Aiming dish? Transponders different signal strength/quality?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdtv_md

Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Newbie question here!

I'm aiming my dish at 101W AMC4 and noticed that I get a signal strength and quality in the 50s/10s on certain transponder frequencies, but on others, I get 75/75. Is that normal?

So, when aiming an FTA dish, do I need to aim with the proper transponder frequency set on my receiver? I don't have a signal monitor.

I thought as long as I pointed the dish to the right satellite that I would be able to get everything being transmitted off that satellite. Thanks!

That is normal, you can think of a satellite as a chandelier far away with some bulbs that are brighter than other ones. :)

Normally it is a good idea to use a strong transponder to get you on the right satellite and then use a weaker transponder on the satellite to peak the signal the best that you can.

You should be able to get everything off the satellite as long as your dish is well pointed and large enough for your area.

Your receiver must be set to an active transponder or you won't see any quality at all, even if you're dead on aimed at the satellite. That's why it is a good idea to blind scan and see what comes up when you are aiming a dish and feel you are on a satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)