero while others will not depending on how the local courts rule.

In California the courts have rulled that aero like service is not legal.

New York courts have stated it is. It looks like some areas will get aero while others will not depending on how the local courts rule.

It has not been ruled legal or illegal yet. Just that the 9th District which covers CA issued an injunction stopping Aereokiller from offering service during a trial, while the 4th District Court refused to issue and injunction, allowing Aereo to operate during the trial.

The roku channel for Aereo sucks. :( I wish it had a more traditional guide.

The roku channel for Aereo sucks. :( I wish it had a more traditional guide.
Aero on the web has a pretty decent guide and you can always check Titan TV if you need to know what's on. Keep it simple and keep the price as low as possible. I figure for $8.00 its a pretty decent service, I like it as a back up for my OTA. Don't see keeping it long term though. Only until I get some reception issues worked out.

Sent via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts