Alaska Radio Station - SES-2 4043.42 MHz - Need HELP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radiofreq

Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
United States, Alaska
Hello everyone,

I am an IT guy doing computer systems and transmitter work for a radio station in Alaska. I know plenty about vhf radio systems and amateur radio. But I really dont know that much about satellite systems.
Anyway, Ive been asked to setup a satellite to receive an s-ftp signal on one of our boxes. I have 2 spare dishes here at the station. 1 mounted with a ku-band lnb, and one that needs to be mounted with a direct dish ku-band lnb.

Here is what I need to hit:
Ses-2 Transponder 17
4043.42 Mhz C-Band
Horizontal Down
Orbit 87degW
Azimuth 107.3deg E (True North)
Elev 2.04deg

My main question is, can I simply buy a C-band lnb and swap out the ku-band lnb and make it work? Or do I need to buy a whole new dish with a C-band LNB? They are both large dishes, approximately 80in and larger. I think they are both Channel Master.

Thanks,
Ben

80 inches is what we consider medium sized. To receive that C-band satellite in Alaska , you will require at least a 10 ft. dish but for commercial use at a radio station, I would go with at least a 12 ft. dish.

Even then, at 2.04 degree elevation, I hope you have access to a flat roof with a clear line of sight as you will have a very hard time getting signal otherwise! You might want to inquire if there's another satellite which could be used for your location in Alaska as it's very hard to receive C-band satellites with elevations below 5 degrees due to earth based interference a dish aimed so low would be picking up.

Regards

PwrSurge

Ben,

Which station are you working for? I worked a for a station in Bristol Bay for awhile (and work for one of the stations on that TP you're trying to hit)

And yes, for C-Band, you'll likely need 10 feet at best. That 2 degrees is killer for anyone in Alaska from my experience.

DiscoLoveGrapes: I am working for KAKN in Naknek, AK also in the Bristol Bay! Im trying to hook up an Amb-Os system for downloading programs.

So Im going to need a bigger dish? There is a dish that large right next to our property. It was for an old TV tower that is no longer in service. Its pretty much abandoned. Maybe I can find the owner and purchase that dish. I want to say its at least 12ft if not 15ft.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys radiofreq!!!!!!

Good grief, I used to work at his station!

I just gave them a call. We had a horrible time hitting 87 when I was there, but they may (may, mind you) have a C-Band to try later on now. I know it'd help them immensely with program issue if they could hit that CRC TP on 87 West.

Small world!!

Thanks for the call DiscoLoveGrapes! A lot of good info. Now I know what that crumbled dish in the bushes is (and what 100mph gust can do)! haha

Here is the deal. There is an old abandoned tv tower right next to our property. There is nothing live on it at the moment. But they have a 210in C-Band dish sitting next to it mounted into a raised concrete slab. We are going to call the State of Alaska and see if we cant get our hands on it. Its about 75 meters from the station but I think it may work. Its worth looking into anyway.

Ben

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts