Al Jazeera English live on Wed.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can anyone view this channel on Pas 9 C? All I get is a black screen and am thinking it is encrypted. Not a disaster since we have IA-5 Ku but disappointing nonetheless.

Al Jazeera English is coming in fine at 3840V. The original Al Jazeera at 4120V is encrypted as usual.

ABC News just reported that Al Jazeera is not available by cable or satellite in North America, only way to watch it is by internet. ;) but we know better

According to Lyngsat programming packages on Echo9, Dish Network already carries Al Jazeera. I thought it might be non-English, but when I went to Dish's online guide and clicked on one of the program links is said "Color, English".

Perhaps it's not the real Al Jazeera that's being mentioned here. :confused:

Al Jazeera English is coming in fine at 3840V. The original Al Jazeera at 4120V is encrypted as usual.

hmmmmm...... A blind scan on my Pansat 3500 picks it up at 3840V pids 1860/1820/1860. But I get a black screen!??! Are my PID's right? they match Lyngsat. Signal strength is good.

This is driving me crazy. I'll have to try my other receivers.

According to Lyngsat programming packages on Echo9, Dish Network already carries Al Jazeera. I thought it might be non-English, but when I went to Dish's online guide and clicked on one of the program links is said "Color, English".

Perhaps it's not the real Al Jazeera that's being mentioned here. :confused:

Dish Network carries the original Al Jazeera (the arabic version). This is a different channel than the Arabic version

Dish wanted to bunch this with the Arabic package (smart thinking Dish...bundle a English channel with an Arabic package) so thats why it isnt on Dish (AJ English)

I'll probably look around for it on IA5 with a new blind scan in the near future. I've been sitting on 30w for a while.

Glad to hear that it's fair and balanced like Russia Today. Nice to hear that it's not crazy like that Al-Manar that the HDNET guy was showing several months back... Don't know if any of you all saw that. I saw it, but didn't understand a word of it, just a bunch of cooks running around yelling loudly making weird gestures like they were out of their mind.

I'm picking it up on IA13c, I can't find it on Pas9c for some reason.

hmmmmm...... A blind scan on my Pansat 3500 picks it up at 3840V pids 1860/1820/1860. But I get a black screen!??! Are my PID's right? they match Lyngsat. Signal strength is good.

This is driving me crazy. I'll have to try my other receivers.

Your pids are correct.

Can you see any other channels in the mux? Some are encrypted, some FTA.

Last edited:
Yanked by yanks
Comcast backs away from Arab net
By ALI JAAFAR

LONDON -- Al-Jazeera Intl. has all but conceded defeat in its effort to gain U.S. distribution in time for its worldwide launch Wednesday.
Execs at the nascent English-language offshoot of the Arab broadcaster said Comcast Communications pulled the plug on talks Monday on a deal the net considered essential to gaining a beachhead in the U.S.

The Associated Press last week reported Comcast had pulled out of talks but, in fact, negotiations continued, with Comcast offering to roll out the channel regionally. Comcast is the dominant operator in the Detroit area, which has one of the nation's largest Arab-American populations.

[...]
"We thought we were just awaiting signatures. We feel like we've been led down the garden path. It's a setback for us in the States, but I don't want this to overshadow the fact we've had phenomenal figures in the rest of the world," said one AJI employee who insisted on anonymity.

...continued at: http://tinyurl.com/yf2k3v

Background on Comcrap:

Why is cable ownership an important issue?

These are not companies that rose to the top of an industry by way of
healthy competition, but instead built their empires on
government-granted monopolies, price-fixing and predatory buy-out
tactics. Since the cable industry was deregulated in the late 1990s
cable rates have risen at over five times the rate of inflation. These
companies have made profits their priority while putting workers'
rights and local needs have been pushed to the backburner. Comcast in
particular, with over 21 million subscribers, is widely known for its
dismal customer service record, union-busting and other questionable
labor tactics, and ignoring local community needs.

What could be even worse is that if these cable monopolies are allowed
to continue their expansion, with little or no government oversight,
they will gain increasing control over not only television programming
and channels but also the content and structure of the internet.

The word cable, for most people, brings to mind cable television. We
think of channels like MTV, ESPN and HBO. But in actuality cable means
a lot more than our favorite TV shows and channels.

Cable is a highly consolidated industry that relies heavily on
government-granted monopolies. As the cable industry expands its reach
from TV to internet and phone services, the cable monopolies are
positioning themselves to become the ultimate gatekeepers of the media
you consume and create.

Cable companies rely on franchise agreements that give them monopoly
control over a single city's potential cable subscribers. We can think
of this as the "original sin" of cable ownership. This monopoly control
allowed cable companies to continually raise rates and take advantage
of consumers who were left without a choice. Over the years, a handful
of cable companies built upon their locally-granted monopolies and
successfully lobbied the federal government to deregulate the cable
industry nationally. More and more cable providers were bought out,
leaving the industry where it stands now, where Comcast, the nation's
largest cable provider, controls over a third of all cable homes and
the top four cable companies control over 70% of the national market.

The remaining cable giants are now using their leverage as
government-granted monopolies to expand into both high-speed internet
access and phone service. They are also expanding into the content side
of the media world as can be seen with Comcast's attempt to buy Disney
in 2004. At the same time they are lobbying the federal government and
the FCC to further deregulate cable ownership so that they can grow
even bigger.

http://tinyurl.com/yacjr3

Long live FTA!

-uptimod

That thing I wish more would understand is ultimatly that ownership clearly means control. And when someone is not only the distributor but also the creator of the content AND equipment it creates a serious problem.

Digital cable is a 2 way communication. From a advertisment point of view it's heaven. It has the concept of knowing your audience and within that you can get far more detailed demographics.

I've already heard of a case I think in florida with time warner cable where the pvr's limited the amount of time a recording is on it. Since it is the cable company and the content was HBO and that the pvr and cable box are owned by the company and they know from the logs it was recorded then they could delete it.

This is one reason why I don't use my cable co's pvr

I've watched this off and on over the last few days, and I'll give them credit. This is much better than I thought it would be. I was concerned it would be "all Iraq and Palestine all the time," but it's got much more of an international focus - but still with a Middle Eastern bent.

However, I think three days in, their self-congratulatory spots and attitude is getting to be a bit much. Last night they had on a half hour brag-fest about their launch. Even FOX and CNN are finally saying "Enough, guys"!

No problem for me. The channel on Pas9 looks better than the one on IA5. I have LCD so Pal is not an issue for me.

Can anyone view this channel on Pas 9 C? All I get is a black screen and am thinking it is encrypted. Not a disaster since we have IA-5 Ku but disappointing nonetheless.

Got home last night and found it is now working with my Pansat. I have no idea why it was blank. Must have been a "feature" of the receiver as I didn't have to rescan it in.

I noticed that if I switch polarity on my dish from V to H, Al Jazeera English is blank. 3840H and 3840V use the same SR, but 3840V doesn't use pids 1860, 1820. Perhaps you just had the dish set to the wrong polarity.

I noticed that if I switch polarity on my dish from V to H, Al Jazeera English is blank. 3840H and 3840V use the same SR, but 3840V doesn't use pids 1860, 1820. Perhaps you just had the dish set to the wrong polarity.

Probably the best explanation but I was aware of the TP on the other polarity and did check that side as well. The full blind scan picked out the channel but wouldn't tune it. I was thinking of fine tuning the skew just in case the other polarity was interfering but when I got home all was well and my skew setting seemed to be at the optimum point. Unless this happens again I'll just blame myself for now.

Thanks from the land of snow eating west winds.

Mark.

I don't think it's going to be encrypted. Al Jaz want's this to be seen. They want to get their side of the message out. The anchors are speaking flawless English with a slight twinge of a British accent. They seem to be remarkably balanced in their presentation so far. It's nice to see stuff in Iraq and hear in English instead of trying to follow Arabic on the other channels.

I think many of the "British" accents are " Aussie". I've been listening to this for a couple days, while on these forums and others, and it's an interesting experience. The MidEast perspective is evident , but it's also clever. I could with that everyone could watch this, and jeer or cheer , as they like. Even a biased new perspective will humanize the difference between the cultures. Maybe we can get the Army home again, alive.

Brent
Alumnus of the 3d Infantry Division

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)