Aircraft/ATC comms via Satellites

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
brandon said:
I understand this is possible down in Australia according to this site.
http://www.satdirectory.com/--atcviasat.html
He is able to pick up all the ATIS, Airport, and even HF frequencies right from the Optus B1 satellite. Very cool!!!

Now the big question is do any North American satellites carry similar traffic?

A Satellite used to not be required (a simple scanner would work). I havent done this in years though soI dont know the frequencies or if its encrypted now. I wouldnt think so but like I said I havent listened to any of it in probably ten years now. There used to be a magazine called monitoring times which had articles on listening to ATC from time to time.

brandon in the US they also use satellite to relay airtraffic infomation to other centers ,it's part of the airtraffic managment systeem but you will not find info on this as the equipment is different and private. what concernce the radar info you see its ADS-B this is an experimental radar which is being test only in australia we call it cheap radar as the price tag for this is less then half of a normal asr9 radar and you don't use conventional radar antenna. so no more radar sweep so that the track of the aircraft is more steady.

Last edited:
ref party you can receiver airtraffic frequence in your area by scanner in the 108 mhz range and up this also include ATIS,VOR DME,ILSDME AND AIRCRAFT if they have them in your area, atis is Automatic Terminal Information Service all info regarding your airport.

Last edited:
122.8 mhz is unicom, try listening to that and see if you get anything,

Hi,

I do listen to aircraft on the normal airband (118-136 MHz) with my scanner. It appears in Australia you can pick up any airport (even ones far away) since they simulcast their signals to a satellite.

Here you can listen to his feed with Winamp
http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/au_sat.m3u
Notice the comms are in FM where as the normal aircraft band (118-136) is AM.
I would be really excited to hear HF SSB communications in clear FM... haha :)

I may have to do some experimenting as I don't even know if it's possible here or not. That would be awesome to hear all the US airports like they do in Oz.

iafirebuff said:
Monitoring Times is still around, and very usefull! I listen to aircraft years ago with a Yaesu FRG-9600 and a discone antenna.

I figured they were I just havent subscribed in a few years. They were extremely useful (and the articles were kind of neat also). It is amazing what you can hear with a scanner. Used to listen to aircraft all the time using an old realistic base scanner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)