All my OTA locals are 73 miles away. Is there any antenna I can buy that will reach?

probably not... but maybe. It depends on the antenna, the station, the signal, and more than anything your line of sight. Do you live on a mountain, and/or is the station on a mountain?

If the towers on are the side of a very high hill or mountain or even a skyscraper and you face that side of the hill/mountain and there's very flat terrain in between you and the towers and they're high-power and you have a large antenna, mounted as high as possible, and you have and amplifier and .....

As already mentioned, there are many factors that will effect the reception of the signals you are trying to receive. I have many stations in the 70mi to 80mi range that I get great reception from, and some in the 60mi range that I can not get. Now most of them are across water so that helps greatly, but I sporatically can receive one from 120mi. In my situation I use a tower with a 8 bay bowtie UHF antenna and a Channel Master pre-amplifer. (CM7775) I require the tower to get above the trees in my area for I have a good (but not totally clear) view towards the transmitting stations. In my situation, height makes an extreme difference. I have a rotor to peak the antenna direction to the station I am receiving, and most I find are very directional. A few degrees of the rotor can make the difference of a great signal or one that is always breaking up, or not coming in at all. Before using the CM7775, I was using an old Radio Shack pre-amplifer and could not get reliable reception from any stations. The very low noise preamplifer worked exceptionally well for me. To get an even lower noise preamplier, the price rises to 4 or 5 times the price of the CM7775, so that was not an option for me. I currently have a 30ft tower, but would like to put up a 70ft to 80ft tower, as I have hills in my area that prevent the reception of the stations 65mi from me. The transmitting stations power and direction can also make a big difference. Some stations put out a directional signal, so a waeker directional signal may travel farther than a more powerful non-directional signal. The height of the transmitting antenna and terrain of the are are other factors.
At 73mi away, if you do get reception, it probably will be sporatic. The best thing to do first, is to check any local tv antenna tower shops to see if what you are trying to receive can be done, and to see what they recomend. 73mi may be just to far for reliable reception in your area.

I pull one in that far using a Silver Sensor in the atic with a model 7777 channel master map. There are no hills or mountains here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)