Am-21 Tuner and H-21/H-23 HD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dkendrick59

Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Any idea on when and if the AM-21 tuner will be compatible with the H-21 and/or the H-23 receivers?

If anyone has an idea of if or when, they're not talking.

The DIRECTV website says hook the OTA cable to your TV tuner which makes sense if you have one.

Don't hold your breath.

Seeing the H20/21/23 are incapable of recording the ATSC programming there is no reason to use a tuner built into the receiver instead of a tuner built into the TVset so it is a very low priority to interface the AM21 product. All TV's since 2007 are required to have an ATSC tuner built in so new purchases don't need the AM21.

The problem with this argument is that it doesn't address the issue for those who choose to use standalone recording equipment (computer, DVR, DVDR) for their DIRECTV service.

Harshness you may be correct but the numbers are so small as to be insignificant 2 of my 3 DVD recorders have ATSC tuners built in and a HDTiVo has the ATSC tuner built in.

Harshness you may be correct but the numbers are so small as to be insignificant 2 of my 3 DVD recorders have ATSC tuners built in and a HDTiVo has the ATSC tuner built in.
Many of the affordable new DVD recorders have no tuners at all. None of the old ones do and many computers with capture cards or dongles don't either.

Certainly recording devices with ATSC tuners are available, but they are relatively expensive and with the exception of the tuners, don't offer much more in the way of features or fidelity to warrant replacing existing equipment.

If DirecTV continues this cost cutting practice
they better start the process of adding all the other Digital Local Channels
IE: MynetworkTV.. PBSHD... Indepenadnt Channels like my local WCIU 26 which carries Local sports teams in HD...i also heard Telemundo is going HD next year...

I can and can't understand why so many people are upset that D* dropped the ATSC tuner from the HD receivers... 1st D* stopped installing Off Air Antennas, they offer locals in HD (mostly) but on top of everything they are a Satellite Service Provider and by adding a ATSC to the new models requires them to support off air antennas, which they do not.

I seriously doubt it was a cost saving issue as many have pointed out the tuners are not expensive, but more of a support issue. They did accommodate recording capabilities for HDDVR's with the AM-21 which is not a money making scheme as they give them away if you try.

As far as recording on an alternate device, again this is not something supported by D* so why would they accommodate you for that? If you (and you should) have any AV outputs on the TV then you can record from there, and as some have stated you can use the devices tuner, you need more than one, use a splitter/AV Splitter...

I agree that it is not Diretv's responsibility to service OTA issues but the tuner on the H20 was a thing of beauty. My 40" Samsung LCD has issues with the internal tuner. I was used to a H-20 for the OTA's for use with the Samsung. I was just hoping that D* would make their tuner compatible with the H21/H23 HD receiver's so I would not have the prospect of a repair bill on the Samsung. And yes, it's out of warranty.

There are some people like me who live in crappy little markets like Bowling Green, Ky which directv doesn't carry. I use my H20's ota turner for my locals because my Toshiba TV was made before 2007 and does not have an ota tuner.

I just got an AM21 to go with my HR22 and I can say that while the AM21's tuner is better than the one in my HR20, it isn't as good as the one in the H20-600 I just sent back to D* when I got my HR22.

The problem I have with D* on this is that they won't let me order the AM21 from them on the phone or over the Internet because D* offer HD locals in my market. The problem is that D* doesn't offer me the CW, My Network TV or PBS in HD. I still need an antenna to get them and the weather sub channel on my local CBS. Plus I like to have the antenna as a backup for rain fade.

When I tried to explain this to the CSR he just kept saying that I didn't need to have it. Plus he tried to tell me that the AM21 wouldn't work after the digital cut over next year. What an idiot.

So I ordered it from a different online source and had to pay $10 extra to do so.

I can and can't understand why so many people are upset that D* dropped the ATSC tuner from the HD receivers... 1st D* stopped installing Off Air Antennas, they offer locals in HD (mostly) but on top of everything they are a Satellite Service Provider and by adding a ATSC to the new models requires them to support off air antennas, which they do not.

I seriously doubt it was a cost saving issue as many have pointed out the tuners are not expensive, but more of a support issue. They did accommodate recording capabilities for HDDVR's with the AM-21 which is not a money making scheme as they give them away if you try.

As far as recording on an alternate device, again this is not something supported by D* so why would they accommodate you for that? If you (and you should) have any AV outputs on the TV then you can record from there, and as some have stated you can use the devices tuner, you need more than one, use a splitter/AV Splitter...

Why an ATSC tuner is a good idea:
1. subchannels. D* doesn't have the bandwidth to put the subchannels on the satellite. Subchannels are especially important in smaller markets that carry multiple network feeds. Some towns have FOX and MY TV (or ABC and FOX) on the same ATSC channel, just different subchannel.
2. Weather. snow and thunderstorms knock out the satellite feed. Nice to have OTA feeds with an antenna
3. Guide scrolling. Easy to navigate between channels when they're all integrated into one system. Switching between TV inputs is a pain most people won't deal with.
4. Picture quality. less compression on OTA
5. LIN and other mercenaries are holding D* viewers hostage with excessive carry costs. If you have an OTA option in the guide, you can get the station without worrying about the latest carriage agreement.
6. Dish Network has OTA compatibility either built in or as an accessory. D* needs to remain competetive.
7. PBS HD. D* does not carry it right now. PBS also has multiple subchannels. D* will never carry all of this. You need OTA to get it.

that's a start...

No one should expect D* to put up your OTA antenna. But, we should continue to plead for an integrated ATSC tuner or at least the AM21 to be compatible with all receivers and DVRs. Frankly, I'm getting tired of making this point 1,000 times. D* is not responsive enough to the consumer and that looks bad.

I just got an AM21 to go with my HR22 and I can say that while the AM21's tuner is better than the one in my HR20, it isn't as good as the one in the H20-600 I just sent back to D* when I got my HR22.

The problem I have with D* on this is that they won't let me order the AM21 from them on the phone or over the Internet because D* offer HD locals in my market. The problem is that D* doesn't offer me the CW, My Network TV or PBS in HD. I still need an antenna to get them and the weather sub channel on my local CBS. Plus I like to have the antenna as a backup for rain fade.

When I tried to explain this to the CSR he just kept saying that I didn't need to have it. Plus he tried to tell me that the AM21 wouldn't work after the digital cut over next year. What an idiot.

So I ordered it from a different online source and had to pay $10 extra to do so.

I'm set for an install on Nov 1 and the AM21 is supposed to be included free because not all of my HD locals are in their pacakage. When I called about which DVR I'd get, they can't tell me. It sounds like the HR22 is the receiver I need to use the AM21.

I'm set for an install on Nov 1 and the AM21 is supposed to be included free because not all of my HD locals are in their pacakage. When I called about which DVR I'd get, they can't tell me. It sounds like the HR22 is the receiver I need to use the AM21.

The AM21 will work with either the HR21 or the HR22 HD DVR.

5. LIN and other mercenaries are holding D* viewers hostage with excessive carry costs. If you have an OTA option in the guide, you can get the station without worrying about the latest carriage agreement.

LIN and DirecTV do have an agreement in place but the reason is still valid for other station owners now and in the future that could pull the rights.

H21 AM21 intergration

None of these posts address the desire on the part of many users to have an integrated UI for local and Pay channels simply for the ease of use. I would vote for a product every time that allows the integration of an OTA receiver with the Sat Receiver.

None of these posts address the desire on the part of many users to have an integrated UI for local and Pay channels simply for the ease of use. I would vote for a product every time that allows the integration of an OTA receiver with the Sat Receiver.

Integration of standard receivers isn't nearly as interesting as OTA integration on a DVR where integration means the difference between being able to record OTA or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)