All stations go to B&W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
What is the most likely cause if all stations suddenly change to B&W?
Turning TV and cable box off and back on brings the color back.

(Using S_Video from STB to AVR and from AVR to TV.)

Nobody weighed in, but I ended up getting a new HDTV--old one was the last SD CRT in house, but was a terrific TV for many years until this issue arose. In fact, color was better on it than on this new Samsung replacement.

Also, no matter what picture size I select from the 4 or 5 available, when a show has text at the left edge, the first few letters are cut off--the full image is not onscreen. It seems to be permanently 'zoomed in' just a little bit.

It does sound like an over scan issue.
I have been through all of the sub-menus in the "Menu" button and have seen nothing sounding like an overscan setting. The only one relating to picture size and fit has four options
4:3, 16:9, screen fit, wide zoom.

It is a Samsung UN32EH4003F

Last edited:
In order to adjust the overscan you may need to have the set professionally calibrated.

In order to adjust the overscan you may need to have the set professionally calibrated.

For completeness for other readers, I have to confess. Without going through the path of how this was found, the problem LIKELY was that the cable box STB has a setting for picture size also== and it was set to ZOOM (I know not why I ever did that).

I think that was what caused it, but I cannot check because I returned that Samsung due to that issue (which probably wasn't a real issue) and due to never being able to get its color adjusted to anything I would ever be satisfied with. The Visio I got as a replacement has GREAT color with only one tweak to the 'color' level--none of the other parameters needed changing.

And with the cable box no longer on zoom, there is no problem with the edge of pic being lost.

Glad to hear that. I've had very good luck with Vizio sets.

Having now used the Vizio for a while, I am fairly pleased with it, especially the color which is excellent.

The is one thing it does that is very distressing though; when you change to a new channel, you are familiar with the info banner that comes up at the bottom showing the network, the channel ID, the time bar, etc. On this TV, the banner appears instantly, but it is a second or two before the picture is there.

The disconcerting problem is that the banner is usuallydimmed to about 20% unreadable intensity either from the git-go, or is bright VERY briefly, then dims for "long" time, then comes back full level. When in the dim state, it really is unreadable, making channel surfing not a smooth activity due to the difficulty seeing what you have landed on.

Other than that, and not a very wide viewing angle, I am happy with it.

Having now used the Vizio for a while, I am fairly pleased with it, especially the color which is excellent.

The is one thing it does that is very distressing though; when you change to a new channel, you are familiar with the info banner that comes up at the bottom showing the network, the channel ID, the time bar, etc. On this TV, the banner appears instantly, but it is a second or two before the picture is there.

The disconcerting problem is that the banner is usuallydimmed to about 20% unreadable intensity either from the git-go, or is bright VERY briefly, then dims for "long" time, then comes back full level. When in the dim state, it really is unreadable, making channel surfing not a smooth activity due to the difficulty seeing what you have landed on.

Other than that, and not a very wide viewing angle, I am happy with it.

Look for an "ECO" power setting in the tv menus, and turn it OFF. That may fix this, as it'll cause the screen to dim and brighten to (supposedly) save power. My LG tv from last year had an issue like this, and once I turned off that setting, all has been well since then.

What is the most likely cause if all stations suddenly change to B&W?
Turning TV and cable box off and back on brings the color back.

(Using S_Video from STB to AVR and from AVR to TV.)
Regarding your original question your "S video" was probably the problem. The signal on S video is separated into Chrominance (color) and Luminance (brightness) .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)