GEOSATpro Alternative method to get rid of the MicroHD "jitter"

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
Maybe you've been there before. There you are, flipping between sports feeds, or recording one channel while watching another recording you made earlier when suddenly, the strobe action begins. The sound is ok, and if you're recording, the playback is perfectly fine, too. However, the picture is stuttering, as if it's going in slow motion or just getting a few frames per second, and all the on-screen menus also have that troublesome twinkling effect. It's a case of the MicroHD jitters.

Until now, I had to debate what to do: 1. ignore the jitters and let my box finish the recording; or more likely, 2. miss a minute or so of my recording or program watching to reboot the MicroHD. Both are frustrating.

Now keep in mind, I'm using an old analogue TV, so I don't know how this would work on another type set, but I imagine it would be the same; Instead of rebooting the next time you get the jitters, do this:

1. Go to the menu by pressing "Menu." (Yes, you can do this while recording. Although most options won't be available to you, some are still selectable.)
2. Go down twice to select the 3rd icon shaped like a gear (System settings).
3. Choose "TV System" (the 2nd item in the right hand list).
4. Change the Video Resolution to any other mode and press OK.
5. The jitters have gone! I now change it back to my regular resolution and exit the menus.

I just discovered this last night, and it will save so much time now that I know this little trick :)

As far as the Aspect Mode, it is normally set at "auto," although I have changed it to other displays when needed. But the Video Resolution (which is what did the "magic") is normally fixed, on 480i.

Mine is fixed at 1080p, BUT, I have still seen this issue now and again. Normally parked on Metv (101w) 90% of the time.

I believe it's caused by some sort of memory leak (like with Windows software) but I'm not sure. My receiver is never turned off, never allowed to go to sleep, but 4-5 times it's gone into this problem in a year. I have updated to the latest firmwares pretty much when they came out, and still this issue persists. Thank goodness it's very infrequent.

Yeah, it could definitely be related to something in certain signals. Although your "memory leak" theory makes sense, too. I've sometimes had it happen while flipping through previously recorded programs on the connected hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts