AFN / PowerVu D9234 / Mini BUD Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've read quite a few good reviews GeoSatPro microHD but think I'll hold off until I move and can have a dish big enough to get everything available. I did find a 10 foot mesh BUD for sale in the area that I'm thinking about getting and putting in the garage for later use.

Alright, finally got a little time to play with this thing again today but still no luck. I was receiving signal strength of 83-84 on H and 75-76 on V fixed listed in the instruction's posted by Iceberg. All other settings are exact as the posted instructions but still get 0 on signal quality. I also tried NIT "yes" and "no" but that made no difference so I'm at a loss. I have slowly moved the lnb around to get the signal strengths as high as I did ensuring I'm at the same focal point as the KU setup that I was able to lock. Have tried with and with scalar ring and conical scalar ring, better results with the conical scalar ring. Have also tried inserting and removing the dielectric plate, its changes signal to slightly less with plate inserted. Any suggestions? Still can't upload pics for some reason.

Got signal strength up to 79, still no signal quality/lock. I knew this was a long shot but now thinking its not going to happen with this dish. I would go bigger but I'm sure someone would say something since I'm oversize already by .2 meters. I wonder if the picture posting problem is an IE issue?

I realize Signal strength is there as long as the lnb is plugged in. I get 60-65 aimed at nothing, but spikes up to upper 70's and 80's when aimed at 99w. If I move the dish or lnb, signal strength goes down. I'm definitely new at this hobby but figured that was some indication that I was aimed in pretty close. Think I will go ahead and get the microHD, at least I'll know for sure. And I won't waste another entire day trying to fine tune and possibly be on the wrong target.

I wonder if the picture posting problem is an IE issue?
Yeah, quite likely. Have seen similar symptoms on others computers. Having them switch browsers fixed it. Google Chrome &/or Firefox is all I use. In windoze or Ubuntu (linux) FWIW: I.E. is ONLY required for manually checking windoze updates on their website. (Start>Programs>Windows Update)
dielectric plate
Only installed if aimed at circular C band satellites(out over the Atlantic) If installed for a CONUS satellite(linear pol.) signal loss is the result.
Think I will go ahead and get the microHD, at least I'll know for sure.
Think that's a good plan. Will at least get more, or clearer 'results' from the S & Q meters, and quite possibly something to watch. FWIW: The 'open' Pentagon channel is on 101W, Ku.

Got a Signal lock

Well, turns out I was pointed in the right direction and all my settings were correct. The dish size was just too small as suggested. I ordered a 6ft from Sadoun and was able to get programming today. Initially I had my doubts as nothing for SQ showed up again after peaking out the signal strength. A small adjustment to the skew and SQ jumped up to 2 (SQ meter goes 1-10) and I could watch programming. Now comes the hard part of making it less noticeable to avoid any complaints from neighbors. Thanks to all that provided advice and pictures to follow once I'm finished hiding it.

My Scientific Atlanta D9835 went dark a couple of days ago. It still showing as an authorized receiver but cant see anything anymore just only TPC. Does anyone knows if any parameters changed?? Thanks

No parameters have changed in the US. In 2013 European customers had to change the net ID to continue their services but that was mid year. No changes anywhere else that I'm aware of.

No parameters have changed in the US. In 2013 European customers had to change the net ID to continue their services but that was mid year. No changes anywhere else that I'm aware of.

Hey Oki, thanks for your response,
Well, indeed something happens. It will probably need to be re-activated?? I read somewhere it most be done every 3 years or so?? Also, the SD receiver are suppose to go down at some point and only the new Cisco HD will work on?? Does your Scientific Atlanta still working fine??

Yes, typically the receivers need to be re-authorized every (3) years. If you are an authorized user outside CONUS it should be no problem. Service in CONUS are not authorized so I wouldn't try activating with a US address. I'm using a HD receiver right now, the SD is put away in the closet. I can get it out to test tomorrow and let you know but I don't think that is your issue. There is only (1) channel on the HD receiver broadcast in HD. Eventually the SD will be go down but I think we still have a couple years on them.

Last edited:
I know the 1.2 meter is a long shot but have read many promising posts on here that inspired me to at least give it a try. The dish is actually bigger than I should have on base housing (1m max) but I have it hidden behind some bushes. Will see how long it takes for base housing to notice and tell me to take it down. Also, probably doesn't make any difference but I'm in Southern California.
I do have the LNB plugged straight into the receiver as I just want 99w at the moment. The D9234 changes from C/KU depending on what frequencies are programmed into each preset. I have set a couple presets setup based off examples posted my Iceberg and a couple other members. Most of the posts I read are 5+ years old though.

If you want to get AFN you will have to fish 89W (Galaxy 28). For C-Band anywhere in California you'll need a 1.3 meter dish. You are better off fishing for 89W (Galaxy 28) on Ku-band. Worst case scenario you will need a 70cm/27.6in/.70meter dish for Ku-band and best case scenario a 65cm/25.6in/.65meter dish (from center North of Fairfield down South all the way to but just before of Long Beach and San Pedro covering East to West from half of Yosemite and Kings Canyon National Park to the coast line. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts