aiming the dish please help

meat321

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hello Im new to dish this is my first system got it from a friend who upgraded to dtv but it still has a month of service on it would like to use it. Now for the problem I got the dish up and the coax run then did the aiming ok i have a 125 % sinal on 110 but cant get 119 to lock just says wrong sat ecostar 110. This is a dish 500 legacy twin setup (I did my homework before posting) I've tryed to realign the dish all directings but get nothing from 119 please advise. Oh yea my zip is 55051. I've done dtv for the last 8 years since they started but this is a new world for me hitting to sats is kind of a b@#ch. thanks for the help in advance

Damn...you just a little bit up the road from me (well, hour and a half or so) :)

Easiest thing to do
-unhook cable and run check switch to clear everything out
-if your looking from behind the dish, cover the right "eye" with tinfoil. This way you will only be looking for 119 :)

-make sure elevation, azimuth, and skew are right (you cvan get this off the install screen)

Once you hit 119, remove the tinfoil and run check switch. If the skew is right, you shouldn't have any issues getting both.

I get 33.3 for elevation and 109.4 for skew (the one on the left should be higher...again looking from behind) for your area.

Ok now im confused if I have to cover one side and they are not connected am I missing a piece that connects the 2. Another friend has dish and he has a piece that the lnbs hook to prior to entering the house

Ok sorry about the dumb question there I figured out the switch is built in. Now the fun part, I cover the right side and it changes nothing. but i cover the left side or 119 and i lose signal this makes sense to why the receiver says wrong sat but now I have to figure out why this happened

meat321 said:
Ok sorry about the dumb question there I figured out the switch is built in. Now the fun part, I cover the right side and it changes nothing. but i cover the left side or 119 and i lose signal this makes sense to why the receiver says wrong sat but now I have to figure out why this happened

If i where you, i would get dish to install the thing, without the right tools you can drive yourself mad trying to install a d500, but when you get so frustrated you are just about to pull you hair out just think about trying to install a superdish, looking at three sats.

richmondr
jdpower #1 csr

I have the equipment Im out side with a sat finder and the laptop hooked up to the thing. like I said before I've done dtv for 8 years and the only difference with dish is the twin sats. I've even done directway which is a send and receive. Im just wondering if this thing is broke

meat321 said:
I have the equipment Im out side with a sat finder and the laptop hooked up to the thing. like I said before I've done dtv for 8 years and the only difference with dish is the twin sats. I've even done directway which is a send and receive. Im just wondering if this thing is broke

nope don't think so, it's just extremely hard to find both

it isnt that hard to find both

Is the elevation and skew set right? If it is, then you may have to drop the elevation a little bit

Well from looking at it i had to raise the ele but I think im getting closer. I finally figured out that I was getting the 110 with the 119 cause the ele and skew had to be fine tuned to this area as always thanks

Ok now it finally works wow what a pain in the butt.
thanks for all the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts