All the streaming boxes suck now

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I don't completely agree with the thesis, but the article does make some good points. Specifically, the idea that streaming content needs to be organized "like cable" isn't an obvious requirement, but more of a "nice to have" feature.

Reactions: DS0816
I can see some of the points being made. I do all my streaming via the apps built in to my TV's so no need for a standalone streaming box.

I want a straming box when I can go into the apps and favorite channels, and then when I want o watch TV I select my favorite channels and the bo opens the correct app and channel for me. So many channels like Pluto Xumo, Local Now, Roku Channel and others have so many great live channels that its hard to remember where your favorites are.

I can see some of the points being made. I do all my streaming via the apps built in to my TV's so no need for a standalone streaming box.
Same here. I have an Apple TV hooked up I rarely need to use. Fire TV Stick sits on a shelf. Vast majority of my streaming is through the apps installed on my 2 year old Sony. So far at least, the TV apps work perfectly well and are up to date. I get around the lack of a comprehensive guide by keeping a list of what I want to watch.

I am mostly happy with my AppleTVs. My biggest complaint is actually how it handles audio out for non-Atmos content.

I largely disagree with the premise, at least regarding the Chromecast. For the most part it promotes the apps and programs I want to watch, or have been DVR'd for me by YTTV.

My only issues on it for me stem from kids usage skewing recommendations sometimes.

I don't completely agree with the thesis, but the article does make some good points. Specifically, the idea that streaming content needs to be organized "like cable" isn't an obvious requirement, but more of a "nice to have" feature.

The article has some good points. However, the cost of a Roku or Fire TV is so inexpensive, they are there to sell to the masses. If all streaming boxes were going for what the Shield is going for, few would buy them. Sure the Fire & the Roku could be better. Nothing is perfect. I have 2 Fire Sticks, 1 Fire Cube, 2 Roku's and one Chrome cast in operation, also the Tablo & ReCast. Considering the inexpensive boxes, I really cannot complain. Could they be better? Sure. Anything can be improved, but for what we pay in this age is peanuts for what we should be paying. For some reason, the guy is really down on the boxes. He should be happy they are available. Sometimes in this day, we have it too good. I go back to the day was TV entertainment was 2-3 OTA channels, if we could be them. Today, with inexpensive streaming boxes, I got rid of my big dish, as I never used it any longer. I get about everything and so much more with the streaming boxes. Plus no outside maintenance to deal with in our Winter weather. To me, the streaming boxes are wonderful. Quit complaining and watch some good TV.

I might add, we have access to about anything we want too. I have channels in the past I could only have dreamed about having. They were not on cable or satellite. Gone are the days when I would ask Cox Cable (In those days) or Dish for a channel. I can get about anything free & paid now. Who cares with some carrier doesn't have a channel, as in most cases it can be found elsewhere. An example, are the Weigel channels (METV, Decades, etc). If you don't get them OTA, Frndly TV has 6 out of 7 of them (No METV+ though). So the boxes as their faults, but wow, the amount of TV available is more than amazing, and more every day.

Reactions: DS0816 and navychop
While a better idk, system of pooling your favorite shows and where available would obviously be welcome, I've not found myself spending more time going to what I'm wanting to watch than I did when I had sat.

I'm quite pleased with the apple tv, and it pools content less than others I have. I guess personally I just don't see it as a huge deal.

Reactions: ncted
I largely disagree with the premise, at least regarding the Chromecast. For the most part it promotes the apps and programs I want to watch, or have been DVR'd for me by YTTV.

My only issues on it for me stem from kids usage skewing recommendations sometimes.
I agree that the Google tv platform does a good job of grabbing what you actually want to watch and putting it front and center, and I also agree with your issue at least when it comes to be Chromecast and multiple users.

That's one thing I figured Google would have fixed by now. I don't think it would be that difficult to do.

I agree that the Google tv platform does a good job of grabbing what you actually want to watch and putting it front and center, and I also agree with your issue at least when it comes to be Chromecast and multiple users.

That's one thing I figured Google would have fixed by now. I don't think it would be that difficult to do.

Done!

Reactions: ncted and Ronnie-
I'm quite pleased with the apple tv, and it pools content less than others I have. I guess personally I just don't see it as a huge deal.
IMO, the Apple TV does a better job than any other device of pulling together content from across apps. The Apple TV app on the box has a unified Up Next watchlist that supports about every major app except Netflix. I love the way it automatically keeps track of what I'm watching across HBO Max, Apple TV+, Hulu, Peacock, PBS, Freevee, Prime Video, etc. It's the closest thing I've seen in the streaming era to the old DVR list of recordings in the cable era.

IMO, the Apple TV does a better job than any other device of pulling together content from across apps. The Apple TV app on the box has a unified Up Next watchlist that supports about every major app except Netflix. I love the way it automatically keeps track of what I'm watching across HBO Max, Apple TV+, Hulu, Peacock, PBS, Freevee, Prime Video, etc. It's the closest thing I've seen in the streaming era to the old DVR list of recordings in the cable era.
I will have to check that out, as I rarely use the apple app on the box.

Do you have multiple users, all with different app profiles, in your house? I ask because the last time I tried Up Next, it didn't seem to keep track of which profiles were watching which show in the apps. As a result, a show my wife was watching in her profile in Paramount+ would sometimes be watched in her profile and sometimes mine when using Up Next.

To me any non jailbroken Apple product is like getting pick pocketed. That's me. You all that love anything Apple, enjoy.
My Sony Bravia Android TV does have the same apps that my 2 fire devices have. I have a largely unused Roku. Another hand in your pocket streamer.
Although seeing that I occasionally use my laptop and desktop Windows computers to cast to the TV. The Roku is pain free. Android requires to open an app first. And once closed, its dead.
Over the past year I've been a bit glued to Youtube for updates on the Ukraine events. Through a VPN on my router to get more unbiased news that for some reason over here tends to lean one way. But I'm not here for politics.
Fire devices let me use a USB keyboard and mouse. Now that there is a jailbreak for the Apple TV that sits in a drawer. Maybe...just maybe I'll fire it up.
Kodi? I use it. Not a lot. With a Kodi Build for an all in one experience. On VPN, of course. Because....you know.
Plex, VLC. Pluto TV. I'm so unfamiliar with the Apple TV (because I hate Apple) I don't even remember if you can use them.
I certainly can't throw my Fire devices in the "you suck" bin. Considering after I bought them I haven't spent a penny getting Internet content or having to got through what you do if you happen to forget your Apple stuff to get one of their boxes to register again if you do a reset. And dammit. Not a single version of eye-toons is on any pc I own. That I like.

Do you have multiple users, all with different app profiles, in your house? I ask because the last time I tried Up Next, it didn't seem to keep track of which profiles were watching which show in the apps. As a result, a show my wife was watching in her profile in Paramount+ would sometimes be watched in her profile and sometimes mine when using Up Next.
Nope, just me. So yeah, I can see how it might get messy with different profiles. I know that the Apple TV app supports profiles but I don't know if there's a way to link a specific profile there to specific profiles in the other apps. Some services, though, like Paramount+ allow you to subscribe as "Apple TV Channels" right inside the Apple TV app, which would avoid the issue.