After nearly 19 years... is this the end of Dish for me?

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I've considered dropping Dish before, but only while I was mad at them. Both times the issues were resolved to my satisfaction, or more. I have no problem with the company itself.

About 15 years ago when my service went from $50 to $70 a month I said if the price of my service goes over 100 bucks a month, I'll cut back. I have, a little. But now with the latest not-so-insignificant price increases my level of service has reached just a hair under $200 bucks a month.

For perspective: $200 a month was about what my car payment was for my first and second new cars. And I owned them after 4 years. $200 a month will take care of my Bengals' season ticket AND my sister-in-law's AND a spare, plus parking, PLUS tailgate supplies for the season! $200 bucks a month will give me a darned good cruise every other year.

So... what is my alternative?
Drop the level of service? I considered that, but there is no level of service where I don't get a massive amount of bloatware and the few basic channels I do watch.

I'm a TV/Movie junkie. But I find myself watching mostly local channels lately. Most of the cable shows I liked have ended or will be ending this year and/or are available on Hulu for free eventually, or on the relatively cheap Hulu plus. Netflix is not a replacement for the premium channels, but Netflix + Hulu Plus + HBO Now + Channel Master DVR plus would come very close to replacing what I have now (and actually watch) and run about $40 a month, after the initial cost of the DVR (249-300 bucks.). I could even try to go without the DVR plus at first. That still leaves me with just under $160 a month in savings and I can watch just about every program I ever watched.

As of this moment, my ISP doesn't have (published) download caps, but I know that could change. I have plenty of bandwidth with my current plan so there would be no cost incurred there at the moment.

So talk me down! What am I overlooking with this possible change? I currently have a 622, 612, 211 (without DVR).
All my TVs are web enabled or have a Roku or web enabled BluRay player with the apps mentioned above.

With a deactivated Dish DVR, you might still be able to record OTA and Dish free preview channels if you keep the receiver hooked up to the satellites. That would save you the cost of the Channel Master DVR.

Cut down to the Welcome pack, Smart pack or America pack to save money. Then add back in HBO for $10.00. If you want add DISH movie pack for $5.00 -1/2 price. That might get you down on your programming price while keeping movies in the mix. I haven't had the 622 in years. I went with the 722 then 722k and then 922 -don't ask and then the hopper , and now the hopper with sling. I am now grandfathered at $12.00 dvr fee-for now ,but I pay $10.00 for a super joey and $7.00 for the joey for my 15 year old boy- who barely ever uses it.

The FEES have exploded with DISH and that is why I think the bill is way to high. It costs me $29.00 a month just to operate my system ,BEFORE programming is paid for. But the hopper records all 4 networks at night using one tuner -so no need for timers -unless you want to save a series.I only have top 200 -which will now go to $79.99 a month next bill. Add to the HBO for $10.00 and Movie pack for $5.00 and I am now up to $123.00 before tax. If I didn't have credits off my bill through May of this year , I would of already cut way down on my account. I think anytime my bill goes over $100.00 a month it is too high.

I have even thought about Tivo for ota only and getting FULL ota guide data for my sub channels that DISH won't provide. Most of the cable channels that we have in the programming packs show nothing but reruns from network tv -that we saw years ago. Along with that add reality crap tv shows to the mix and infomercials and we have what passes as Pay tv today. I too have thought about cutting it out, due to the yearly programming price increases and the increasing DISH fees. But I love DISH's new hopper/joey equipment and I've had DISH for 19 years this month and I feel like I have invested a lot of blood ,sweat, and tears with all the buggy equipment that came before it. Don't know if I will invest in the newest hopper 3 with 16 tuners, because it would mean a total reinstall of a dish with hybrid lnb, trade in my super joey , and then pay $15.00 for the hopper dvr fee ,but my fees would stay the same at $29.00 a month ,because I would go to a regular joey instead of super joey. The new receiver sounds great ,but there really isn't ever a need for me and my wife to record 16 shows or 20 shows at a time (with the ptat 4 networks and 1 ota tuner recording at a time). Especially since I have already said that there is rarely ever anything on but reruns , informercials and reality crap to choose from. I really find that I watch network tv and the ota subs channels more now days than the cable shows.

In the end I think the main reason why I have stayed with DISH is this website:Been a member since 03. If I didn't have others in this online community to talk to about my DISH system , complaints, etc, I would of gone a long time ago. Maybe that is why you feel conflicted as well. Misery loves company and in this instance you might be more miserable without DISH and this site to commiserate with than to cut the cord entirely. I just wish that DISH would allow more ala cart smaller programming packs so we could have more choices to choose from. But that is what SLING tv is about .

