Al Jazeera and Blaze

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I’m extremely UNHAPPY that this propaganda channel (and Blaze) are on my channel line up and that I am being charged for these channels. One way or the other, money is coming from ME to subsidize these channels that I object to in terms that I can’t post here. I want a reduction in my monthly charges and the removal of these two channels from my selection. I did not ask for these channels, I would never subscribe to these channels, I do not want these channels, I will not watch these channels and I refuse to support these channels.

?What are my options? There should be a law against this. WTH is Dish even thinking??? :mad:

Options to have your voice heard: cancel service, or drop service to a level that does not include the channels.

Yet another good reason for a la carte.

What is Dish thinking. That they want to keep BEiN Sports which is owned by the same company as Al Jazeera America and that they want to get subscribers that can only get Blaze on Dish. It is an exclusive AFAIK.

BTW, to equate The Blaze to a News Channel is a bit of a stretch in my mind.

Anyway, those posting on this topic, please keep politics out of it. If you want to discuss the politics of these channels, the place to talk about that is in The Pit here at Satelliteguys.

Only way to have your voice heard is to cancel service. That, or drop service to a level that does not include the channels.

Yet another good reason for a la carte.

Anyway, those posting on this topic, please keep politics out of it. If you want to discuss the politics of these channels, the place to talk about that is in The Pit here at Satelliteguys.

I wasn’t trying to make it political, I was just stating that I object to the channels and am looking for advice as to how to approach dish about it.

?Thanks..

I understand. I know your post is not political. That was meant for those that may wish to comment on the topic.

I understand your objections. I personally object to about two dozen channels on the line-up I pay for, but without a la carte there is no recourse.

BTW, I edited my original post before I saw you already responded.

I understand. I know your post is not political. That was meant for those that may wish to comment on the topic.

I understand your objections. I personally object to about two dozen channels on the line-up I pay for, but without a la carte there is no recourse.

BTW, I edited my original post before I saw you already responded.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :mad:

I too object to quite a few channels, not just the two. If I had my druthers my bill would be a lot lower because I hate to subsidize channels that I find offensive or just plain useless garbage. I’m paying just under $102 a month and I watch more FTA & OTA than I do Dish. They have it set up so that to get ONE good channel you have to subscribe to the upper tiers. And a lot of channels that were once GOOD channels are now garbage. The “Science” channel is now the Syence Channel. NatGeo is totally down the toilet now. EVERYONE has gone to scripted, redneck trailer trash, reality shows. :mad:

It’s hard to catch anything worth watching on TV anymore..

?Thank goodness for MeTV !!

Fully agree with that post #5 Dee_Ann. I went from watching a whole lot of NatGeo and Science Channel to none. What is with programmers and idiotic reality shows? If it actually makes more money (by drawing more viewers) for a channel than education, I guess we should be appalled at our fellow Americans' mental condition.

At least NOVA and Nature are still on PBS...

Last edited:
While I am not a fan of Glen Beck or Fox News, I for one am glad for the political diversity Dish has put in it's lineup. There are times when I will switch over to Fox to see how they are spinning a certain topic or what the gang on BeckTV is throwing out. As far as Al Jazeera America goes, from what I have seen on there so far, the most objectionable thing so far is the SD version of the channel.
While my political leanings are to the left, I am glad Dish is willing to supply us with the options of the other sides view. Sometimes it's helpful.
My best suggestion. If you don't want to accidently see those channels, then block them. But while you object to Beck or Al Jazeera, there is someone out there who objects to some of the channels you want but have to pay for as well.

Fully agree with that post #5 Dee_Ann. I went from watching a whole lot of NatGeo and Science Channel to none. What is with programmers and idiotic reality shows? If it actually makes more money (by drawing more viewers) for a channel than education, I guess we should be appalled at our fellow Americans' mental condition.

At least NOVA and Nature are still on PBS...
Do the movies Idiocracy or Religulous come to mind? :D

AJ America is a great channel so far and excellent reporting. I just wish it was in HD. Glad this channel is on, glad Current is gone.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I hate subsidizing sports, yet people like you keep telling me to suck it up.

I agree with you there. Everyone pays for channels they don't want. The only options are to get used to it or cut the cord and turn to services like iTunes, Amazon, and Netflix.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! :mad:

EVERYONE has gone to scripted, redneck trailer trash, reality shows. :mad:

It's hard to catch anything worth watching on TV anymore..

Amen Sister, when TLC (The Learning Channel???) features Honey Boo-Boo it makes me ask "What am I doing in this hand-basket and where are we going?".

This thread is no different than the ones complaining about sports channels. There are plenty of people the like both channels mentioned and Dish adds them to keep customers happy. If you do not like the channels you can skip them, change your package or just cancel. These channels were added recently and no one's bill has increased do to them so there is no reason to complain about paying for them.

I know some people are very opinionated about certain channels and what they represent but who cares about them. Providers try to put packages together that include channels that pertain to a variety of channels. No matter what you will have channels you do not watch or even like, just ignore them. Having them or not is not going to reflect on your billing.

It's very possible since some of the most popular programs are the ones you all don't seem to like, are actually the programs subsidizing the programming that less people are watching.....

what I find ironic is when Dee originally wanted Dish it was due to History channel being scrambled on FTA and didnt want to spend alot of money
(yet she has almost the top package)

To the OP,

Give us a list of the channels that you don't like so they can all be removed from Dish. We don't want to inconvenience you by having you hide the channels in your EPG.

This is essentially an a la carte issue. There are many channels I don't want to subsidize, yet, like you, I am forced to if I want any channels at all. I don't want any propaganda channels like Fox News or MSNBC either. I don't want any sports channels, which probably cost all of us $10/month whether we watch them or not. I don't want any shopping channels, religious channels or reality TV channels either. But until service providers allow a la carte across the board, we will have to continue to pay for things we don't want. I pay taxes for things I oppose or never benefit from. I pay for packages of features on my car, when I only want one feature out of the whole group. The list goes on.

That said, I think we should all continue to complain loudly until the situation changes.

Anyone who subs toa package gets more channels than they watch---and likely some hat they just do not care for. DISH and the other providers could not possibly respect everyone's wishes. After all while you think AL Jazeera is propaganda others have said that tehy think it is worthwhile. I see little to nothing on Blaze that I agree with but it is a favorite channel for some.

All you can really do is tell DISH what you think and start shopping for a package from them or someone else that is more to your liking. In the end you are not "forced' to subsidize anything.

Some people better open their minds because you are not the consumer you are actually the product, that's right, despite what you think, your understanding about the world is wrong, you are in fact the commodity for sale. The provider makes money for distribution from both sides. Some channels pay a provider for carriage in exchange for ad time during the commercial breaks either inserted on that provider or distributed nationally on all providers. You are none the wiser either. If a channel is in a certain package that is because they want access to you for their advertisers.

So you may not like the content of one channel, but that does not matter because that ad will still find you on another station so watch out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)