After 8 years, time to say goodbye to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That was the number one thing I noticed. Then they want to get rid of the shopping channels that actually lower price, by paying to be carried. I am confused by this theory.

Reactions: Scherrman
So they offered you more, then what they were paying for the channels, and what they are worth, and it was not good enough?

do not care what they were paying for the channels or what they are "worth". their "valuable customer service" proved not to have valuable in this situation. on the other hand, they went above and beyond during the amc ordeal.

A channel's worth always seems to change when you no longer have it. When customer are paying for these channels they are over priced but when they are missing a channel then it's worth a ton. The Turner channels we are currently missing are not worth $5 a month.

people are not shy to tell everyone on the interwebz what they were able to get out of dish because of this.

it just seems they will always offer more to new customers than their long time customers. this same old song and dance is tiresome. time to take a seat.

it just seems they will always offer more to new customers than their long time customers. this same old song and dance is tiresome. time to take a seat.
So, you think they are offering better Turner considerations to new customers than old? Well, they don't. Please don't confuse issues.

do not care what they were paying for the channels or what they are "worth". their "valuable customer service" proved not to have valuable in this situation. on the other hand, they went above and beyond during the amc ordeal.

people are not shy to tell everyone on the interwebz what they were able to get out of dish because of this.

I know it gets tiresome when they offer new customers the big discounts but unless you signed up over ten years ago you also received a nice discount when you signed up as a new customer. When AMC was pulled it was a bigger deal that affected Dish a lot. The Turner loss is not affecting Dish very much at all and it's not worth offering huge discounts because those channels are missing.

I know $5 for three months doesn't seem like much but they did also offer Showtime for free which is an even bigger savings, you just didn't want it. The only suggestion I have is to get to the retention department at Dish and see if they can offer you something better in order to keep you as a customer. The fist CSRs you talk to are limited with what they can offer you for discounts.

When AMC was pulled it was a bigger deal that affected Dish a lot. The Turner loss is not affecting Dish very much at all and it's not worth offering huge discounts because those channels are missing.

I know $5 for three months doesn't seem like much but they did also offer Showtime for free which is an even bigger savings, you just didn't want it. The only suggestion I have is to get to the retention department at Dish and see if they can offer you something better in order to keep you as a customer. The fist CSRs you talk to are limited with what they can offer you for discounts.

that is for sure. the amc battle had a huge outcry. this one can't even compare.

Retention will more than likely make a better offer, but csr roulette is not a game we are interested in. DIRT has been great, and was one of the key reasons we did not disconnect a while back.

A channel's worth always seems to change when you no longer have it. When customer are paying for these channels they are over priced but when they are missing a channel then it's worth a ton. The Turner channels we are currently missing are not worth $5 a month.
I think these channels are worth more then 5 dollars a month *tcm cartoon, boomerang, trutv, hln, cnn* they gave 20 dollars off for one month discount. I didn't want a discount I want the channels. Streaming packages varies. To me its worth more then 5 dollars a month I would say at least 15 dollars a month because I am use to certain channels and these are channels that I am use to.
Honestly tho, I do not really want to put a figure on it though, but if I had to they channels would be worth 12 dollars that is to me though.
I use to use newsgroups *yup* torrent, filesharing, various proggies and have been a dish customer on and off for at least 15 years.
Point is some channels would be worth alot to some people and jack shet* for others.
Channels I love in no particular order
OH I am not putting your comment on the spot its just that your comment is right on target, it makes alot of sense hehe.
ok channels i love
science channel, syfy, chiller, i love tcm*when we had it* boomerang
hbo showtime *dont watch it alot* but still have it
starz. history 1 and two id tv, hdnet movies *love encore for old movies*
natgeo
hmm lets see lifetime sometimes for unsolved mysteries, some new movies
love comedy, love tbs and definitely love tnt
nbatv when i watch basketball. see there are tons more. but to me these channels are worth having the americas everything package. *i also switch up on channels peace

Yep. Been there. No download link(s). I'm not that concerned, but I don't see downloading to my Tivo (or anything else) as an option for purchased content.
I hope you aren't expecting to find web links in your TiVo Your Video Library.

The other possibility is that your Instant Video download theory is bunk and the Premiere doesn't behave anything like you hoped that it would.

I get it. TBS is one of my most watched channels and if it goes that would suck but I know the cost of the channel and it's not $5 so I'm happy when they offer it to me. I love when they offer me movie channels for free too because I enjoy them but do not want to pay that much for them.

All I can say is this, if the discount you are offered right away is not enough then you need to threaten to cancel so you get passed on to the retention department. They have the ability to give bigger offers. Be prepared to have your bluff called though. I have seen before where Dish calls a person's bluff and they the cut off their service.

that's why you shouldn't be bluffing when you call in to cancel......lol

A friend of mine has DirecTV and he called to get some discounts. He threatened to cancel and they called his bluff and sent him boxes. He knew he screwed up but luckily the day after he canceled he got a call from the retention department and they gave him everything he asked for to keep him.

Well, back on my original topic, I got my Tivo yesterday. I yanked the antenna connection from my 622 and hooked it up to the Tivo and began setting up.
Set up tool a rather ridiculous long time. Like 3 hours "preparing" to download data. But it eventually came through. It rapidly found all the channels I was expecting (I guess the tuner isn't that bad, at least). This morning I did notice it was having trouble with my NBC affiliate (reception was in and out), but hopefully I can get that sorted, at least once I fix up my wiring so it loses the maze of splitters and diplexers I have.

Starting to set up recordings so I have a good backlog when Dish goes. The PQ seems OK, though the menus seems rather...dated. Almost SD. Still, seems like it is working so far.

I think these channels are worth more then 5 dollars a month *tcm cartoon, boomerang, trutv, hln, cnn* they gave 20 dollars off for one month discount. I didn't want a discount I want the channels. Streaming packages varies. To me its worth more then 5 dollars a month I would say at least 15 dollars a month because I am use to certain channels and these are channels that I am use to.
Honestly tho, I do not really want to put a figure on it though, but if I had to they channels would be worth 12 dollars that is to me though.
I use to use newsgroups *yup* torrent, filesharing, various proggies and have been a dish customer on and off for at least 15 years.
Point is some channels would be worth alot to some people and jack shet* for others.
Channels I love in no particular order
OH I am not putting your comment on the spot its just that your comment is right on target, it makes alot of sense hehe.
ok channels i love
science channel, syfy, chiller, i love tcm*when we had it* boomerang
hbo showtime *dont watch it alot* but still have it
starz. history 1 and two id tv, hdnet movies *love encore for old movies*
natgeo
hmm lets see lifetime sometimes for unsolved mysteries, some new movies
love comedy, love tbs and definitely love tnt
nbatv when i watch basketball. see there are tons more. but to me these channels are worth having the americas everything package. *i also switch up on channels peace
Unfortunately, what your personal value is, doesn't mean anything when the company has to do the cost benefit on what they will pay, and what they will receive in return. I'm sure people would pay more for their specific car, if they had to, but the company is not going to sell the same model car to anyone else, for half the value because they would drive it only half the time. There are actual dollar figures on these channels, and they are already offering more than they would be paying for them. Whether or not you watch the other channels, they still have to pay the other providers for you being subscribed to them. That is why it is irrelevant what the perceived value is, compared to actual cost. In his specific case, they even offered a $59 value over a three month period, and that is said not to be good enough, for something that might make up at the most(this is grossly overstated number too) $15 over that same three month period. Likely it is under $8 for all the channels over that 3 month period.

Well, back on my original topic, I got my Tivo yesterday. I yanked the antenna connection from my 622 and hooked it up to the Tivo and began setting up.
Set up tool a rather ridiculous long time. Like 3 hours "preparing" to download data. But it eventually came through. It rapidly found all the channels I was expecting (I guess the tuner isn't that bad, at least). This morning I did notice it was having trouble with my NBC affiliate (reception was in and out), but hopefully I can get that sorted, at least once I fix up my wiring so it loses the maze of splitters and diplexers I have.

Starting to set up recordings so I have a good backlog when Dish goes. The PQ seems OK, though the menus seems rather...dated. Almost SD. Still, seems like it is working so far.

The Roamio is much faster. On first update my base model only took about 20 minutes total to call home, get the update, and process it. Do you have HD menus turned on? If not, then all the menus will be SD. If HD menus are on, then only some will be in SD.

I hope you aren't expecting to find web links in your TiVo Your Video Library.

The other possibility is that your Instant Video download theory is bunk and the Premiere doesn't behave anything like you hoped that it would.

I was looking for the download links on amazon.com as suggested by another poster in this thread. I think the only thing I demonstrated is the new Amazon app for Roamio does not offer Amazon downloads like the old app for the Premier, at least not in a clearly documented way.

Unfortunately, what your personal value is, doesn't mean anything when the company has to do the cost benefit on what they will pay, and what they will receive in return. I'm sure people would pay more for their specific car, if they had to, but the company is not going to sell the same model car to anyone else, for half the value because they would drive it only half the time. There are actual dollar figures on these channels, and they are already offering more than they would be paying for them. Whether or not you watch the other channels, they still have to pay the other providers for you being subscribed to them. That is why it is irrelevant what the perceived value is, compared to actual cost. In his specific case, they even offered a $59 value over a three month period, and that is said not to be good enough, for something that might make up at the most(this is grossly overstated number too) $15 over that same three month period. Likely it is under $8 for all the channels over that 3 month period.

The only argument I can see here is not what the value is of the channels but what is the value of a customer to Dish. In this instance the customer feels that he is only worth $5 a month for 3 months to Dish and that is a slap to the face for him. I can understand this side of the argument if we just leave channels out altogether. If a customer tells Dish they are not happy and are willing to leave then Dish has to show that customer how much they are worth to them. I think I'm making some sense here. :)

Reactions: ChadT41
I get what you're saying, but is taking a loss of a customer worse then taking a loss of the programming. Both sides have to see which is more valuable to them. And it wasn't just $5 hey offered. They offered $18 per month when you calculate showtime in there.

After I installed the TiVo I called to cancel and they gave me $35 off a month for the next 6 month. I would have had a $20 early term fee so I'm waiting until next month. My bill with credits is $12 a month. I've been with them 14 years.

After I installed the TiVo I called to cancel and they gave me $35 off a month for the next 6 month. I would have had a $20 early term fee so I'm waiting until next month. My bill with credits is $12 a month. I've been with them 14 years.

yeah, that is incentive to stay. we have been with them almost 10 years. $5 a month was laughable. $35, we would at least stay until that expired.

yeah, that is incentive to stay. we have been with them almost 10 years. $5 a month was laughable. $35, we would at least stay until that expired.
they gave me $20 for the just the CNN thing but then I called back the next day to turn it off and they gave me the other $15. I was surprised.

Do you have HD menus turned on? If not, then all the menus will be SD. If HD menus are on, then only some will be in SD.

Good call. Looks much better. Didn't realize they had 2 menu choices.

Oh well, watched the (sadly disappointing) Doctor Who finale. Time to run the cancellation gauntlet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)