I've seriously considered it a few times over the years. I don't care what anybody says it is expensive.

Before pulling the trigger to cancel I would talk to retention. You could probably get some credits.

Scaling back to the smart pack or welcome pack is a good option also without cutting the cord completely. Many say there's nothing on those channels. That may well be true, but after being on it for a while you'll adjust your viewing habits. After a few months on 1 of those packages you won't miss the more expensive packages at all.

Cut back on the receivers also. Keep 1 receiver on the account and do away with the rest of them. Get a hdmi splitter and mirror your other tvs.

Reactions: pattykay
I can't really talk you down, as I am in same spot. I've been with Dish since year 2, but I will go to welcome pack or dish pause at end of month, now that football is over.

My Tivo Roamio's and Tivo Mini's work great for me. Locals with full guide data for all the channels including subchannels, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Plex all in one box. Tivo also has Pandora, Hulu Plus, MLB and a few other services too, that I don't use. I'm invested in Tivo now with 4 Lifetime Tivo Roamio's and 3 Tivo Mini's between my house, my lake house, my dad's house and the condo in Vegas.

I would read up on the Channelmaster DVR+ first at AVS. It seems to remain a fairly flaky dvr even after numerous firmware updates. I thought about going with the DVR+ after one of my Pal dvrs started acting up, but decided Tivo was the better direction, although this was before Tivo changed their pricing plans.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-100.html

If needed, I still have 2 Pal Dvrs as backup to the Tivo's, but after reading some of the complaints, I still haven't been able to bring myself to try the DVR+. I'm not a fan of the Rovi guide service either.

Reactions: TNGTony
I would read up on the Channelmaster DVR+ first at AVS. It seems to remain a fairly flaky dvr even after numerous firmware updates. I thought about going with the DVR+ after one of my Pal dvrs started acting up, but decided Tivo was the better direction, although this was before Tivo changed their pricing plans.
Thanks for the advice. I am shying away from Tivo because of the exorbitant monthy fee, or "lifetime" fee that follows the box, not the customer.
But I am still weighing all my options.

Before you totally kick DISH, do like others are saying. Call to cancel with the intent getting some credits and also cut down on your programming. Since you already have the set-up and you say you are a TV junkie.
This gives you a couple of months to see how it goes this way.
Also agree on over $100 being way too much for pay TV. More to life than just sitting in front of a TV all the time. :)

If you have just a few cable shows you want and can get them reasonably easily from Hulu, Amazon etc, AND if you get OTA reliably it could make sense to go that route. The upside is of course is alot of money saved, (Even if not quite as much as you might first think) and even if things don't work out after awhile (See downsides) you can always go back to DISH or a traditional service so trying it for at least awhile may have no downside? (Maybe loss of DISH recordings for some)

The possible downsides are the cost of a Tivo (or I suppose other) DVR and with Tivo the ongoing cost. Getting an OTA Roamio model (The least expensive) isn't quite so easy as they are no longer being made, and harder yet to get a lifetime one but it can be done. Then the question of internet caps, it's hard to tell if implemented how you would be affected. In addition will everyone in the house be able to or really want to go to different services to get the programs they want including probably needing to change inputs etc. For some it isn't a big deal, for others they just want to sit down, scroll through the guide or watch what was set up to record. The Tivo can search across OTA, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc for shows so that helps. Finally, and a little too early to know the outcome is investing in an OTA DVR. It appears that how OTA is broadcast is about to change again as it did from Analog to digital. There is a question as to there being any kind of converter, or if there is the problem the last converter had - changing channels meant changing the converter box making Tivo just about obsolete to record programs needing to switch channels.

I still have DISH for many of the downside reasons, plus we do watch quite alot of cable shows but I got a good deal on a Tivo OTA with lifetime, and added a Mini for the bedroom instead of another Dish receiver and I must say it works very well. In Florida I get about 33 channels, just about all the sub channels like Grit, Antenna TV, etc etc. This would not work well in Ct where since going digital OTA is very hit and miss, with alot of miss.

I pulled the plug on Dish. At first my wife missed some of the shows but very soon she was more than happy with the OTA lineup. Like someone said "It's just TV" and paying for it doesn't make it better TV or worth more.

