Alternatives to Hopper/Joey for 2 HDTVs

Does the sling "steal" TV1 when in use? or can someone watch TV1 in HD, while someone else watches different HD via Sling?

And Sling only works for the 722? (so us folks with 622s don't have this option?)

thanks!

the bottom line is that H+J is an $11/month upgrade to get TV2 to be HD vs. (SD with a 622/722)... that seems like a big jump.
The Sling adapter takes over TV2 and only works with 722s, you cannot view TV2 locally and with the adapter simultaneously.

A Slingbox can work with the 622 (or any receiver) and can use either TV1 or TV2 depending on which outputs you have it connected to. If you want HD it will need to be connected to TV1. The local TV and Slingbox can be used simultaneously, but will have to view the same show, and you may have "dueling remotes" between the local and remote user.

I got HD to my bedroom TV from my 922 by using a wireless transmitter. I can hook component, HDMI, composite and PC up to it and send it wirelessly to my HDTV upstairs. I hooked TV1 and TV2 from my 922 to it so I can watch either tuner of the receiver. It works great but it is expensive. Knowing that you are a pretty cheap person this may not work for you either but it is a good option.

I understand your not wishing to go with H/J. However, for the benefit of all reading this thread, I thought I would price out another way of looking at it. I suggest that a valid comparison would be to examine a situation where you already had two independent HD signals to two HDTVs. This is more "even" than considering an HD/SD setup to the Hopper HD/HD setup. Yes, I understand that from HD/SD to H/J costs an extra $11, and it is not worth it to you. But others reading this thread might find this comparison of use.

Let's compare serving two HDTVs with ViP duo receivers (ViP622/722/722K) as opposed to a Hopper/Joey solution.

First Duo, no charge
Second Duo, $17.00
DVR fee, $6.00
AT250, $69.99
Blockbuster, $10.00

TOTAL: $102.99

Hopper, no charge
Joey (or maybe second Hopper), $7.00
DVR fee, $6.00
Whole House fee, $4.00
AT250, $69.99
Blockbuster, $10.00

TOTAL: $96.99

So you could actually SAVE $6.00 per month with H/J. It all depends upon what you're comparing to- you could have a couple of ViP211s, or various other combinations. In this example, you'd lose a satellite tuner, unless they allowed you to have two Hoppers for the same monthly price instead of an H/J. Then you'd be gaining 2 satellite tuners. But you'd be paying almost $200 up front for that. You would not have an OTA tuner until they release that. You'd gain centralized control of all your saved programs. You'd also gain the new user interface and guide. And PTAT.

Last edited:
I understand your not wishing to go with H/J. However, for the benefit of all reading this thread, I thought I would price out another way of looking at it. I suggest that a valid comparison would be to examine a situation where you already had two independent HD signals to two HDTVs. This is more "even" than considering an HD/SD setup to the Hopper HD/HD setup. Yes, I understand that from HD/SD to H/J costs an extra $11, and it is not worth it to you. But others reading this thread might find this comparison of use.

Let's compare serving two HDTVs with ViP duo receivers (ViP622/722/722K) as opposed to a Hopper/Joey solution.

First Duo, no charge
Second Duo, $17.00
DVR fee, $6.00
AT250, $69.99
Blockbuster, $10.00

TOTAL: $102.99

Hopper, no charge
Joey (or maybe second Hopper), $7.00
DVR fee, $6.00
Whole House fee, $4.00
AT250, $69.99
Blockbuster, $10.00

TOTAL: $96.99

So you could actually SAVE $6.00 per month with H/J. It all depends upon what you're comparing to- you could have a couple of ViP211s, or various other combinations. In this example, you'd lose a satellite tuner, unless they allowed you to have two Hoppers for the same monthly price instead of an H/J. Then you'd be gaining 2 satellite tuners. But you'd be paying almost $200 up front for that. You would not have an OTA tuner until they release that. You'd gain centralized control of all your saved programs. You'd also gain the new user interface and guide. And PTAT.

Shouldn't you compare apples to apples. Replace that second Duo receiver with a single tuner HD receiver and your cost goes down $10.00 monthly. This now drives the cost illustrated above to $92.99. Same amount of tuners, or perhaps more if you include OTA, for $4.00 less monthly. This is why it makes no since to upgrade to H/J if you are needing a HD signal in the TV2 location.

I can't say how common a 2xViP setup is.. seems like you are wasting the TV2 SD outputs on each of those.... If you connect even 1 of them.. then you'd need 2 Joeys.. and now the HJ setup is still more expensive (granted in that case you'd get TV3 from SD to HD for only $1.. and even for TV 4, 2 TVs upgraded to HD for $8 would be more reasonable IMO).... the case that sticks out badly in all this is the single ViP customer having to pay $11 extra just to get TV2 from SD to HD. To me that's where the pricing model doesn't work well.

Shrug.. as they say with statistics.. torture numbers long enough and they'll tell you exactly what you want them to ;)

The other missed point here is not only are you paying for this "new technology" in a new whole house fee, but also paying for it in the $7.00 receiver fee. As the previous post states, $11.00 more a month to have HD at TV2. If you pay 69.99 for the programming, this a 15+ percent price hike. Seems excessive and wasteful.

Thought I'd price out two HDTVs with ViP211 series receivers

First receiver, no charge
Second receiver, $7.00
DVR fee, $0.00
AT250, $69.99
Blockbuster, $10.00

TOTAL: $86.99

And two HDTVs with ViP612 receivers

First receiver, no charge
Second receiver, $10.00
DVR fee, $6.00
AT250, $69.99
Blockbuster, $10.00

TOTAL: $95.99

Last edited:
If you really want a two rooms with hd DVR then you could use two 612s. The first is free, the second is 10, and the DVR fee is 6 so that's 16 on top of your programming and other fees. Then you have 4 tuners plus it's in both receivers and not have any wasted tv2 outputs. But that's only $1 less than a hopper and a Joey.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

I suggest that a valid comparison would be to examine a situation where you already had two independent HD signals to two HDTVs. This is more "even" than considering an HD/SD setup to the Hopper HD/HD setup.
If one considers HD to be the primary decision factor, then that is a valid comparison. If an integrated DVR with a central point of management is your top priority, it isn't.

Shouldn't you compare apples to apples. Replace that second Duo receiver with a single tuner HD receiver and your cost goes down $10.00 monthly. This now drives the cost illustrated above to $92.99. Same amount of tuners, or perhaps more if you include OTA, for $4.00 less monthly. This is why it makes no since to upgrade to H/J if you are needing a HD signal in the TV2 location.

Different combinations will yield different costs. I just don't think the price of an HD+SD setup should be expected when moving to an HD+HD setup. And you're getting more than "just" HD at a second TV. The whole package must be considered, and where you place your value. Certainly, many will agree that $11 is too much, all things considered. So they can keep their current HD+SD setups. I think the offering is going to appeal to folks currently paying for one HD+HD setup already, so those comparisons are to be considered, too.

I can't say how common a 2xViP setup is.. seems like you are wasting the TV2 SD outputs on each of those.... If you connect even 1 of them.. then you'd need 2 Joeys.. and now the HJ setup is still more expensive (granted in that case you'd get TV3 from SD to HD for only $1.. and even for TV 4, 2 TVs upgraded to HD for $8 would be more reasonable IMO).... the case that sticks out badly in all this is the single ViP customer having to pay $11 extra just to get TV2 from SD to HD. To me that's where the pricing model doesn't work well.

Shrug.. as they say with statistics.. torture numbers long enough and they'll tell you exactly what you want them to ;)

The advantage of two HD Duos, as I see it, is fewer conflicts. Easy for both people to watch something and record something. The SD outputs are of little use to my wife & I, specifically, and so I think it will be with some number of people. I only briefly hooked up the SD output. I felt it just opened up the possibility of a tuner conflict and wasn't worth it.

