Alignment by D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I had my second Slimline alignment in a year today. Seems one leg of the tripod was loose and the dish was moving.

The tech told me that I should get the maintenance agreement as one trip for service equals the yearly maintenance charge (or close).

My HR20-100 is leased as most all are and I'm wondering: if it were to die, would I have to pay for replacement? If not then why would I need a maintenance agreement?

I had my second Slimline alignment in a year today. Seems one leg of the tripod was loose and the dish was moving.

The tech told me that I should get the maintenance agreement as one trip for service equals the yearly maintenance charge (or close).

My HR20-100 is leased as most all are and I'm wondering: if it were to die, would I have to pay for replacement? If not then why would I need a maintenance agreement?

The protection plan covers almost everything, if you have it, everything is covered.
Without, you will have to pay if they need to come out for any reasons you find needing them.

If you have the PP and your dish needs re aligning, no problem and no charge.
If your HR20-100 dies, they will replace it, you may have to pay the shipping fee, ($ 19.99) maybe not. Personally I don't know why they charge that and call it a shipping fee, when they deliver most of them, by thier choice.

Jimbo

If your HR20-100 dies, they will replace it, you may have to pay the shipping fee, ($ 19.99) maybe not. Personally I don't know why they charge that and call it a shipping fee, when they deliver most of them, by thier choice.

Jimbo

Thanks for the reply Jimbo. So Going by your last sentence, if the HR20-100 dies they will replace it (as it's under lease). Is that correct?

As for alignment, I think I just called for my last as I've been reading the posts on alignment, and since I initially installed my Dish and D* dishes, I think I'll be doing it myself.

I just have to find what signal meter everyone is using. I don't want to sit on the roof with a small tv, a receiver, and a blanket over my head again. :)

Any idea what that might be?

I don't want to sit on the roof with a small tv, a receiver, and a blanket over my head again. :)
Do you have a spouse or friend that can come over and help by shouting out updates from inside? Don't know that I have heard of anyone camping out to tweak their dish ;)

just mark where everything is at right now. start with the easier adjustments and make very minor adjustments or movements and check the results. my signals for 103c and 99c were between 65-85. all i did was start with the easiest adjustments. i loosened up the 3 bolts that attach the dish to the pole, moved it an 1/8 of an inch towards the right and my signals jumped to 89-97! usually the other adjustments like azimuth elevation and tilt are usually fine. start with the adjustments that are for moving the dish left or right and make small adjustments. check to see if left or towards the right is best. once you position it where the signals reach the highest tighten it there. if it isn't enough go to the tilt adjustment next. that would probably peak it. again remember small movements. hope it works out for you. i've never called a tech to peak a dish. it's easy as long as you're patient.:)

Thanks for the reply Jimbo. So Going by your last sentence, if the HR20-100 dies they will replace it (as it's under lease). Is that correct?

As for alignment, I think I just called for my last as I've been reading the posts on alignment, and since I initially installed my Dish and D* dishes, I think I'll be doing it myself.

I just have to find what signal meter everyone is using. I don't want to sit on the roof with a small tv, a receiver, and a blanket over my head again. :)

Any idea what that might be?

DaveO,
Do you have a set of walkie talkies, or a friend with a cell phone ?
Much easier when you can be on the roof and know what it says on the SS meter.
If you are able to get the Audio part to work on the SS screen, (I have had no luck with my current models) , you can set the walkie talkie to ON and sit it in front of the TV and listen for the signal, when it gets fast your getting better, faster the higher it is !
Thats one way to do it if you don't have a meter or a friend around.

Jimbo

just mark where everything is at right now. start with the easier adjustments and make very minor adjustments or movements and check the results. my signals for 103c and 99c were between 65-85. all i did was start with the easiest adjustments. i loosened up the 3 bolts that attach the dish to the pole, moved it an 1/8 of an inch towards the right and my signals jumped to 89-97! usually the other adjustments like azimuth elevation and tilt are usually fine. start with the adjustments that are for moving the dish left or right and make small adjustments. check to see if left or towards the right is best. once you position it where the signals reach the highest tighten it there. if it isn't enough go to the tilt adjustment next. that would probably peak it. again remember small movements. hope it works out for you. i've never called a tech to peak a dish. it's easy as long as you're patient.:)

Another option that works , is to just place some (slight) pressure on each side of the dish and see if it changes your signal the correct was, this is done without loosening anything, so you don't have to worry about losing your signal. When you find the correct direction to move it, then slightly loosen the correct bolts and re-tighten when done.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts