Aiming my BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I am having some probs in aiming my BUD. I have the pole perfectly plumb, and am able to "see" almost the whole clarke belt, from 72w to 135w with no LOS issues. Here is what is happening. When i aim the dish for true south, i get from AMC 6 (true south sat) to anik f1. To get the westermost sats, from anik f1 to amc 10 i have to rotate the mount on the pole approx 3/8" clockwise. does this sound like i am not getting the mount perfectly plumb, or does this sound more like elevation / declination being off?

I picked up this dish used from a person who lives about 25 miles from me as the crow flies. When i picked up the dish he told me he could only "see" 3 satellites. Now i didnt do a site survey at his location, so i dont know if there were LOS issues or if this dish just wasnt properly aimed with the correct elevation and declination.

What do you folks think?

BUD aiming

drhydro said:
I am having some probs in aiming my BUD. I have the pole perfectly plumb, and am able to "see" almost the whole clarke belt, from 72w to 135w with no LOS issues. Here is what is happening. When i aim the dish for true south, i get from AMC 6 (true south sat) to anik f1. To get the westermost sats, from anik f1 to amc 10 i have to rotate the mount on the pole approx 3/8" clockwise. does this sound like i am not getting the mount perfectly plumb, or does this sound more like elevation / declination being off?

I picked up this dish used from a person who lives about 25 miles from me as the crow flies. When i picked up the dish he told me he could only "see" 3 satellites. Now i didnt do a site survey at his location, so i dont know if there were LOS issues or if this dish just wasnt properly aimed with the correct elevation and declination.

What do you folks think?
Sound like you need to tweak the aim a little more to get all of the satellites. If you spend a little time with it you should be able to get all of the satellites tuned in.

bryansr

I would suspect a slight movement of declination adjustment, the dish probably was never aligned correctly at it's original location.

i suspect you are right boba, that is what i will be checking on my day off (sunday).

ok i just re-read the info at this link
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor797917
According to the graphic at the bottom of the page, what i am seeing is that my elevation is too high, and that currently i have the mount pointed to far to the east. so in those famous last words "Simple enough to fix" I'll keep ya all posted as to what exactly i find on sunday.

Just a quick update,
Yesterday i went out and played with reaiming my BUD. I dropped the elevation and moved the mount more westward. I am now able to get everything from AMC 6 (72 w) to AMC 10 (135 w), without moving my mount :D I still have some more fine tuning to do cause i see sparklies on channels on the westernmost sats, but i know i am very close.

You might be getting ground interference on the lower sats. If your receiver has the setting, turn on the ground interference filter.

hi mkm,
i was actually getting in some of the lower sats pretty good, with just minimal "sparklies", but in realigning my dish they got much worse. Turning on the ground interference filter did not help at all. I think my main problem is i am still out of alignment just a tad. Also my LNBA is about 12 years old and is rated at ~50 degrees, time for a new LNB soon ;)

mkm4 said:
You might be getting ground interference on the lower sats. If your receiver has the setting, turn on the ground interference filter.
Do you mean TI filter(terrestrial interference) that usually came from microwave towers. :D

Ok, im very close to having this BUD "dialed in". Yesterday i went out and moved the mount more to the west and lowered elevation some more. What my problem now is that from amc 6 to amc 11 the elevation needs to be dropped, but at the very lowest sats (galaxy 1r to amc 8) elevation needs to be raised. Does this mean i have to move the mount just a fraction more to the west?
Thanks in advance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts