After 15 years Im not so happy any more

Dan in VA

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
I've been with Dish for 15 years, in six houses covering four states and I finally have a complaint. I always use Dish mover, and did so in December of 2012. The installer promised me over and over that the neighbor's tree would not obstruct the view even in a few years. Well starting in April, my 72 sat is only able to get up to 15 on the point dish range and frequently falls to 0. My 65 sat is working fine in the 35 range.

I've called a few times, both time with disappointing experiences related language barriers. Even tried a text chat once and it seemed the person I was chatting with kept losing their train of thought and asking me to repeat things just a few lines up.

I know I could pay $145 to have them come out and move it but this time I'm just going to end service. I know it is the installer and not Dish per se and if I fought it hard enough I could probably get it fixed but with so many other options I don't have the drive to work that hard to give someone my money.

Just wanted to "rant" for a minute. Thanks

Last edited:
The loyalty of 15 years as a customer won't get you much I'm afraid other than lip service.

I too would be inclined to cancel the service and move on for awhile unless they take care of it. I suspect however, that Dish has no way of verifying your circumstance and will not be able to help unless it is via a loyalty service. Trees and such do in fact grow over time and a tech (you should also know better) has no way to tell how much and when a tree will become an obstruction.

It may be as simple as a single branch ???? Wonder if the local tree guy could pop it off.

When I was in In VA (rural area) I had great luck with the local power company helping out on a few occasions with their bucket truck too.

I've been with Dish for 15 years, in six houses covering four states and I finally have a complaint. I always use Dish mover, and did so in December of 2012. The installer promised me over and over that the neighbor's tree would not obstruct the view even in a few years. Well starting in April, my 72 sat is only able to get up to 15 on the point dish range and frequently falls to 0. My 65 sat is working fine in the 35 range.

I've called a few times, both time with disappointing experiences related language barriers. Even tried a text chat once and it seemed the person I was chatting with kept losing their train of thought and asking me to repeat things just a few lines up.

I know I could pay $145 to have them come out and move it but this time I'm just going to end service. I know it is the installer and not Dish per se and if I fought it hard enough I could probably get it fixed but with so many other options I don't have the drive to work that hard to give someone my money.

Just wanted to "rant" for a minute. Thanks
If you are out of contract, ask to cancel the service and they will likely credit you enough to pay for the tree work. Otherwise you can sign up again in two months or switch to DTV and and save around $500 with a new two year contract.

It is also possible that the dish just needs to be repeaked. Can you access the dish and pull on it a little from side to side while someone is watching the signal meter?

Trees and such do in fact grow over time and a tech (you should also know better) has no way to tell how much and when a tree will become an obstruction.
It may be as simple as a single branch ???? Wonder if the local tree guy could pop it off.

When I was in In VA (rural area) I had great luck with the local power company helping out on a few occasions with their bucket truck too.

Yeah, I know the tree grows, but he has said the angle it was receiving at would not cause an issue. Having had Dish for many years I was leery of this and should have stuck with my gut instead of trusting his response. He is a Dish installer not an arborist after all so I should have known. I could pop it off the branches easily but the neighbor won't allow it and quite frankly it would make the tree look funny after a few years.

It is also possible that the dish just needs to be repeaked. Can you access the dish and pull on it a little from side to side while someone is watching the signal meter?

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. It is installed at knee level so easy to adjust.

Is there any place where the tree would not cause a conflict? If so, contact a member of DIRT and see what they can do for you.

Yes, it could be moved. The fee is $95 for a tech visit, and $50 for the move. DIRT is an idea I had not thought about.

The way I am reading this, if it isn't this it will something else that will make you want to switch. Being the first problem would make me think... Hmmm if I switch will I have no problems in 15 years with someone else? Very unlikely. Try DIRT but in the end I would be more than willing to pay to get it taken care of and have another 15 years of good service. I think an installer saying it won't block the signal in two years has to be taken with a grain of salt anyway, unless that was stated in the install. You must have had an idea it might that's why you asked him.

Reactions: ChadT41
The way I am reading this, if it isn't this it will something else that will make you want to switch. Being the first problem would make me think... Hmmm if I switch will I have no problems in 15 years with someone else? Very unlikely. Try DIRT but in the end I would be more than willing to pay to get it taken care of and have another 15 years of good service. I think an installer saying it won't block the signal in two years has to be taken with a grain of salt anyway, unless that was stated in the install. You must have had an idea it might that's why you asked him.

The installer may have said whatever he thought was right or maybe just what he thought the OP wanted to here. The installer is only liable for one growing season.

The installer may have said whatever he thought was right or maybe just what he thought the OP wanted to hear. The installer is only liable for one growing season.
True, but the installer picked the spot and when questioned he said the angle was higher than the tree would reach. The blockage is around a 30-45 degree angle and he pointed at the sky around a 60 degree angle. :) lol about the growing season

True, but the installer picked the spot and when questioned he said the angle was higher than the tree would reach. The blockage is around a 30-45 degree angle and he pointed at the sky around a 60 degree angle. :) lol about the growing season

Hmmm... That sucks.

Could you just get repointed to Western Arc? Or are your locals EA only. Of course, you still might have the service fee involved.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. It is installed at knee level so easy to adjust.
Yes, it could be moved. The fee is $95 for a tech visit, and $50 for the move. DIRT is an idea I had not thought about.

Seems to be a rather easy solution if the $$$ is a killer issue.

Get a new pole and raise it UP, UP, UP (that will be god for at lease, minimum, 3 years). Take a good look where it is pointed before hand and aim it back with a helper afterwards..

Get a barrel and some short coax to extend it and away you go ... happy, happy, happy !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)