after 17 years with DTV

madmadworld

Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
Thinking of switching to Dish after 17 years with DTV. now i have 11* tuners 2 for the wife 9 for me. during the NBA season i use them all many nights.
going to the dish site i honestly can't get what type of set up it would take to stay at about this level. and any idea of equipment costs per month.
do they have any HD service for Fox Soccer Plus ? DTV does... just on live events.
thanks for reading and any thoughts

hr44
hr24
hr22
hr20

I had a setup similar to this, HR44, and four HR24's. Had 13 tuners with DTV and I ended up going with four Hoppers. I have a wired Joey and a wireless Joey too. I REALLY like the equipment, but not the fees, haha

Reactions: madmadworld
Following up on what Iceberg said, obviously sports is important or at least basketball to you, it's possible not all games will be in HD or at least not from the begining of the game. Happens less now than in the past but still can happen. And DISH may or may not have the alternate channel if there is one for your RSN when the RSN is carrying two live sports. It appears to me Direct Tv does always carry the alternate.

No HD on Fox Soccer Plus either. Also, you didn't ask about this, but if you are recording soccer, be warned that Dish doesn't carry the NBC EPL extra time games on Saturday/Sunday either. Those are online only.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/back-with-directv-some-observations.346441/

This person who just went back to Direct from Dish put this as his #1 observation: "PQ is noticeably better on fast actions sports, not so much to my eyes otherwise. I like that". Not sure if PQ is important to you, but I'd take this into consideration.
I keep seeing this similar statements online.

It bothers me also that with Dish much of the RSN is in SD. Also hearing how the Joeys have been really slow lately also concerns me. I was thinking of switching to Dish from Uverse, but I think I'll just keep Uverse for another year and then switch to Direct.

That was me.

Overall I don't find the PQ between D* and E* all that different, EXCEPT with fast action sports as I said.

If I was a big sports fan, that would be a very important consideration as well as the fact that for most sports, D* has more HD coverage.

Well basketball is about 60% of what I watch on TV.

Uverse is fine on most programming that I watch other than basketball. Some channels/games look like SD. Direct is noticeably better in regards to basketball PQ!

thanks guys

that is so last decade on the NBA.... sd must die

I use Fox Soccer Plus just for Aussie Rules ..... for $15 it should be HD 24/7

do those Hoppers have 4 tuners ?

You will need three Hoppers then. Not sure if Dish will install 3, I did my own, you have to have a series of switches and nodes to get it to work together.
Also, you will have a $12 fee for each extra Hopper, mine are as follows:
HWS 1 - no fee
HWS 2 - $12
HWS 3 - $12
HWS 4 - $12
Joey - $7
Wireless Joey - $7
DVR Fee - $10
So that is $60 in fees each month, just keep the fees in mind

You will need three Hoppers then. Not sure if Dish will install 3, I did my own, you have to have a series of switches and nodes to get it to work together.
HWS 1 - no fee
HWS 2 - $12
HWS 3 - $12
HWS 4 - $12
Joey - $7
Wireless Joey - $7
DVR Fee - $10
You must be grandfathered into the $10 fee. It is $12 for the dvr service fee now. Everything else looked right.

You can lease the first 2 hoppers, but would need to purchase the third.

You must be grandfathered into the $10 fee. It is $12 for the dvr service fee now. Everything else looked right.

You can lease the first 2 hoppers, but would need to purchase the third.
It might be $12? When you are paying them close to $200 per month you tend to TRY to look at fees, LOL :)

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41
HWS 1 - no fee
HWS 2 - $12
HWS 3 - $12
HWS 4 - $12
Joey - $7
Wireless Joey - $7
DVR Fee - $10
Those fees are enough to make anyone's head spin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts