Alternative to 129w ??

Living in a particularly tree infested part of the country, I have found that LOS wonders can be worked with a 12 gauge shotgun....but it seems like a very simple solution would be to just plant a 1-3/8" chain link post in the ground where you have LOS and aim an 18" dish and bingo it's done....what's one more anyway with your very large array?

I live in the city, that's a sure fire way to get a SWAT team out to your place who would blast you to ribbons with machine guns and tanks.. Not an option.. Also, I don't own guns.

The poles I would need to plant would have to be a 3" for the 1.2m dish or a 4" pole for the soon to arrive 1.8m dish that will be my 129w dish.

Once the trees are out of the way the 1.8 ought to pull in HD like a black hole sucks in photons.. :D

Oh, and one other very serious reason the trees need to come down, hurricanes.

They are close enough to my house that if they blew over in a hurricane they would cut my house in two like a hot knife through butter and kill me and my dog.
And believe me, trees DO blow over in hurricanes and crush houses, all the time. I want that possible disaster removed for that very reason. In addition to the many other reasons I've enumerated.

:)

Why not just use a standard size dish for 129 on a newly planted pole? It has to be cheaper and easier than all of these alternatives mentioned? You can even lose the other Dish dishes by installing a 3lnb dealio.

she already had the dishes set up so why spend the money (at the time) to get a D1000.2 when she had everything already available (dishes, LNB's, switch)?
Remember...she did an activation only account (owned equipment) so any changes requires an out of pocket expense

she already had the dishes set up so why spend the money (at the time) to get a D1000.2 when she had everything already available (dishes, LNB's, switch)?
Remember...she did an activation only account (owned equipment) so any changes requires an out of pocket expense
Why? Because she doesn't have line of site where they are now.

I worry about it during tornado season. I have a large pile of limbs after last weeks storms, but my personal opinion, I like the shade more than the heat in the summer

I worry about it during tornado season. I have a large pile of limbs after last weeks storms, but my personal opinion, I like the shade more than the heat in the summer

I'd rather be a little hot than crushed under a tree, personally. I used to love trees, but living in the Southeast, after hurricanes and tornado outbreaks, screw trees, let someone else plant them on their own property. Not to mention the satellite reception.

I'd rather be a little hot than crushed under a tree, personally. I used to love trees, but living in the Southeast, after hurricanes and tornado outbreaks, screw trees, let someone else plant them on their own property. Not to mention the satellite reception.

Exactly.. I have smaller trees now that are maybe 15 foot tall and wouldn't hurt my home if they fell. I sat in the house with 3 huge oak trees that covered my house when 100+mph winds were outside when Gustav passed...never again. Now I have a little bit larger home with about the same construction and I find my electricity bill to be about the same without the shade. I have a nice patio now for the shade I need.

Its more than a little hot here in July and August. True, I'm SOL if it gets uprooted and lands on the house. I have a 30ft Oak on one side and a 25ft Birch in the back by the patio. I have a 40ft Willow too, but it is out in the middle of the yard. It wouldn't hit my house or any neighbors if it fell. I keep them trimmed up pretty religiously.

Yes, the trees will eventually be taken down. I hope soon. But not to worry about the heat, I'm planting bamboo around my patio / garden area. Not super tall, not the type that spreads like weeds. It will get at most 12' to 14' tall and provide privacy to at least the patio area of my yard. Eventually I'll build some frame work over the patio area out of bamboo poles to let vines climb and enclose the patio in a green canopy.

And I won't have to worry about any more trees crushing my house. Seriously, there are two very large oak trees right next to my house and if they did fall on my house, they would totally obliterate my house beyond repair. And if my dog and I happened to be in the house, we would surely die. I don't want to live under that threat anymore. For years and years I was blissfully oblivious to the danger but now I'm painfully aware of it.

My folks had huge pine trees all around their house, easily over 100' tall each one. During hurricane Ike we all rode it out in their house and we were terrified that any second we could die from one of those trees cutting the house in two.
That hurricane, we had sustained hurricane force wind that lasted FOURTEEN HOURS. Luckily, only one tree blew over, a large cedar tree and it did fall against the house but it fell slowly, more like it was pushed over in slow motion over several hours and it was a soft landing against the house. No serious damage was done by it. That was their wake up call and as soon as things calmed down and the area had mostly recovered, Dad paid some company to come in and totally remove ALL the trees around their house so they never had to worry about that again. Wise decision.

Ultimately, the best move will be cutting down all the trees around here too. For safety reasons of course and to solve my satellite woes.

Until that happens though, and it may be months, I guess I have little choice than to go buy more poles and plant them in new places.
I hate to do that because when I get the 11' and 14' dishes over here, everything is going to have to be plucked up and moved.
I'll have to plant the little dishes closer to the back of the yard (south) and the big dishes closer to the house (north) so that they don't block one another.
Lots of hard work ahead I am afraid.. :eek:

:)

Game. On. Baby.......

It will be MONTHS before I get the trees cut down so in the mean time, I'm defoliating them NOW.
No leaves, no problem... I drilled a hole at a 45 degree angle into the trunk, into the heart of the tree and have been injecting nasty things into it.
Yellow leaves are all over the ground now. It looks like fall back there..

It's going to be cut down later but until then, I'm killing it with extreme prejudice.
And don't worry, I'm planting LOTS of bamboo and zillions of flowers so this is no loss.
Besides, it's a Chinese Tallow tree and in Texas we consider them to be nothing but big weeds...

Buh bye trees.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts