After nearly 19 years... is this the end of Dish for me?

Huh ? Did I miss the part where he said he was leaving this site ?

I think it is a fear that someone who no longer has satellite TV might lose some of his enthusiasm for a forum dedicated to that. The earlier poster just tried to let him know he would be missed if it came to that.

Though a Falcons fan, I am even a bigger fan of my beloved Georgia Bulldogs and so rooted for Cincinnati and AJ Green. Jumped for joy when AJ connected with AJ for the "winning" touchdown. What a stunning (and stupid) collapse. You have my utmost sympathies.

PS...we "met" many years ago on alt.dbs....newsgroup.

Cinncy blew that game. Lacking discipline. It's a shame the way that game went. Go Steelers!

My OTA is horrible - I'm just too deep in the mountains to get good OTA so I'm stuck with dish mainly for sports. If it wasn't for CFB I would have turned it off but well the ole lady also likes her shows and it keeps her busy and out of my hair for me to do my own thing. We have movie channels like HBO,Starz and Epix mainly cause well I watch movies but I'm considering dumping those.

Then they go and release Hopper3 lol I'm amazed at the options you get with that thing with 4K and all the tuners that it may be wise to dump my other hopper as I have two, go with the hopper3 alone and 1 joey to offset the increases.

Issue is here once again we are going to see a $5 increase across the board - its just too much too fast over and over...what happened to the $2 increases that were expected once a year?? You call and complain and threaten to leave but you get credits for a set period of time, if they would lock you in period then awesome otherwise that isn't even worth the phone call as they will get you later down the road.

So there you have it, if I had good OTA as in the middle of a large city I'd prob have moved on by now, but as it stands just can't do it even without the new equipment.

How long ago was it that satellite offered a lower-cost alternative to cable?

Now that the cablecos bundle TV, internet and phone, you're looking at the cost of all three services holistically. AT&T adds wireless service to the picture. How long before other major expenses, such as car payments and insurance, get added as well? Will Comcast buy a supermarket chain? Exxon buy Dish?

With a deactivated Dish DVR, you might still be able to record OTA and Dish free preview channels if you keep the receiver hooked up to the satellites.
I have tried several model DVRs (but not the 211 with an EHD) and none of them will tune OTA without being active, much less have any of the DVR functionality. If it does work with any modern DISH DVRs, it would be extraordinary.

Now that the cablecos bundle TV, internet and phone, you're looking at the cost of all three services holistically. AT&T adds wireless service to the picture. How long before other major expenses, such as car payments and insurance, get added as well? Will Comcast buy a supermarket chain? Exxon buy Dish?
To be fair to Dish,
1) I cannot find a cable option in my area where the equipment is even close in capability, reliability and intuitive ease of use as Dish. I work for a TV station that is distributed on the two "cable" outlets in this city and am familiar with both sets of receivers available. One company's receivers are just plain clunky! The other now comes close, but has a $15 a month fee!!!!! -it's still slower and crashes a lot!
2) If I get cable service with all the channels I get on Dish (not that I watch them all, but an apples to apples comparison) with equipment fees, franchise fee and community service fee vs Dish with equipment fee and Ohio Tax, Dish beats the local competition by AT LEAST $20 a month EVEN after bundling.

I pulled the plug on Dish. At first my wife missed some of the shows but very soon she was more than happy with the OTA lineup.
This works for a while but when the broadcast networks start jacking the seasons around with recaps and mid-season breaks, it all gets very tiresome.

I'm also not down with calling a 6-8 show run a "season" as seems to be the case with some Netflix and Amazon originals.

This works for a while but when the broadcast networks start jacking the seasons around with recaps and mid-season breaks, it all gets very tiresome.

I'm also not down with calling a 6-8 show run a "season" as seems to be the case with some Netflix and Amazon originals.
Well my wife is satisfied with the OTA stuff, but I also have a full blown FTA C/Ku setup which fills my needs very well ;)

Reactions: stardust3
You can do what I am doing, I went on pause to see if I really missed DISH. I've got about 5 months more before I have to separate and 3-4 programs I want to record off the hard drive. Not a DISH problem just too little program content for the monthly subscription cost, especially with sports not being important. PBS is much more my type of programming than ESPN is, what a difference in programming costs.

Can you tell me more about the "pause" mode? Is this the $5/month state the CSR told me about today?

She said I can do it for 3, 6, or 9 months but can resume service at any time.

According to her, I would NOT have access to recorded content on the internal drive or EHD. But I've seen info that suggests this is not true.

I have one foot out the door to FIOS - I've got my cablecard and Tivo Bolt already set up with the the Local TV package and expect to upgrade to Preferred today.

But we've got a LOT of recorded content and if I could access it for $5/month, I'd do that for as long as necessary. (Summer would be a good time for family to watch some of that huge mass of content.)

Can you tell me more about the "pause" mode? Is this the $5/month state the CSR told me about today?
yes
She said I can do it for 3, 6, or 9 months but can resume service at any time.
I thought it was up to 6 months max

According to her, I would NOT have access to recorded content on the internal drive or EHD. But I've seen info that suggests this is not true.
internal drive you should. External not so much

I have tried several model DVRs (but not the 211 with an EHD) and none of them will tune OTA without being active, much less have any of the DVR functionality. If it does work with any modern DISH DVRs, it would be extraordinary.
Well, like I said, I have done this with two ViP722k's. Besides keeping the Dish account active with a different receiver, the only other reason I can think of for why they still work when deactivated is because they both used to be activated for All American Direct. I suppose it is possible that when they went out of business, they never sent a deauthorization signal to the receivers. They simply yanked the channels off of the satellites. Thus, my receivers are still "activated" for a service that no longer exists. The last time I checked, the external hard drive functionality still worked. (I know that is not supposed to happen with a deactivated receiver.)

Your premise is wrong for many markets if you are talking about DISH, maybe more on target for Directv. I can't get a better deal bundled with Charter in Ct than DISH and their internet separate, and a separate VOIP provider. And that's not even including the equipment being years ahead with DISH.

My wife and I dropped Dish over a year ago, and we are satisfied with the results. We have a Tivo Roamio OTA and 2 Minis. This replaced our original Hopper and Joey setup. We watch local channels, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. We had both Amazon and Netflix when we had Dish, so the real change was in what we were paying for programming. I had (approximate) up-front costs of:

$50 - Tivo
$100 - 3TB HDD Upgrade
$100 - Clearstream 2v Antenna
$250 - Tivo Minis
-------
$500 - Total

On-going costs are $15/month for the Tivo service. I know a lot of people hate this fee, but really, what are you paying for a Cable or Satellite whole-home DVR? Compared to what my Dish bill was before I dropped it, I am paying $45 less per month. That means my initial investment paid for itself in just over 11 months.

The important consideration is that we still have plenty to watch. Perhaps if I had won the Powerball, or I had tons of time on my hands, I might need more things to entertain me, but at this point in my life, where I watch an hour or 2 per day, it really isn't necessary.

With all that said, if I was to subscribe to a satellite or cable service, Dish would be my choice, and it would be my recommendation to anyone considering such a service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)