after 17 years with DTV

What is the scoop on dish equipment ? as in when one goes to eBay and looks up owned hr44 ... you find a few. but nothing under Hooper owned.
The difference is that in the DIRECTV world, the only place you can get owned Genies is from DIRECTV employees/contractors. Effectively, the dark grey market is your only hope.

eBay sellers don't make a distinction about Hoppers because most of them were purchased above board through authorized sellers. You can buy owned Hoppers through satellite retailers (both B&M and online) as well as Amazon and Sears.

Using eBay as a yardstick for anything is unwise unless there's no other outlet.

Reactions: madmadworld
If you want to buy a used Hopper or any other Dish receiver make sure you get the receiver number first and call Dish to make sure it was owned and there is no outstanding charges. People have been known to sell leased units on ebay.

So it's the same as DTV.
If you choose to go the private party/Craig's List/eBay route (as you must with DIRECTV), yes. You must always do your due diligence when buying through these outlets.

If you choose to buy through an authorized retailer, you don't need to waste your time verifying things.

The only advantage of owning the receiver is your not tied into a 2 year commitment.
Otgher than that there is no advantages that I know of.
Well, I know this may not matter to most, but if you have a room not used often, you can save money with owned ewuipment by deactivating them and reactivating them the periods you need them. That of course is for a multi room setup and is not as common.

In the Dish world, you can own receivers and keep them or sell them when you unsubscribe or upgrade. One particularly nice thing you can do is own a Joey (or two) and activate them only when required. If they were leased and you deactivated them, you'd have to send them back.
That's an excellent idea!
I've been moving my BR Joey over to the guestroom, when we have people staying over. (I have wiring to both rooms.)
OTOH, I might try the wi-fi dongle. Even though it is unsupported, I understand it works this way, too. (or did, at one time.)

For 11 tuners you'll need:
3 Hoppers + 1 SuperJoey,
2 DPP44 switches (1 can be replaced for DPP33 but I do not recommend it)
1 Duo node (terminate client ports)
1 Solo node
1 integrator (comes with SJ)
1 dish.

That setup would cost you 46$ in equipment fees monthly and would give you your 11 tuners without going to OTA.

Way I'd go about it I'd contact DIRT and made sure dish system will allow to activate 3 Hopers and 1 SJ on same account although I am pretty sure some folks here mentioned having this type of setup.

I'd order Hopper + SuperJoey install, as Dish most likely will not install anything past 2 Hoppers + X joeys, then i'd bought 2 hopers, 2 switches and duo node, add them myself and just called dish to activate them.

You'll get all the help you may require when it comes to connection diagrams on this forum.

Good luck.

As I said there are people on this forum with that type of setup here. Maybe they could chime in how they went about it.
Besides I am proposing ordering H+SJ first then adding 2 more hoppers to the account.

There is nobody with multiple hoppers active with a superjoey on the same account. Even if you start that way, and then add the other hoppers, it will deactivate the SJ.

As I said there are people on this forum with that type of setup here. Maybe they could chime in how they went about it.
Besides I am proposing ordering H+SJ first then adding 2 more hoppers to the account.

There's one guy who got it done in a round about way before Dish blocked it in their system.

Can't be done.

Last edited:
There's one guy who got it done in a round about way before the Dish system blocked it in their system.

Can't be done.
That, I'll get behind. But I know I tryed on day one, and couldn't even get it then... And that was using every resource I had. Lol. Got shut down in the opening.

Dish will not allow more than 1 Hopper with a Super Joey, regardless of the order added.

There was only one forum member who managed to get such a configuration activated in the very first days of SJ release, and Dish quickly put a stop to it.

Dish will not allow more than 1 Hopper with a Super Joey, regardless of the order added.

There was only one forum member who managed to get such a configuration activated in the very first days of SJ release, and Dish quickly put a stop to it.
Please permit my ignorance, but why did Dish go down this road? Not permitting SJ's with multiple Hoppers..

I think the official word that came down here from Dish was hardware limitations. Of course we all know anything can be done, so my guess... To likely stop at the 6 allowable tuners, and force anyone else to get the hoppers for a more fluent system and pay more. That's just a guess though.

And bandwidth as well if we discussing for example going from a Two Hopper one Joey set up to a two Hoper one super joey set up

Dish limits the number of LEASED tuners by policy, but I believe that MOCA limitations prevent a SJ on multiple Hopper systems more than just a policy decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)