aiming the dish

56downsouth

Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
mississippi
With the aid of a small TV and HD receiver powered up next to my 1000.2 dish which is on a post in my back yard I was able to acquire a locked in signal in about 60 seconds. The prior day I tried for about 90 minutes listening to my TV thru a window for a tone change and got nothing for my efforts except bug bites (you may have better luck with a helper, I was working by myself)

Two factors I picked up reading the forums was:
the use of the TV.
aiming the middle of the bracket that holds the dish to the mounting post as your reference point for the compass heading.

So, forget the meter, borrow a small TV. I understand this advice is not for professionals or serious amatures but it worked nicely for this one time install.

A couple of other points:
The settings (azimuth,skew and elevation) were all different by a couple
of points from the settings provided by the zip code tables
in the manual. The numbers I used were provided by the local retailer
where I purchased my dish. His numbers were pretty much spot on.

I was able to get a reading of 75 on satellites 110 and 119, a reading of approximately 55 on satellite 129. These numbers were adequate to get all the HD channels I subscriber to. Tune in satellite 119 on transponder 11 first and then try tweaking the compass heading a little to tune in satellite 129.

You can do it, I did. Read around on the forums and most of your questions have already been answered. The TV next to the dish is the way to go for the amatures amoung us. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)