The other missed point here is not only are you paying for this "new technology" in a new whole house fee, but also paying for it in the $7.00 receiver fee. As the previous post states, $11.00 more a month to have HD at TV2. If you pay 69.99 for the programming, this a 15+ percent price hike. Seems excessive and wasteful.

That's why we have horse races. Different opinions.

If you really want a two rooms with hd DVR then you could use two 612s. The first is free, the second is 10, and the DVR fee is 6 so that's 16 on top of your programming and other fees. Then you have 4 tuners plus it's in both receivers and not have any wasted tv2 outputs. But that's only $1 less than a hopper and a Joey.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Yep. I gather I posted the post just before yours while you were typing. Many of us, at decision time, chose to avoid ViP612s because of their reputations at the time.

If one considers HD to be the primary decision factor, then that is a valid comparison. If an integrated DVR with a central point of management is your top priority, it isn't.

Yep. And between any 2 people you might get 3 different opinions. Or is that just me? ;) I can't make my mind up. But I'm not troubled, because I won't even consider it seriously until the two Hopper setups are seamless, an OTA module is out, manual recordings can be set at the box, and a whole slew of questions from the "Questions" thread are answered.

For me, the cost difference is +1 if my math is correct.

Old:
722 Included
622 $17
211 $7
211K $7
DVR $6
Total: $37

New, includes an extra Joey to make life easier when the Hoppers can see each other:
Hopper1 Included
Hopper2 $7
Joey1 $7
Joey2 $7
Joey3 $7
DVR+WH $10
Total: $38

If I were doing 1:1 replacement my costs would actually go down. Instead, I would be paying $1 more for the convenience of not needed another cable run through my house.

Cheers,

You would be losing:

1. OTA in your 722, 622 (and 211 and 211K? - not familiar with these guys and if they have OTA).
2. Built in unlimited SD out.

You gain:

1. An HD.
2. Bluetooth
3. New hardware
4. Whole Home DVR
5. PTA

For me ... if I had this many tuners ... I would switch.

theoaK:

Both the 211 and 211K both have OTA capability.

Someone earlier mentioned to Duo + 2 single series receivers. With PTAT, your Sat local in local stuff would be covered via a single tuner. Without the second hopper you could run into issues if you need more than 3 simultaneous recordings outside of PTAT.

You would be losing:

1. OTA in your 722, 622 (and 211 and 211K? - not familiar with these guys and if they have OTA).
2. Built in unlimited SD out.

You gain:

1. An HD.
2. Bluetooth
3. New hardware
4. Whole Home DVR
5. PTA

For me ... if I had this many tuners ... I would switch.

For me, a single 722 to 1H/1J, I'd be losing:

1. OTA in my 722
2. Built in SD out
3. $11/month

I'd gain:

1. An HD.
[strike]2. Bluetooth[/strike] - don't care
2. New hardware
[strike]3. Whole Home DVR[/strike] - oops, already have it
[strike]3. PTA[/strike] - don't care, it would be turned off
3. 1 SAT tuner.

Thought I'd price out two HDTVs with ViP211 series receivers First receiver, no chargeSecond receiver, $7.00DVR fee, $6.00AT250, $69.99Blockbuster, $10.00TOTAL: $92.99And two HDTVs with ViP612 receiversFirst receiver, no chargeSecond receiver, $10.00DVR fee, $6.00AT250, $69.99Blockbuster, $10.00TOTAL: $95.99
There is no monthly dvr fee with the 211's. You pay a one time $40 fee and that's it. So using two 211's would end up being $86.99 per month.

For me, a single 722 to 1H/1J, I'd be losing:

1. OTA in my 722
2. Built in SD out
3. $11/month

I'd gain:

1. An HD.
[strike]2. Bluetooth[/strike] - don't care
2. New hardware
[strike]3. Whole Home DVR[/strike] - oops, already have it
[strike]3. PTA[/strike] - don't care, it would be turned off
3. 1 SAT tuner.

:) I'm in the same boat with a single 622.

do we know if/how-much they will charge to add OTA to H+J ? (to add possible insult to injury)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts