AM-21, will the Database be updated?

PFDarkside

Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Illinois
Living in the Midwest, the AM-21 has been very useful for recording and watching the big 4 networks during thunderstorms and snowstorms. Had it not been for this ability I’d either have been forced to get an OTA DVR, optimize the online streaming experience or add a simple cable DVR while my DirecTV contract was in place to make my wife happy... ;)

My area had its “rescan day” 10/18/19 and now most of the OTA channels are not working on the AM-21. (I rescanned on my TV and of course they come in now on the TV’s tuner.... just need AM-21 for DVR purposes) Any ideas if the database the AM-21 uses will be updated with the new virtual channel assignments? Any other ideas to solve my issues other than a standalone DVR for the antenna?

Worked great, thanks!

Does the AM-21 work with the latest hardware? (I think mine is an HR44/500 or 700, if I upgraded would I lose the ability to do OTA?)

To expand upon Jimbo's post... you CAN upgrade to 4K, but make sure you get them to install the HR54 receiver. There are some very minor 4K limitations, but with the HR54, you can keep other receivers on your account, too, like an HR24. The limitations have to do with the number of 4K channels you can watch at once. The "Genie 2" (HS17) does not support any OTA for some unknown reason, and they will not allow you to have other receivers - just the HS17 and a client on each TV. The HS17 lets you watch more 4K channels at once, but there is so little 4K programming that it doesn't really matter.

The 4K upgrade is the only upgrade from the HR44, and to me it's not worth it. It seems very buggy from the posts on this and similar forums and lots of people say the quality isn't that good most of the time on the live events.

Reactions: Jimbo
Yes ....except for the HS17 ...

To expand upon Jimbo's post... you CAN upgrade to 4K, but make sure you get them to install the HR54 receiver. There are some very minor 4K limitations, but with the HR54, you can keep other receivers on your account, too, like an HR24. The limitations have to do with the number of 4K channels you can watch at once. The "Genie 2" (HS17) does not support any OTA for some unknown reason, and they will not allow you to have other receivers - just the HS17 and a client on each TV. The HS17 lets you watch more 4K channels at once, but there is so little 4K programming that it doesn't really matter.

The 4K upgrade is the only upgrade from the HR44, and to me it's not worth it. It seems very buggy from the posts on this and similar forums and lots of people say the quality isn't that good most of the time on the live events.

Thanks guys!

Now that I have gotten past my initial issues with my 4k client, everything has worked very well.

I disagree with the notion D* 4k doesn't work very well. While some have issues, most do not. For me, the 4k picture is stunning on live sporting events.

HR54, C61K, HR24 here - 65" LG OLED at the proper height about 8' away from my couch.

I disagree with the notion D* 4k doesn't work very well. While some have issues, most do not. For me, the 4k picture is stunning on live sporting events.

HR54, C61K, HR24 here - 65" LG OLED at the proper height about 8' away from my couch.

It isn't even 4K on the events sometimes - The NFL is 1080p upconverted. I have 720p shown on the 4K TV, basically the same thing in my book. If someone switched the channel when you left the room, I bet you wouldn't even notice! I am curious how the real 4K ESPN college football looks.

Update: Very small sample size, but the ESPN 4K broadcasts are not getting good reviews, either.

And theres the issue ... with alot of people.

8' away, is great for 4k, 8' or less.
My set up is similar to yours ...
Hr54, C61k, HR24's 65" Sony OLED.

However, I am typically 15' or so away from the TV.

It isn't even 4K on the events sometimes - The NFL is 1080p upconverted. I have 720p shown on the 4K TV, basically the same thing in my book. If someone switched the channel when you left the room, I bet you wouldn't even notice! I am curious how the real 4K ESPN college football looks.

Update: Very small sample size, but the ESPN 4K broadcasts are not getting good reviews, either.

I think alot of it has to do with the Higher end TV's that have Top of the Line Processors make a huge difference ...

I can actually watch Non HD shows Star Trek NG, sometimes X-Files now nand actually see what they are suppose to look like.
I think the X-Files was shot in 480i or p ... due to the low light level in most scenes ... I can actually SEE whats going on now.

I absolutely would - even on the FS1 broadcasts. I'll admit HD looks great on my TV as well, but 4k HDR is stunning.

Reactions: longhorn23

I record all 4 versions sometimes and I can def notice the difference even with it being 1080p upscaled. And with the 4 real 4k ESPN broadcast, I thought the LSU Florida game looked amazing. I wasn't as impressed with Oregon Washington, but still looked great.

It isn't even 4K on the events sometimes - The NFL is 1080p upconverted. I have 720p shown on the 4K TV, basically the same thing in my book. If someone switched the channel when you left the room, I bet you wouldn't even notice!

That's ridiculous. The 720p/1080i broadcasts are at most 8-10 Mbps MPEG4 on Directv. On OTA if you have a few subchannels it is basically 12 Mbps MPEG2. The 4K broadcasts are somewhere in the ballpark of 30 Mbps HEVC, which is roughly equivalent to 50 Mbps MPEG4 or 80 Mbps MPEG2. If you can't tell the difference between 12 Mbps MPEG2 and 80 Mbps MPEG2, even at SD resolution, you need your eyes checked.

The resolution isn't what makes the 4K broadcasts look better, it is the bandwidth and the HDR (actually the wide color gamut that comes along with it much more than the "HDR")

Anyway, back to the real subject...

my local CBS station, WCAX, moved RF frequencies from 22 to 20 on Thursday. Since then, nothing will get 3-1 and 3-2 to come in on the AM21. I have re-run it. When I did that, I would see duplicates like this...

3-1 WCAXDT (from Directv, no signal, with guide data)
3-1 WCAX-HD (from OTA, no guide data, but the picture/sound works)
3-2 WCAXDT2 (from Directv, no signal, with guide data)
3-2 Movies (from OTA, no guide data, but the picture/sound works)
3-3 WCAXDT3 (from Directv, this one works for some reason, with guide data)
3-3 ion (from OTA, no guide data, also works)
3-4 StartTV (from OTA, never added to the database, no guide data, it works)

However, when I re-ran it, the duplicates that work with just the PSIP name disappeared. So only 3-3 and 3-4 work now. I do not understand why 3-3 (ion) works when all of the others in the database do not. This is not a split or shared signal. Everything is RF20 and there are no sister channels on other PSIP numbers.

I have the same duplicate OTA channels problem caused by rescan day. The channel with the guide data doesn't show the programs, and the channel that just shows "regular schedule" will show the program. This means I can't use the DVR for OTA programs. I heard from DirecTV tech support that the LCC is discontinued, so there isn't any reason for DirecTV to update the database. Sounds like it is time to cut the cord and get a Tivo.

I have the same duplicate OTA channels problem caused by rescan day. The channel with the guide data doesn't show the programs, and the channel that just shows "regular schedule" will show the program. This means I can't use the DVR for OTA programs. I heard from DirecTV tech support that the LCC is discontinued, so there isn't any reason for DirecTV to update the database. Sounds like it is time to cut the cord and get a Tivo.
I'm not sure I would beleive what that CSR told you.

Also - I find it ironic that you would cancel your satellite TV subscription because your OTA doesn't work. :glasses

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)