alternatives for folks losing channels due to move from 61.5 to 118

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nkhan86

Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
boston
Hi,

I have lost most of my international channels due to the satalite move from 61.5 to 118, as i cannot get a clear line to 118. I am sure lot of folks must be in similar situation. I am wondering what are the alternatives. How can dish network make this move without providing backward support for ppl who cannot get 118 satalite.

Thanks Garys for the reply. Dont quite understand what you mean by "why no los to 118" when dish network installed my satalite dish they only installed on LNB for 61.5 but I think i can add another LNB for 119 as long as 119 is also in the same direction as 61.5

Unfortunately there is not an alternative at this time for customers receiving international programming from the 61.5 sat. The 118.7 is now (for all intents and purposes) 'the international bird'.

If you do not have los to the 118, you will not have any los at the 119, as they are in the same general direction.

I know a lot of folks that are going to have the same problem, especially out east where the elevation of sight on that sat is so low in the horizon. For instance: Here in MI the 119/118 elevation is around 29/30... out in Maine though, it was 16-19 degrees.

Hopefully they will provide another alternative soon, as the migration process in and of itself is absolutely ridiculous... Having customers go from a small 300 or 500 dish, to the much larger 500+ requiring a switch installation, struts for supporting the weight of the dish and more than likely a complete reinstall of the system. As well as going to a sat that is roughly 8degrees lower in the horizon

Well if you have no line of sight to 118 then there isn't much you can do. Go to dishpointer.com to be sure you have no line of sight first. What is blocking the view by the way?

Dish is under no obligation to provide service to anyone if there is no LOS. Your only alternatives are the internet, DirecTV and FTA (although they are limited in language availability compared to Dish). Of course, who knows how long DirecTV will keep their international stuff at 95, as I believe that is the eventual plan for 110 and 119.

Thanks all for the responses. This pretty much sums up the problem:

"I know a lot of folks that are going to have the same problem, especially out east where the elevation of sight on that sat is so low in the horizon. For instance: Here in MI the 119/118 elevation is around 29/30... out in Maine though, it was 16-19 degrees."

I have the same problem and cant get los to 118.

What i am not happy about is how this whole thing is done and when I call dish networks and ask them some of these questions and they are often clue less.

Wondering who can I call to lodge my complain. I asked one of the technician who came to install dish 500+ and told me the bad news about not being able to get the signal. He told me to look into pansat. Not sure if thats of any help. Looked to me they also get signal from the same satalite as dish networks?

He told me to look into pansat. Not sure if thats of any help. Looked to me they also get signal from the same satalite as dish networks?

Pansat = FTA. I think many international channels are at 97W. Lot's of stuff in Arabic and Farsi, I believe, as well as some others. Check out the FTA section of this site.

Sorry that this is a little off topic but I lost two of my local HD channels this morning and Dish told me they were on 61.5. I have the dish 500 so what can I do to receive these channels again? Thanks for any help or info.

Sorry that this is a little off topic but I lost two of my local HD channels this morning and Dish told me they were on 61.5.

I don't know where you are or where your channels were, but there are many HD channels on the 129 sat that are listed as unavailable. I haven't seen any discussion of DISH's ultimate plans, but maybe your channels are mirrored there and someday maybe they will be turned on. Does anyone have any thoughts on when or if they will be turned on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)