after 17 years with DTV

read post #1
i use 11 now.
I can understand that you may have 11 devices for viewing in the home. I just can't imagine 11 simultaneous recordings/viewers. (Or 9, for that matter.)

Do bear in mind that the Hopper only uses 1 tuner for the 4 major broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC. So, if those make up 4 of your simultaneous recordings, it reduces the number of tuners required.

That's what I was thinking, but how many basketball games are on locals anymore. I really don't know, as I do not watch basketball.

Op must be an very avid fan if he's actually watching that many games. The solutions put forth should work but I'm pretty sure that the op will have to pay to purchase the third hopper. Dish will lease out two hoppers and up to 4 joeys but after that you're paying to purchase the equipment. Keep in mind that this does not change the equipment fees, you pay the same monthly fee whether it's a leased or purchased unit.

As a NBA fan sometimes 9 tuners are not enough. i'm on the west coast some games can be over before i settle in. i record all the games i can and watch the ones that were good. my guess i watch 20+ full games a week and 20+ 4th qtr's. there are only so many hours lol
recorded games can be watched <2 hours 3 in a night no trouble. add in 3 4th qtr's it's good to be retired.

Then there's the Penguins games + and my Favorite Fighting sports (boxing/MMA etc).
yes i do want to know who won and the score before i waste my time on games

thanks for all the reply's .

Reactions: papachops
As a NBA fan sometimes 9 tuners are not enough. i'm on the west coast some games can be over before i settle in. i record all the games i can and watch the ones that were good. my guess i watch 20+ full games a week and 20+ 4th qtr's. there are only so many hours lol
recorded games can be watched <2 hours 3 in a night no trouble. add in 3 4th qtr's it's good to be retired.

Then there's the Penguins games + and my Favorite Fighting sports (boxing/MMA etc).

Being that you are an avid sports fan, and rely on your satellite TV carrier to provide maximum sports coverage, you are probably better off staying with DirecTV. While Dish does offer a fairly good range and amount of sports programming, much better than they used to do, they still lag behind DirecTV when it comes to sports. Because they do not carry certain RSN's, you will miss out on those games, even if you susbscribe to the league packages. Plus, some games are not in HD. And, of course, no NFL Sunday Ticket.

Now, if you need Mandarin, Hindi, or Tagalog language programming, Dish is the place!

Don't switch.

Being that you are an avid sports fan, and rely on your satellite TV carrier to provide maximum sports coverage, you are probably better off staying with DirecTV. While Dish does offer a fairly good range and amount of sports programming, much better than they used to do, they still lag behind DirecTV when it comes to sports. Because they do not carry certain RSN's, you will miss out on those games, even if you susbscribe to the league packages. Plus, some games are not in HD. And, of course, no NFL Sunday Ticket.

Now, if you need Mandarin, Hindi, or Tagalog language programming, Dish is the place!
I agree with these two. Sports being a huge deal for you, especially basketball, I would recommend against Dish in this case. If you do make the switch, you would have to make a huge compromise not only on the games you watch, but whether you actually get to enjoy them(HD v SD). And one thing I can say, is if it say do not sign up for Dish from me .. you know you probably shouldn't...lol

It's pretty sad that they don't fix this for NBA league pass.. it's 2015
the NBA makes sure a HD feed is available the past few years now. should be a non issue.
bandwidth wise even DTV has to scramble around .. i note if stay on league pass channel sometimes i see the start of ppv movie. lol

thanks for your thoughts

It's pretty sad that they don't fix this for NBA league pass.. it's 2015
the NBA makes sure a HD feed is available the past few years now. should be a non issue.
bandwidth wise even DTV has to scramble around .. i note if stay on league pass channel sometimes i see the start of ppv movie. lol

thanks for your thoughts
Oh,.....This is VERY important.....If you cancel you Directv service before the end of the NBA regular season, you will have to subscribe to the League Pass once you activate your new Dish account. Meaning, you'l;l have to pay another fee to receive the service on your new Dish account.
To answer your next question, No, your subscription to NBA League Pass does not "travel" from one provider to another.\
And one other issue. Dish will scrutinize your account more closely as you will exceed the "normal" maximum number tuners in a home which is 6.
Beware that the infamous Dish Audit Team may call you out of the blue at any time of day to ask you to read the Receiver, Smart Card and location ID off the tv for each piece of Dish equipment in your home..
I have never had to deal with them. I can tell you from seeing commentary on here, The Audit Team has no sense of humor. They act without passion or prejudice. They have strict rules to follow and follw them to the letter. If a customer cannot produce the information the demand, the procedure is to shut down all but the primary receiver on the account( I think) until you can satisfy the demand.
Attention all, if there is any inaccuracy in my post here, please chime in and correct.
Thanks

Are you a writer of an NBA blog or something? Just curious.

Those fees are enough to make anyone's head spin.
With DIRECTV, there's a HD/DVR/Whole home fee (or combination of fees) of $21-25 and $6 per additonal TV ($6.50 next month) so the TS is already paying somewhere between $43 and $47 per month now versus $36 for three hoppers and a DVR fee.

A fourth Hopper would put the hurt on the DISH option.

For someone who doesn't want to miss anything (and Buzzer Beater or whatever doesn't suffice), DISH probably isn't the TS's best option to maintain the same level of service.

Reactions: madmadworld
Lots of hoppers for sale. Check the hopper thread, and you'll see a thread I created, and it has a link to quote a few hoppers for sale at an incredibly cheap rate, that also got cleared by the DIrT members here.

In the Dish world, you can own receivers and keep them or sell them when you unsubscribe or upgrade. One particularly nice thing you can do is own a Joey (or two) and activate them only when required. If they were leased and you deactivated them, you'd have to send them back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)