Age of Voom Subscriber's II

devildogg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
So, what did this poll tell us? Hopefully someone from Voom will also look at it. I often wondered why the Cinema 10 have been met with such venom. I’m 56 yrs old and I like the choices of the older movies. Looking at the poll I’m in the minority only 18.4% over 50.

With 55% of the 125 responses under the age of 40. Voom needs to take a hard look at their movie choices. No I’m not advocating reducing the number of Cinema channels. However, I believe they need to add more up to date movies.

Now I can see why there are so many post saying “I’m Dumping Voom because the only channels that are any good are Rave and Rush HD” because most of you young folk don’t care for old movies.

If there are any statistics expert here maybe they can tell us more.

Thanks for Voting…now do it again in November!

Regards….

They need to add more classic movies in HD IMO. Patton, Tora, Tora, Tora, Big Red One, Short Circut. Goonies would be another good one. I enjoy the movies on Cinema 10. The Towering Inferno is funny 30yrs later. Oh BTW I'm only 28

Old movies ain't the problem. Old movies that weren't very good to begin with are. I mean look at most movies out in the cineplex now. Would people want to watch them 20, 30 yrs from now, except out of nostalgia? Probably not.

barth2k said:
Old movies ain't the problem. Old movies that weren't very good to begin with are. I mean look at most movies out in the cineplex now. Would people want to watch them 20, 30 yrs from now, except out of nostalgia? Probably not.
Look at the current up to date movies on the premium channels... I mean look at HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Encore and the Movie Channel... Will people want to watch these newer movies in 20 to 30 years from now (I think not), or the old movies you're complaining about now... they make more crappy movies now than ever, sure their are some (but very few) movies now that I would probably want to watch in 20 to 30 years... but, being 49, I don't think I'll worry too much about that...

devildogg said:
So, what did this poll tell us? Hopefully someone from Voom will also look at it. I often wondered why the Cinema 10 have been met with such venom. I’m 56 yrs old and I like the choices of the older movies. Looking at the poll I’m in the minority only 18.4% over 50.

With 55% of the 125 responses under the age of 40. Voom needs to take a hard look at their movie choices. No I’m not advocating reducing the number of Cinema channels. However, I believe they need to add more up to date movies.

Now I can see why there are so many post saying “I’m Dumping Voom because the only channels that are any good are Rave and Rush HD” because most of you young folk don’t care for old movies.

If there are any statistics expert here maybe they can tell us more.

Thanks for Voting…now do it again in November!

Regards….

I don't think voom should change their marketing strategy based on 125 hits to a survey. If I recall correctly, they asked my age when I signed up. I imagine they know their market pretty well.

I actually prefer they don't go for the mainstream movie approach; Nothing "exclusive" about playing the top 100 movies again and again. The premium channels have that covered. If they try to compete with that group, they won't go far. Instead they have created their own "niche", IMO.

The ones who complain are probably not subscribed to the premiums, and the expect voom's cinema10 to fill the void. I don't think that was the original intention, nor do I think it will happen anytime soon.

Another consideration in your poll is the fact that the internet (and specifically this forum) is more widely accepted among the younger generations. That may skew the results, too.

I did enjoy the poll. :)

Hey, I'm 27 and my favorite movie of all time is Dr. Strangelove. Good movies are good movies, and that's what Voom needs to add. We were just given The Magnificent Seven, Hard Days Night, and will soon get 2/3 of the "Man with No Name" trilogy.

Remember, these 20-40 year old Voomers are not "average" members of their age group. Please don't confuse our tastes with the rest of our generation's. Many of are just as perplexed by the stardom of Ashton Kutcher as you are :confused:

Originally Posted by squicken
Many of are just as perplexed by the stardom of Ashton Kutcher as you are

i dont get him either, but how about his co-star in That 70's show (saw 2 taped episodes in LA FREE ty FOX) MILA KUNIS, aint she a hottie, hope she does more movies did ya see her in American Psycho 2: All American Girl (2002), blew away anything hes done

MR>C?

Attachments

• milakunis.jpg
    milakunis.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 192
I am 37 and love the classic movies. I agree about transferring good movies to HD. However, the licensing of the HD transfer may be packaged with other movies which to some of us do not like. Just like the same deal with packaging HBO-HD and HBO-SD. So there may not be way out of licensing some bad movies if they are packaged with the good ones. Just a thought and opinion.

This would not be an issue if TMC or AMC would go HD. Doesn't Cablevision own AMC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)