If you have just a few cable shows you want and can get them reasonably easily from Hulu, Amazon etc, AND if you get OTA reliably it could make sense to go that route.
If I recall (from a thread in the OTA section) Tony can get both Cincy and Dayton just fine

The possible downsides are the cost of a Tivo (or I suppose other) DVR and with Tivo the ongoing cost. Getting an OTA Roamio model (The least expensive) isn't quite so easy as they are no longer being made, and harder yet to get a lifetime one but it can be done.
true. Amazon every now and then has them

Finally, and a little too early to know the outcome is investing in an OTA DVR. It appears that how OTA is broadcast is about to change again as it did from Analog to digital. There is a question as to there being any kind of converter, or if there is the problem the last converter had - changing channels meant changing the converter box making Tivo just about obsolete to record programs needing to switch channels.
I was just going to mention that. (the upcoming auction)

Reactions: Tampa8
Cut down to the Welcome pack, Smart pack or America pack to save money. Then add back in HBO for $10.00. If you want add DISH movie pack for $5.00 -1/2 price. That might get you down on your programming price while keeping movies in the mix. I haven't had the 622 in years. I went with the 722 then 722k and then 922 -don't ask and then the hopper , and now the hopper with sling. I am now grandfathered at $12.00 dvr fee-for now ,but I pay $10.00 for a super joey and $7.00 for the joey for my 15 year old boy- who barely ever uses it.

The FEES have exploded with DISH and that is why I think the bill is way to high. It costs me $29.00 a month just to operate my system ,BEFORE programming is paid for. But the hopper records all 4 networks at night using one tuner -so no need for timers -unless you want to save a series.I only have top 200 -which will now go to $79.99 a month next bill. Add to the HBO for $10.00 and Movie pack for $5.00 and I am now up to $123.00 before tax. If I didn't have credits off my bill through May of this year , I would of already cut way down on my account. I think anytime my bill goes over $100.00 a month it is too high.

I have even thought about Tivo for ota only and getting FULL ota guide data for my sub channels that DISH won't provide. Most of the cable channels that we have in the programming packs show nothing but reruns from network tv -that we saw years ago. Along with that add reality crap tv shows to the mix and infomercials and we have what passes as Pay tv today. I too have thought about cutting it out, due to the yearly programming price increases and the increasing DISH fees. But I love DISH's new hopper/joey equipment and I've had DISH for 19 years this month and I feel like I have invested a lot of blood ,sweat, and tears with all the buggy equipment that came before it. Don't know if I will invest in the newest hopper 3 with 16 tuners, because it would mean a total reinstall of a dish with hybrid lnb, trade in my super joey , and then pay $15.00 for the hopper dvr fee ,but my fees would stay the same at $29.00 a month ,because I would go to a regular joey instead of super joey. The new receiver sounds great ,but there really isn't ever a need for me and my wife to record 16 shows or 20 shows at a time (with the ptat 4 networks and 1 ota tuner recording at a time). Especially since I have already said that there is rarely ever anything on but reruns , informercials and reality crap to choose from. I really find that I watch network tv and the ota subs channels more now days than the cable shows.

In the end I think the main reason why I have stayed with DISH is this website:Been a member since 03. If I didn't have others in this online community to talk to about my DISH system , complaints, etc, I would of gone a long time ago. Maybe that is why you feel conflicted as well. Misery loves company and in this instance you might be more miserable without DISH and this site to commiserate with than to cut the cord entirely. I just wish that DISH would allow more ala cart smaller programming packs so we could have more choices to choose from. But that is what SLING tv is about .
$29 dollars in fees is cheap.

My system with Cable was $51 with my 5 rooms Tivo system.
Roamio Plus ,4 minis
Directv was $50 with Genie HR23,24,C31,C31.

Dish is $33 for 2 Hoppers 2 Joeys and 211z for the next 20 months
And $45 after .

The competitions fees are worse.
So we should keep that in mind when it comes to comparing fees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: dare2be and Tampa8
It appears that how OTA is broadcast is about to change again as it did from Analog to digital. There is a question as to there being any kind of converter, or if there is the problem the last converter had - changing channels meant changing the converter box making Tivo just about obsolete to record programs needing to switch channels.

Thanks... last I read we are about 2 years away from even finalizing an ATSC-3 standard, and an undetermined amount of years before the switch-over. I look at it the same way I did in the early 90s with the Digital switch-over. No worries there.

Folks, I really appreciate the advice!

Reactions: Tampa8