after 1 week with VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

elocs

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 9, 2004
La Crosse, WI
I have had VOOM for 1 week now and I must say that I am very satisfied with it. My install went very well and I now have to iron out some ota problems. I get most of the channels that I watched on cable plus all of the hd programming for only a few bucks a month more. The hd picture is outstanding. I have had a 30" widescreen Samsung for nearly 2 years now, but have not had any hd programming. Sure, many of the programs and movies repeat, and the movies may not be all 3 and 4 stars, but they are more than I had before. Besides, I tend to be more of a tv grazer and with the repeats I manage to watch a movie or concert in maybe 6 different bites. Some of the hd quality is so good that I watch things that I would not watch before.

I am very satisfied with VOOM and I am happy to be in near the beginning of this new venture. If VOOM can attract the current hdtv owners with their lineup of hd channels that is greater than 5 or 6, then it should grow fast. I believe that programming content and quality will grow as the number of hdtv's increases. If VOOM does not make it what will the complainers have to bitch about with the dishes or cables systems than only offer a handful of hd stations? I believe that whatever happens with VOOM it is driving others to increase their hdtv offerings, and that can only be a good thing for hdtv and its future.

One question: does anybody know what the input/output is on the back of the receiver, just to the right of the dvi output?

I think you are talking about the RF Coaxial connection. It is described in the PDF on the STB on Voom's website as "RF - Using a coaxial RF cable, connect the A/V receiver RF input to the RF output on the satellite box. Your TV and/or VCR will need to be on channel 3 to receive the RF signal."

I've read elsewhere in the forum that this connection currently has no use.

Posted today at 5:20 pm by "Indy"....

"It is for a RF remote. Voom elected not to use the feature at the present time but may in the future. Unless they develop software to recognize the RF signals and what to do with them, then the rf will not work with the receiver because the receiver has no idea what to do with the rf signals.

elocs said:
One question: does anybody know what the input/output is on the back of the receiver, just to the right of the dvi output?
The one immediately to the right of DVI is actually USB. I don't think it is presently being used for anything.

I've also had VOOM for about a week now and have to say that I'm very happy with it too. I had a very good installer and everything went well there.

I even went out and bought a new TV so that I could get everything out of it :p. Went from a 4:3 50" to a 44" Widescreen DLP Projection, and it is just "wow!" at the picture quality. I've not had any signal drop outs even in a little bit of bad weather.

And I also watch things now, like Discovery HD, that I wouldn't normally watch just because it looks so good. I'm also very happy about all the soccer I get now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)