All of our recordings are gone... what happened?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
We got a Hopper and Super Joey installed on Thursday (3 days ago), and the first day I enabled the Primetime Anytime feature and set like a dozen movies and series to record. As of last night it was showing like 30 recordings and 8% of the drive was used. Now when we go into the DVR it shows 1% used and 1 show recorded. What happened? My wife nor I deleted any of the programs, heck just now is the first time we've even turned on the TV since last night when we had TONS of stuff on the DVR and lots of stuff set to record today.

Thanks for any input or suggestions. Hopefully we don't run into reliability issues with the Hopper.

Update. The timers I setup are all still there, but none of the recordings are. Also I had created some Folders for stuff to go into, and none of those folders are there too. Is this normal? We're recording new stuff now. Just stinks because I recorded the Walking Dead marathon, and as of last night all the ones I had missed were on the DVR. They're not any more :-/

Someone mentioned in another thread when I asked about Netflix not working that updates may still be running, so could an update have wiped out all my recordings? Netflix is working now, so something must've changed since this wasn't working on Thursday. I just can't imagine an update would blitz my DVR.

And I"m not sure if this matters, but we have PT enabled, and it recorded TONS of stuff Thursday and Friday night, and all that is gone too.

Last edited:
Power fail the Hopper and let it reboot.

What do you mean? Unplug the power and let it come back up? Will this show the missing recordings or just prevent this from occurring again? We did have a power blip earlier today, but if that was it how could a power blip delete everything, including the folders I created? Or is it because it is a new box? I just wanted to be sure this is just a one time thing and not something that'll happen occasionally.

Thanks for your help.

Should be a one time thing. Very possible, if under 72 hours, is because it was not done updating. A reset likely could bring it back. Power blips can cause issues.

Reactions: JSheridan
Should be a one time thing. Very possible, if under 72 hours, is because it was not done updating. A reset likely could bring it back. Power blips can cause issues.

I cycled the Hopper, but alas no recordings came back. Oh well. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Sam

Get a UPS and put the receiver on it. They are fairly cheap, and work well. I have two UPS's by my entertainment center. They each run 1/2 my equipment, which is extensive. We have enough power issues and brownouts, that until I did this, we had problems also. Now, I haven't experienced any issues due to power for 5 years!

This is what I have: Amazon product ASIN B000FBK3QK
Buy new though, as you don't know how old the batteries are when you buy one used.

You're saying that we can't record anything (reliably) for at least (3) days after installation? That is silly - and wrong.
I'm saying issues can occur for the first 72 hours. Reliability in the first 3 days on the hopper system, has never been a strong suit. Especially VOD and DVR.

I've had (3) Hoppers (an original Hopper, a replacement when the HDD died, and just recently, a Hopper with Sling). We've had zero DVR issues other than some tiles now showing the show's 'graphic'. The recordings were all made and didn't disappear either. VOD, presuming you mean channel "1" or "501" ? Never heard of anything about that.... Well, other than the fact that they take a few days to download. This was the case with ViP receivers as well - it's simply a bandwidth limitation.

I have been through 6 or 7 Hoppers, between previously Betaing them last year, and having my own, and have noticed that the DVR features can be affected, usually in the first 24 hours, and the VOD and internet based features typically took 72.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts