Ala Carte? I'm all for it... DIRT READ THIS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...mccain-revives-a-la-carte-cable-bill/2325953/

“The most egregious of all is ESPN,” McCain said today in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s “Street Smart” program. “There are many, many people, unlike me, that don’t like to watch ESPN and yet they’re faced with the prospect of paying about $5 more in their cable bill.”
--------------------------------
Many people are dumping dish, directv, and cable providers to watch stuff over the internet, either off their computer or on a streaming set top box like a Roku. Many blu ray players and TV's offer this now as well.

The reason for it? The bills are getting too high, and here is my personal reason:

I watch a total of 12 channels.

Yet to get most of the channels I watch, I have to subscribe to the Top 250 package.

I pay out the nose just to watch a few more channels, but I also get a whole slew of channels I don't watch at all. Dozens more channels I pay for that go to waste.

Many more people are going to dump "normal TV" and go with online streaming that is completely free.

If Dish (maybe a good time for a Dirt member to read the following and forward it to executives) wants to stay afloat, they need to offer ala-carte services.

Dish will lose money due to people going to ala-carte, but more people will subscribe.

As the content providers continue to bully Dish and Directv with higher rates, it will raise the price to the end user, and will make them start looking into internet based TV.

Actually legal free online streaming is about to get put further behind a pay wall. ABC is removing streaming from free Hulu.com and more or less the only way you'll be able to stream the shows is if you subscribe to Cable or Satellite. I'm not even 100% sure if they'll be available to Hulu Plus members.

You complain about the $5/month more you pay to currently subsidize ESPN but if you had Ala Carte you could potentially be paying a lot more than $5. I say more than like they'll set entry price points per channel at $3.95 to $4.95 for the most popular ones so if you picked 15 channels theoretically you could still be paying $60 - $75/month for TV and getting less channels. Then whats not to say the companies like Dish, DirecTv, Suddenlink, Charter, Time Warner, etc require the customer to carry X amount of Ale Carte channels? You know so they make sure that some guy isn't just subscribing to one channel and paying $5/month bill.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts