All kinds of problems with the Sling Adapter today

Well looks like the sling adapter is not an option for 722k owners yet. I am glad I didn't get one yet. Already swapped out the 922 due to poor sling functions and lost recordings, and it isn't essential to me to have tv everywhere right now. I am happy with the 722k and the revue google box. I think DISH is rushing this new tech out quickly and it isn't ready for prime time yet, kind of like the 922 when it came out. They must really want to get the sling adapters out for the holidays and before CES next month .

Only a couple of problem after about 3 days

I have used it on my computer and on my android phone. I have a 722K running in dual mode. I was under the impression it controls TV2 not TV1. What happens to me is that when I click on the grid to watch something it changes my TV1 to whatever program I clicked on and shows on my computer or my android is the last station I was watching remotely. When I go in and change channels after that point on time it works fine. I was wondering why, if you tell it you want to watch on your computer or mobile device, it does not leave your TV1 alone and display the program you selected on your remote device. I obviously have set up something wrong but I can't figure out what. Other then that I am very happy with the product.

The sling adapter is quite the different device than the sling box products. What was a complete surprise to me after connecting it to my 722K was the fact that it took control away from my DVR without warning and allowed me to watch the channel I wanted from a remote computer. Once I disconnected the computer connection as in closed the browser my 722K would return to a partial dual tuner device, maintaining dual mode until I reset it from the DVR mode button. If you are a prolific DVR user and have multiple tuners in use doing simultaneous recordings as I do, this SA will greatly restrict your DVR practice.

The traditional Sling Box does not work this way at all. It does not take control of your DVR, rather all it does is monitor the device output much the same way as your local monitor and sound system but sent those media signals to the internet. While you still have to access one tuner to watch a channel, at least with the box, you will get the same warnings as you would at home if you have both tuners in recording at the time. You have the same options as at home to shut down a recording and switch channels, or just continue to watch the channel in use for the recording. In effect, Sling Box, keeps YOU in control, while Sling Adapter, takes control and hides the disruptions to your intended recording schedule. THis assumes everything works as intended. Presently, there seems to be some bugs in the 722K implementation that should get resolved with a firmware update in the near future.

If you decide to get a Sling Adapter as opposed to the Sling Box, you should be aware of these limitations to the device. If your use is occasional DVR recording, rarely recording from two tuners at the same time, the Sling Adapter will give you a nice $150 cost savings over the box, but you will give up control and features of the dual tuner DVR in the process. If you are a heavy DVR practitioner, you'll be much happier biting the bullet and spending for the sling box. IN my opinion, the Sling technology is cheap either way to have your TV content remote assuming you have adequate internet speed.

I too am disillusioned with my Sling Adapter. (1) I don't have a fast enough computer to do HD and (2) the Better quality setting cranks up to 8Mbps and, while giving a marvelous picture, sometimes stutters and always gets the audio out of sync over my 11g network after playing awhile. Finally (3) I was hoping to use this to replace one or both of my 612s, but that's not going to happen because the client is rather cumbersome and has a completely different menu than a Dish receiver. Also (4) there are the bugs., at least for now.

I was just playing with the stream from my Hava Platinum. The streaming bandwidth consumed is comparable to the SA, but (1) the picture is about the same quality as the Better quality SA setting, and of course (3) the menus are identical. It's not HD, but I have to do something about my feeble-minded computers anyhow, before I can watch HD on the SA. Oh, and (4) the Hava Platinum PC standalone client has no significant bugs, plus (5) I can stream to as many local LAN clients as I want, and (6) I can record unencrypted DVD-quality video.

P.S. What are you doing up at this hour, Don?

Last edited:
The sling adapter is quite the different device than the sling box products. What was a complete surprise to me after connecting it to my 722K was the fact that it took control away from my DVR without warning and allowed me to watch the channel I wanted from a remote computer. Once I disconnected the computer connection as in closed the browser my 722K would return to a partial dual tuner device, maintaining dual mode until I reset it from the DVR mode button. If you are a prolific DVR user and have multiple tuners in use doing simultaneous recordings as I do, this SA will greatly restrict your DVR practice.

The traditional Sling Box does not work this way at all. It does not take control of your DVR, rather all it does is monitor the device output much the same way as your local monitor and sound system but sent those media signals to the internet. While you still have to access one tuner to watch a channel, at least with the box, you will get the same warnings as you would at home if you have both tuners in recording at the time. You have the same options as at home to shut down a recording and switch channels, or just continue to watch the channel in use for the recording. In effect, Sling Box, keeps YOU in control, while Sling Adapter, takes control and hides the disruptions to your intended recording schedule. THis assumes everything works as intended. Presently, there seems to be some bugs in the 722K implementation that should get resolved with a firmware update in the near future.

If you decide to get a Sling Adapter as opposed to the Sling Box, you should be aware of these limitations to the device. If your use is occasional DVR recording, rarely recording from two tuners at the same time, the Sling Adapter will give you a nice $150 cost savings over the box, but you will give up control and features of the dual tuner DVR in the process. If you are a heavy DVR practitioner, you'll be much happier biting the bullet and spending for the sling box. IN my opinion, the Sling technology is cheap either way to have your TV content remote assuming you have adequate internet speed.
How does Sling on the 922 behave, like the Sling Adapter, or the Sling Box??

How does Sling on the 922 behave, like the Sling Adapter, or the Sling Box??

It is TV2. Now, with the new update that enables TV2, I do not know what will happen if you have TV2 and sling at the same time, I would hope it would just mirror. But, essentially the sling on the 922 is like TV2 on the 722/622.

A sling box would be running on TV1 on the 622/722. TV1 is much more flexible since TV2 is the one that usually gets assigned the timers.

Last night I bought the ipad app for my new slingbox Pro-HD. Very nice! I now have two apps on the ipad, one for the Pro HD and one for Dish Remote access. Both work fine and with the SA on the 722 the function is quite good.

I also use the "Better" setting as I too found out about the sync issue, especially with the Best setting. My Comcast can do 12Mbps, 46Mbps down up so that isn't the issue. I think you only need Best setting if you are watching on a large screen. MY watching is mostly to an ipad so Better is quite adequate.

I have no problem using the 'Best" setting, I have a slow DSL connection, so I think the CPU might be the key here. I have tried the "Better" a couple times, pq is good, but tint is off a little toward green, not bad, but in "Best" it is spot on for me.
Using 722 with i-Pad.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts