All HD networks on ConUS beam at 129W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kyledoo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I don't even have my FTA system started yet, but I have been looking around trying to find some stuff that would make it worth getting. I found out that on 129W all 4 major networks are available in Mpeg4 8psk format. This MAY help sway my decision, so what is 8psk, and which recievers do it? I am only looking at spending $80-$100 on a receiver, but if spending a little more would open up a bunch of channels, maybe something with S2, I may be willing to do that.
Other than that, what sort of "mainstream" programming can I receive on a FTA system? Even if the channels aren't really "mainstream" I am just wondering if any of them are worth watching besides PBS and the christian networks, I already get all 5 TBN networks OTA, and don't have a need for any more of that type of programming. I like mostly scientific stuff similar to what is on discovery channel. Thanks for any tips and for explaining what S2, Mpeg4, and 8psk are.

There are 2 satellites at 129w. Galaxy 27 has White Springs TV which can be viewed by an FTA system. The other sat is Echostar 5 which carries Dish Network subscription programming. You will need Dish Network equipment and a subscription through them to view those channels. DISH Network -- Home Hope this helps! :D

Last edited:
DVB-S2 is the new implementation of the DVB standard which uses MPEG-4 to enable equal quality using a lower bitrate (so that programmers can cram even more channels on a single transponder). S2 receivers (for consumers) are still very new, and cost quite a bit (in fact, they are all currently HD receivers as well).

Personally, I wouldn't spend the $400+ on an S2 receiver for a few in-the-clear Dish channels that might scramble at any moment. Dish also uses 8psk Turbo, which is a different modulation from what most of the FTA channels such as the Equity channels will use once they implement the standard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts